• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • is receiving a monetary gift taxable?
  • granny_ring

Probably a stupid question but if you were to receive a 6.5k cheque as a gift do you have to declare it?
    TIA

tomhoward

Only if the person who gives it to you dies in the next 7 years, and qualifies for inheritance tax iirc

theotherjonv

not as far as i know; only situation where it could be is if it’s gifting to avoid inheritance tax and they don’t last I think it’s 7 years afterwards.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/gifts-and-exemptions-from-inheritance-tax

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickc

I think the limit is £3K…

might want to check with CAB

footflaps
    madhouse

I guess it’d depend on who the gift was from!

granny_ring

Cheers.
    So looking at the links, if a persons estate is less than 325k there is no inheritance tax to pay and if it was higher than that then the tax on the ‘gift’is pro-rata for up 7 years if the person dies?

granny_ring

Gift would be from a parent.

thecaptain
    Free Member

The £3000 exemption is for the giver and can be carried forward one year meaning a single gift of £6000 can be immediately and unconditionally exempt from inheritance tax. Beyond that, keep records and keep them in good health tho in practice I bet no-one would catch such a small transgression.

RichPenny
    Free Member

The way I’ve read that, if less than £325k is given away then no inheritance tax is payable?

kcal

depends what the estate (plus any PETs added back in, pro rata) would be at time of death – rather than what’s given away..

Speeder

Talking hypothetically what about gifts to friends if you won the lottery and wanted to spread the love a little? It’s not inheritance and it’s not income.

I know I could google it but well . . . . this is STW. ;o)

I caved and looked it up inheritance tax rules apply whatever it seems . .

granny_ring

Speeder, I am your new best friend. Hi 😀

thecaptain
    Free Member

Speeder, it is indeed inheritance (for the recipients), just as much as if you’d earnt it.

FuzzyWuzzy

As long as Speeder doesn’t die within the 7 years though it’s not classed as part of his estate so isn’t subject to inheritance tax

Klunk
    Free Member

Can’t you put in trust to get round the 7 years thing (if you think you’re going to wrap the porsche round a tree), obviously they can’t spend it for what ever the period is.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘is receiving a monetary gift taxable?’ is closed to new replies.