Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Is now an okay time to buy hope brakes or would you hold out?
  • officerfriendly
    Free Member

I’m looking at buying the Race Evo E4s but it seems they haven’t updated them in almost three years. Would it be worth holding out for a newer model or should I just buy them? I’m getting them for £100 each, thanks 🙂

philjunior
    Free Member

You could get hit by a bus tomorrow.

If you want them, buy them. In a year, or two, or ten, there’ll be a newer, “better” version out. Buy another set then if you think the benefits are worth it.

cokie

If you want them, get them. If a new model comes out, that doesn’t make yours function any worse.
    Hopes hold their value quite well- so you could also sell and buy the new ones for little loss.
    There’s no telling when Hope release things. They tend to take a long time.

Northwind

Even if they update tomorrow, today’s brakes will be just as good (I’m still using 5 year old formulas on all my bikes, they’re just as great as they were in 2011.)

And of course if you like them, there’s no guarantee that you’ll like the next model as much. Brakes aren’t just better/worse, there’s a huge amount of taste in there too.

dmorts

You could get hit by a bus tomorrow.

…and that could be due to not having decent brakes 😀

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’ll just get them then. I didn’t want to shell out a lot of money buying the newest brakes then have them release a new range next week I guess. But yeah, good point, they’ll still be amazing brakes. Has anyone had any experience with the Race Evo E4s? Apparently the power is the same as the techs, I just prefer the way the lever looks. I’m putting them on a Moonlander. I could get the V4s for an extra for £40, but I don’t know if they’re necessary? I’m already spending £270 inc rotors..

Thanks for helping clear my conscience =D

fletch71
    Free Member

Where has them for £100?

Buy them !

breninbeener

Link for the £100 deal?

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Hahaha LBS is doing em for me, sorry guys. So they’re good enough brakes?

stevied
    Free Member

I’ll just pop this here for you: (0) 1282 851400

😈

austy
    Free Member

I have a set of the race evo e4 brakes and think they are awesome easily get the rear wheel up nice and easy with only a 180mm rotor up front on my sb66.

Feels like there is loads of power but it only increases not full on straight away.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Stevie, is that the number for hope…

Austy that sounds fantastic! Really looking forward to getting them, I kind of already ordered them lol

stevied
    Free Member

Stevie, is that the number for hope…

Yeah…just joking, my old M4’s were great brakes and never needed any aftercare 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

I have Race Evo M4 and Tech 3 E4 on my bikes. I prefer the lever adjustability of the Tech 3 lever but soon forget which is which when I’m riding. Great brakes!

officerfriendly
    Free Member

So I bought the brakes, but seriously pissed off as they don’t seem to be working properly. Bought the hope discs as LBS insisted, said nothing else would work as well and flat out refused to sell me the brakes without the discs. Ask me if I want 203 or 200 up front, I say 203 because it’s the standard. Then bought the hope adaptors. I bought a tech m4 a month or so ago and it was super easy to install, just put them on, pull the lever and bolt. Worked, and zero, zero, zero rubbing at all. So I figure this will be a doddle, and they let me use the stand there to install it so I do. I install it but it keeps rubbing. LBS has a go and installs it but it still keeps rubbing. The adaptors are correct, we check. They suggest facing the brake mounts will help. So I pay them to do that too. They install the brakes but it’s still rubbing. They say it rubs a bit but it’s okay. But I don’t want it to **** rub. That’s why I paid £300 for a new set of brakes. They then have the audacity to blame me saying it’s my fault because I opted for the wrong size rotors, that I should have got 200??? The weird thing is it was running fine with a 203 rotor, same adaptor and M4 Race Evo brakes?

/end rant (sorry!) Can anyone please offer some advice? It’s going on a Surly Moonlander if that helps?

Twodogs

Ride it for 5 mins and they’ll be fine

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Without meaning to insult but is the mounting bracket the right way around? I hope you get it sorted, they’re lovely brakes

Phil_H

There’s a caliper alignment video on the hope Web site.

teethgrinder

officerfriendly – Member
    So I bought the brakes, but seriously pissed off as they don’t seem to be working properly. Bought the hope discs as LBS insisted, said nothing else would work as well and flat out refused to sell me the brakes without the discs.

Your LBS is a bag of dicks.

dirtydog
    Free Member

As above, they may just need bedding in, depending on where /how they’re rubbing.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Why didn’t you wait until September when the E5 is launched – solves this brake rub issue as well as being more powerful for the same weight.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

I’ll try that, thanks, but it’s rubbing a heck of a lot. Will the rubbing really just go after riding it a bit? The Tech M4 I bought worked perfectly from the second I installed it.

Mowgli, I’m pretty sure they were, but may be worth double checking! I’ve left the bike with the LBS, they’re going to have a look at it and hopefully sort it out.

Thanks Phil, I’ll give it a look if they don’t seem to be able to do it.

