Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Is Rock and Roll Extreme any good in the muck?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I've just cleaned and dried my chain and was considering trying Rock and Roll lube again.

What are people's experiences of it for winter use? And how long do you give it between applications? Do you clean chain completely each time?

Thanks!

soobalias
    Free Member

i owned a bottle once.

hated it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I used to use it for a short while.

Its perfectly good as a chain lube, but doesn't really last much longer in these winter conditions than any other lube, but is amongst one of the most expensive. This is made worse that you are supposed to use quite alot of it per application.

Pound for pound, finish line wet lube is hard to beat for winter conditions; or a nice thick transmission oil.

Its muckier than R'n'R though.

uplink
    Free Member

I use it all year round – great stuff IMO

In really crappy conditions – eg this weekend in the Peaks – it lasts around 4-5hrs before the chain starts getting a bit noisy

Never clean the chain as such – it stays clean by using R 'n' R

after every ride …..
    Wash bike
    Wipe chain to dry it a bit
    Apply R 'n' R & spin pedals around for 20 secs or so
    Wipe of as much as possible
    job done

Do as it says on the bottle & it's great – do your own thing with it & it wont work

KINGTUT
    Free Member

R&R is great in the summer but pish in the mud and gloop, the Muc Off chain lube is very good in shitty conditions.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I like it, but I got given the bottle gratis.

jedi

i have always rated it as best lube. use it on my bikes since i first got it years ago

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I bought a bottle – still have half of it left – cos I don't use it any more. I found it useless

Motorcycle chain wax for the win ( the melt on the stove stuff). A year since I started using it and chain life is many times greater – dunno by how much 'cos I haven't worn out a chain since instead of a chain every 500 – 1000 miles

goog
    Free Member

its really rather quite crap

AndyRT
    Free Member

Try squirt, much much better, and no solvents

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I've used the melt on a stove stuff that TJ's talking about for about 6months now.

Its fine in dry and intermediate conditions, infact, I think I lubed my chain once a month in summer, its that good, but in proper wet mud It doesn't last more than 4-5 hours – which is every ride for me. Given the faff of melting and hanging and waiting for it too cool, I'm not bothering with it any more in the proper winter. Fine for the other three seasons I though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers all, classic STW split decision there.

I already have the lube (which I got half price), but was wanting I find out if it was particularly poor in wet and mud at all.

It sounds like it's not, but may be a complete waste of time or the best lube on the market anyway.

I'll give it a blast again. Cheers all.

jedi

motorbike wax affects shifting

rock and roll for the win

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Gotta agree with jedi here.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Not IME jedi.

Definitely not on the SS.
    😀

allthepies
    Free Member

So it's either brilliant or sh*te.

Gotta love STW 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not IME jedi Have you ever used the melt on stuff jedi / ADH ?- lovely lubed chain the whole time – far better shifting. I have been using this on 4 bikes for a year and no shifting issues until it eventually comes out off the chain – the commuters only needed lubing every 300 -500 miles

My experience is not quite the same as Science officers – the wax gets scraped off the outside of the chain in the mud but remains in the bushes where it is most needed. You can tell 'cos if you run your finger along a seemingly dry chain you get two lines of grease on your finger where it comes out from between the rollers and the side plates I am lubing even in winter every hundred miles or so on the MTBs.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The reverse is true for me TJ.

I still have wax on the outside, but its been washed/ground out of the rollers so that they rattle they're so dry.

I expect its differing geological substrate and riding patterns that make the difference.

jedi

my mate used to run a motorcross shop so we tried laods.
    great on ss/bmx but shite for shifting

bigbloke
    Free Member

Used R and R for a couple of years, no complaints here.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Interesting science officer.

Jedi – simply not IME Shifting is fine. 4 bikes run with it for a year and the shifting is better as you have a better lubed chain for more of the time

Perhaps its a different product to what you used. Putoline chain wax

Shows how hard it is to get a definitive answer for anything :-). I will not go back to conventional lube

jedi

thats why cycling is so diverse and interesting. or we'd all be riding the same bikes!

choice my friends ,rules

sq225917
    Free Member

Finish line wet if i can't be arsed washing every ride, finish line dry teflon if i can.

mudpup
    Free Member

Purple Extreme

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Is Rock and Roll Extreme any good in the muck?’ is closed to new replies.