Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is MyFitnessPal still the best diet app for iOS?
  • bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Not used it since Under Armour bought it, and started selling previous functionality as premium features. Is it still the best out there for UK market, or anything else worth considering?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Never saw it before UA, but I do like it as it is now. Is it the best? Don’t know, nothing to compare it with

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

You use basic or premium, John?

mike_p
    Free Member

I use it… and lost 7kg during Jan.

Coincidence? Probably.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I’ll put you in the maybe pile, Mike.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Depends what you’re after I guess.

It’s the best recorder of calories I’ve used because it has the best database of barcodes and foods.

It’s less good at nurition because it doesn’t record all the data of all foods and obvs if you have to just put in calories it can’t help you much.

It’s not terribly good at calculating output – you can sync it with Apple fitness to record steps, okay if you’re only activity is walking or jogging. You can sync it with Strava, but Strava can’t calculate the difference between riding a carbon roadbike on a smooth road or riding through an axle deep bog on a DH Bike.

Fitbit, especially with HR data is much better at that, but of course means more expensive for the device.

If only the two apps would work together better than they do!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Just going to be using it for calorie control, as I really need to rein in my expanding waistline. I see the premium version offers a few extra things like macros etc, just wondering if there is any killer feature that makes it worth £39.99 a year.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Basic, I’m too tight to ‘buy’ apps 😉

Stainypants

I’be been using the basic program since New Year. It’s good. It’s just helps you balance what you eat versus what you burn. It also serves to remind you how few IPA’S you need to consume to blow a whole rides calories. I was putting weight on at the end of last year despite training for the marathon. Lost over a stone since I started using it. It stops you from over compensating when you exercise which was my problem. It also forces you to measure what you eat. I also think weighing you self regularly is important. Over last summer despite getting really bike fit my weight drifed up by 5kg in a couple of months as I lost discipline with the beer. my times were improving as my endurance but I was putting weight on I never really noticed until someone pointed it out.

I’m back where I was a year ago and I hope to lose another stone in the next two months ready for the Manchester Marathon.

mike_p
    Free Member

I use the free app, no way I’d pay for it though. It’s good as a general calorie counting and awareness guide as others have said, but its not something to hang your hat on.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Great for calorie counting , downloaded it on 3rd Jan after weight “drifted” a bit to 14st 11 gave myself 18 months to achieve anything under 13st for my 50th in mid 2017, so far lost 10lb without any exercise. Once you know the calories of certain treats they are gone with the “christ that wasn`t worth 400 calories( flapjack)” stopped my grazing which was my downfall, my target is 2040 a day and very rarely top it, we had a 5 day “separation while away with mates snowboarding” but we are fine again now.

Kryton57

Just going to be using it for calorie control, as I really need to rein in my expanding waistline. I see the premium version offers a few extra things like macros etc, just wondering if there is any killer feature that makes it worth £39.99 a year.

You don’t need to pay to do that, just use the free app.

Also lost weight in since Jan 1 – 7lbs.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I thought as much Kryton, but thought I would check in case there was anything whizzy that was worth paying for.

Shame they don’t offer ad-removal for a couple of quid. I’d pay that.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is MyFitnessPal still the best diet app for iOS?’ is closed to new replies.