Viewing 6 posts - 201 through 206 (of 206 total)
  • Is obesity really a disease?
  • mickolas
    Free Member

no backpedal whatsoever. patches and gum are worse than useless. never said otherwise. they give people the illusion of quitting, without helping one iota. since you haven’t been reading what I’ve been saying, yet feel compelled to argue anyway – I’m out.

last words:

1 – you came into this very sure that replacements are A Good Thing. as a professed non-smoker, I do wonder what you base this confidence on. it certainly is not logic or case study.

2 – I hope you never choose to ‘help’ anyone you care about to give up smoking. you would be naught but a hindrance.

best wishes to you. goodnight.

Northwind

mickolas – Member

no backpedal whatsoever. patches and gum are worse than useless. never said otherwise.

mickolas – Member

“So to conclude, NRT with counselling = somewhat effective.

I don’t need to argue with you, you argue with yourself.

mickolas – Member

2 – I hope you never choose to ‘help’ anyone you care about to give up smoking. you would be naught but a hindrance.

I’ll tell my mum, this’ll give her a laugh, considering she just quit after 40 years. With NRT and my hindrance.

mickolas
    Free Member

good luck to her, and I genuinely mean that. Peace.

Northwind

Thanks man, I do appreciate that.

mogrim

I DO believe in the ‘World Without Cancer’ theory. (See how the caps make it truer :wink:.) Not for any justifiable reason, though, and I certainly wouldn’t try and impose my view on anyone else. It just ‘feels’ right. Maybe that opens me up for mocking, but it’s the truth; sometimes we DO believe things for no good reason.

If I was forced to justify it (like at gunpoint or something) then I would argue that if it is a hoax perpetrated by the authors, then I fail to see what it would benefit them. There is no monetary value to the discovery, and the vid is available for free. Unless it is a conspiracy involving the underground peach-growers cartel?

On the other hand, if it were true, it would threaten the wealth of a lot of powerful people; so it is only natural to see it discredited – mogrim: are you a secret Pharmaceutical agent sent on STW to undermine “the truth”?

That’s me, 008, Secret Agent with licence to pill.

Thing about cancer cure conspiracy theories is that they all rely on the only source of information / cures coming for Evil Big Pharma, which is patently false. If there really were a panacea, doctors and public researchers would be shouting it from the rooftops. The fact they aren’t is a pretty reliable indicator that it doesn’t exist.

alaslas
    Free Member

Maybe it’s already been said, but people tend to think of obesity as being similar in kind to addiction. Well, that’s one component of it.

Having known a morbidly obese person, it seems patently clear to me that it is a disease in that obesity is physiologically global.

Like anorexia, it most often originates in a psychological issue, affecting behaviour, appetite, outlook, social behaviour, and, most importantly, health. The co-morbidities involved in obesity are many, and the origins of the problem are plural.

It’s certainly not as simple as saying that you are what you eat – to the obese, what you eat is a symptom and a cause of the problem.

Viewing 6 posts - 201 through 206 (of 206 total)

The topic ‘Is obesity really a disease?’ is closed to new replies.