Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is Now TV any good?
  • lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

I want to watch the latest season of Curb Your Enthusiasm and I see that I can watch this on Now TV. I believe the show is on Sky Atlantic but I don’t want a Sky contract. So how does Now TV work? Does my TV need to be connected to the internet or a satellite dish?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yes it’s very good.

It is, in essence all the Sky Premium content for less than buying the same via Sat.

It’s streamed over the net, so you need to connect to that – it’s technically needs about 4Mbps to run properly in HD – so bear that in mind, especially if you have kids with tablets / gaming stuff etc.

You can watch stuff as it broadcasts live, or after the event without ads, which is lovely. Sometimes the moment it ends, or sometimes the next day.

The only slight downside is it’s limited to a number of devices and they limit how many devices you can on board/off board a month, and if your device takes a shit and needs to be factory reset it will think it’s a new device, only happened to me once and they sorted it for me via livechat.

trailwagger
    Free Member

You buy a now tv box (assuming your tv doesn’t have the app built in).

That connect via cable or wifi to your router.

I have it for a couple of years now. When it first came out it was great, but less so recently. They seem to be adding less content lately, we really don’t watch much on it at all now.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johnners
    Free Member

What P-Jay said. Maximum resolution is 720p though, if that matters to you. 4 devices, 2 of which can be used simultaneously.

It’s easy to drop in and out, you only need to buy a month at a time so in theory you could pay your £7.99, hoover up all of Curb in a month and never use it again.

jimdubleyou

I have suspended mine whilst Game of Boobs and Dragons isn’t on.

They have a fair bit of content on there, but it can drop off fairly quickly – e.g each episode of GoT is only in for a few weeks when it first airs.

It’s good for box sets of older stuff.

jon1973
    Free Member

Use vouchers rather than paying by direct debit as it’s a lot cheaper.

Vouchers give you 2 months of movies for £15 or 3 month entertainment, compared to £9.99 and £7.99 a month respectively.

You can buy vouchers at places like Game or Smiths. Sometimes you pick up some really good deals.

If you’ve never subscribed before they’re doing some good black Friday deals on the NOW TV website.

We dip in and out. We get the movies for a couple of months and then cancel, wait a couple of months for some new films to premier and then subscribe again.

ffej
    Free Member

The 99 quid for a years Entertainment and Cinema pass is a good deal if you’re happy to stump up the cash in advance. It’s available for new and existing customers.

Jeff

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s streamed over the net, so you need to connect to that – it’s technically needs about 4Mbps to run properly in HD

This. My BT connection regularly slows to 1Mps (target rate 3-5) and as such streaming only is no good. It’s often slow at busy times of the day like the evening when I would most want to watch a programme. Apps like iPkayer are less reliant as you can download the programms first

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

Thanks for all the information folks, much appreciated

Kryton57

Yes very good. Just watched the Autumn Rugby internationals, suspended sports now until the 6n Feb next year.

We did however find a £5 one-month pass for Sky Movies which we’ve just switched on as my wife is convalescing at home and for Christmas. Watch three movies already so that’s already valued gains vs rentals.

As above, Entertainment is suspended until GoT returns.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is Now TV any good?’ is closed to new replies.