Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is now a good time to stock up on heating oil?
  • Tiboy

I’ve always though it’d be a good idea to buy oil in the summer when demand is low, but somehow the price doesn’t seem to have dropped much??

So, is it a good idea to fill up now? and if so what sort of price have people paid recently?

Ta muchly for any advice and/or prices to try and match! 😀

richmars

Keep an eye on this.

dti

Usually, but I hear that it’s still around 55p per litre – but coming down slowly.

see http://www.boilerjuice.co.uk for patterns – general trend is always up!

spacemonkey

Put it this way, last Xmas was a horrible time for buying oil; 75p/litre and all sorts of delays because of the snow etc. We stupidly got caught out and had to use an electric heater for about 3 wks. Not good.

Bear in mind oil is currently in the mid 50s, I’d say buy now. IMO it won’t got down more than 1-2p. And by winter it’ll be up in the 70s or maybe even 80s.

Also check out the BJ group buying weekends – you might get a little extra off too.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Based on your reasoning, perhaps leave it til end of August. Your cash might be best in your account, than in the tank. Based on global demand, wars, terrorism, that Arab spring thing and all the other factors, who knows? Lindsey Oil Refinery might explode tomorrow morning. 😉

frogstomp

Also, ring around a few places to get quotes rather than relying on BoilerJuice.. they were ‘exposed’ earlier in the year because they own or are related to all of the companies that they provide quotes for, so it’s not exactly an independent price comparison.

Personally, if I can eke out what I’ve got in the tank, I’ll be looking at refilling around the end of August / beginning of September.. can’t see it dropping below 50p/litre on the current trends though.

richmars

I turn my immersion heater on for hot water during the summer, 2 hours a day is enough. Seems to be cheaper than running the oil boiler.

Tiboy

Thanks for the advice all, had been looking at boilerjuice and was hoping it would drop a bit more like it did last summer 😕

Best quote I’ve had is 54.15+VAT, does that sounds reasonable to people, seems to stack up with the prices on BJ, but interested to know with all the bad press whether their prices are artificially inflated 😯

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I presume that’s phoning round the local suppliers out of the yellow pages or similar? is it COD or account?

totalshell

oil price is subdued at the mo. because of relaxing of 90 day rule ( developed countries HAVE to keep minimum oil stocks of 90 days , this has relased an extra 3% onto the open market, price possibly as low as it will be for rest of year. so bank some now.
    on the immersion heater issue you may be surprised about how little you have to have the thing on ( winter or summer) start with the temperature, make sure its set at close to 60 degrees C ( any more and limescale will build up any lower and its ideal for bugs to live in.) start with an hour in the Am before anyone gets up and see how it goes.. in a 4 bed household with 4 people ours is on for 30 minutes a day.. and we never run out. keep the tank insulated and at leats the first metre of pipe out of it lagged with max thickness insulation

Tiboy

that was phoning round local suppliers, cash price, I don’t have an account with anyone yet 😀

Sounds like it might be worth topping up. Immersion heater is ok, but our tank is uninsulated as we need a decent airing cupboard as our house has no central heating, so pretty much the only way to dry clothes. We do have a rayburn though not a boiler, so on slumber all the time. 😕

totalshell

daft as it might sound even though you need the heat from the cylinder for the airing cupboard still insulate it you ll be surprised how warm the cupbaord will get ( its very small and the cylinder may take up to 50% of its volume) even fully wrapped your clothes will still dry. lag those pipes.. preserve the heat you ve spent money generating..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is now a good time to stock up on heating oil?’ is closed to new replies.