Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • is my xm819 rim knackered?
  • D0NK

Have previously used UST tubless, been using tubes for a while now back to UST. Got the tyre seated and inflated but there is a leak. Turned out it's leaking from one of the FORE nipples. Somethings wrong but is it just a broken FORE thingy (and replaceable) or is the rim screwed?

Del

just stick some sealant in there.

LoCo
    Free Member

My 819 leaks from there, but it's had a hard life and is quite dented now replaced with spare wheel while being re-rimmed. have you tightened everything and got sealant in the tyre?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Air shouldn't get past the valve Shirley?

LoCo
    Free Member

think my one is cracked on the joint on the inside of the rim letting air into the cavity in the rim. And don't call me shirley 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Riding a cracked rim 😮 I'd be replacing it!

WackoAK
    Free Member

Chuck some sealant in, I find Caffe Latex really good.

LoCo
    Free Member

Nope, like I said using a spare wheel at the moment. Riding a cracked rim, with my reputation 😮

D0NK

Loco/al thats what I was wondering but why is it only leaking from one nipple? Shirley if air was getting into the rim interior (either cracked rim or dodgy valve) it'd leak from several/all the nips. The nipple it's leaking from is some way around the rim from the valve cant remember if it's near the join weld.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Its leaking past the valve stem into the rim cavity, then out of the (unsealed) nipples.

I just stick a dab of puncture repair glue on the rubber block at the base of the valve when I fit it.

D0NK

Jon did you see above post? Any ideas why only one FORE doobery is leaking?

dont fancy using glue or sealant yet cos not sure if i'm keeping the tyre rim combo, they are 2.5" on a 19mm rim, wanna check they dont squirm too much.

WackoAK
    Free Member

they are 2.5" on a 19mm rim, wanna check they dont squirm too much.

I run a Minion 2.5 UST on the front with no issues if that helps.

D0NK

cheers wacko, still a bit worried they might be on their way out as al/loco hinted at.

LoCo
    Free Member

My rear lasted 2 years of fairly heavy use around South Wales with 2.4 fat alberts on no probs. with 'squirm' and they're huge.

Would just check rim carefully with tyre off, check torque on everything and maybe fit a new valve assembly I replaced mine at about a year due to a bit of a leak. And run a bit of stans or similar in the tyre. Good luck. They are really good rims mine just had a bit of a hammering!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘is my xm819 rim knackered?’ is closed to new replies.