Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is non-flective UV glass worth the premium for print-framing?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

I don’t mind so much paying the additional extra for UV protected glass, but to step up to non reflective glass is going to cost me a further £90 on the print I’m having framed.

Trouble is, having seen an examples of the various glasses in situ over the print – the non reflective stuff clearly looked better. In fact, at some angles you couldnt even tell it was there. It’s just so bloody expensive!

Stoner
    Free Member

my brother had some prints done with that stuff. does look good, although there’s a slight matt effect I think (well duh, otherwise it would be shiny glossy) that’s a bit weird.

orangespyderman

Yes.

binners

Well worth it IMHO. Its expensive for a reason.

Chatting to the guy who does my printing, on Sunday, he told me that despite it being at least 5 times the price, he makes far less profit on it, as its so expensive to get in. Yet he advises everyone to use it, as it makes so much difference to the end result. If you’re having something framed because you love it enough to put up on your wall and look at every day, its a bit of a no brainer

slimjim78
    Free Member

Yeah that was kind of my thinking. Takes the total cost of frame up to the same price I paid for print, easy to forget the frame costs when you find a nice print!

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

As a framer, I find it quite a difficult sell to convince people to use NR Artglass. It can often double the price of a frame-up, and most people begrudge paying 80 quid to frame a print that they think was expensive at 40 quid!

One thing to bear in mind, NR isn’t going to protect artwork like museum glass, but museum glass is even more costly.

If you’re after preserving a valuable piece in a well-lit area, NR will help, but try and get the UV stats off your framer for the brand he’s using… But good luck with that though, most suppliers can’t seem to get that information as the products change so often!

I have an example in my showroom framed half with standard and half with NR glass, the difference is incredible… I generally advise people to use it for its non-reflective properties rather than its UV protection.

skink2020

Always check for scratches on the UV glass before you leave the shop. The stuff is a nightmare to work with. Scratches if you breathe near it.
    Nice bit of 2mm float and hang the picture in a cupboard. Sorted.

johndoh
    Free Member

I guess it would also depend on where the frame is being hung – adjacent to a window that gets lots of light would probably make it very worthwhile, but in an ambiently-lit hallway perhaps less so.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Out of curiosity, where are you based cyclingweakly?

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

I’m based in the North west, Longridge…

+1 what has been said about scratching, it has a surface treatment similar to spectacles… Framing shadow boxes or anything that might contain fluff or dust is a nightmare…

That’s one of the other reasons we hate using it!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is non-flective UV glass worth the premium for print-framing?’ is closed to new replies.