Teethgrinder, it is annoying that they said that, but they did do me the brakes for £100 an end! Why do you say that they’re a bag of dicks? heh

edit: thegreatape, jesus in september??? That was the whole point of this thread, if you’d mentioned it earlier I would never have bought them!! I doubt they’ll let me return them now..

teethgrinder

Because they made you by rotors as well. Your OP states £100 an end but your post above stated £300. If that’s right you paid £50 each for rotors when £12 each from superstar would work perfectly.

chipster

teethgrinder – Member

Your LBS is a bag of dicks.

+1

Phil_H – Member
    There’s a caliper alignment video on the hope Web site.

+ another.
    I put some new Tech3 E4s on my new Solaris recently, had the same problem as you, following the above video sorted it.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

It was really annoying actually, I just wanted to get some cheap deore discs for a tenner and be done with it. I bought the new superstar ones with the fins but they would not stop going on about how “shit” they were, they literally used that word. It’s just a steel disc, jeez. I still have them. They promised it would work perfectly and wouldn’t sell me the brakes without the rotors so I just did. They did the rotors for £35 each and a brake adaptor for a tenner, I just rounded it up, but with the brake facing it came to about that much. Pretty **** annoying tbh.

Wow, thanks chipster, I’ll most definitely have to give it a look now!

breninbeener

Can anyone tell me more about the e5 brakes mentioned above?

RustyMac

calling thegreatape CALLING THEGREATAPE,

Please could you update these lovely gullible missguided people on the new latest spangly “E5” break that is not going to be due out from Hope 😉 😉 😉

teethgrinder

E5’s are 5-pot. More Endoooooro.

RustyMac

I think you will find they are 5-pot transverse axle…

3-pot on the outside 2-pot on the inside of the front brake to help deal with uneven rotational braking forces of having no drive and just the disk on the LHS of the wheel then on the rear the 3-pot goes on the inside to help negate the braking forces of the drive side of the wheel. 😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

E5’s are primarily intended for biffers (or ‘clydesdales’ in American parlance) over 100kg, but are also likely to offer an advantage to anyone in the 80-100kg weight range who’s riding is rad^sick. Hope this helps.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ve only just bought a set of E4s but I’m going to add the fifth pot to upgrade them to E5. I’ve heard it improves modulation

plus-one

The S4 is due soon too it’s a super light version of the E4 tricked out with carbon and titanium ..

I’m waiting 🙂

teethgrinder

Like adding a fifth injector to a Cossie.

Northwind

officerfriendly – Member

It was really annoying actually, I just wanted to get some cheap deore discs for a tenner and be done with it. I bought the new superstar ones with the fins but they would not stop going on about how “shit” they were,

Some of the lower end shimano discs are rated for resin pads only- not sure if deore are covered in this. The old Superstar ones genuinely were shit but I’ve not used the current ones.

Your LBS do seem to be arseholes though. The Hope 203/200mm rotor thing is just weird imo, what’s teh point of it, just causes confusion… But it shouldn’t really cause lateral rubbing anyway. Are the discs true? Often overlooked but brand new discs are often a little bent, just from transit/storage, I always give them a wee check when fitted.

russyh
    Free Member

My absolute favorite thing about Hope is they sell 200mm Rotors but not the necessary adapters, only 203’s. I quizzed them over this and they told me to buy another manufacturers adapter. I couldn’t find one and modified what i already had. My Tech 3 E4’s rubbed but only ever so slightly after proper setup and 1 ride the problem went away.

Rubber_Buccaneer

not the necessary adapters

I am about to buy a couple of Hope ‘L’ adaptors for 200mm discs because the ‘other’ manufacturers adaptors don’t fit the E4 calipers. I’ve bodged a Shimano adaptor by filing it but the Avid one I have is way beyond being made to fit.

spawnofyorkshire

Are the E5’s Boost compatible?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Boost only

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Some of the lower end shimano discs are rated for resin pads only- not sure if deore are covered in this. The old Superstar ones genuinely were shit but I’ve not used the current ones.
    Your LBS do seem to be arseholes though. The Hope 203/200mm rotor thing is just weird imo, what’s teh point of it, just causes confusion… But it shouldn’t really cause lateral rubbing anyway. Are the discs true? Often overlooked but brand new discs are often a little bent, just from transit/storage, I always give them a wee check when fitted.

Well I bought an SLX rotor for the Tech M4 I recently bought and it works fantastic, easily brings the whole bike up! The irritating thing was they wouldnt tell me why or provide any reason, they were just “shit” apparently!
    It is kind of weird actually and reading about how Hope don’t make 200mm adapters (why??) I think I picked the right size. And yup, that’s a fantastic point, it shouldn’t cause lateral rubbing because of this anyway. Not sure, but that may be worth looking into, they have the bike so I’m picking it up tommorow, will see what they say. Thanks for the advice! (:

On another note I don’t know how I thought five piston brakes would even work..

Northwind

Maybe the 200mm disc is a legacy thing? Like, they offer discs for people who have old 200mm setups but they don’t encourage new users?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Is now an okay time to buy hope brakes or would you hold out?’ is closed to new replies.