Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Is my Swingarm dead?
  • Kryton57

Found this yesterday on my ASR5 – looks like the “laquer” or top surface coat (pic is taken with bike upside down looking in from rear wheel to BB);

Untitled

Thoughts? Is it dead, do I keep riding hoping it won’t fail?

trail_rat
    Free Member

the damage on the left hand side ?

what hit that ?

wwaswas

if it’s out of warranty I’d get the lacquer off and see what’s happening underneath.

Kryton57

trail_rat – Member
    the damage on the left hand side ?

what hit that ?

No idea, its in front of the rear wheel, not underneath (which is protected by sugru) and if something hard enough to be carried around the wheel, down the seat tube to smash it down there you would have thought I would have noticed.

I’m worried this could cost me £600 for a new swingarm :-/ I’ve contacted Silverfish but am not hopeful.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

A carbon Yeti with a suspect fracture? Now there’s a surprise…
    I’d be taking that to a Yeti dealer to get it inspected by someone who’s used to dealing with them & know what they’re looking at.

wwaswas

don’t forget that there’s various carbon repair places about – might be worth sendign it to one of them for an opinion if Silverfish can’t help?

variflex
    Free Member

Take to Yeti dealer and ask them to investigate with Silverfish.
    Depending on age, ASR5’s up until 2013 I think had 5 year frame warranties.

sugdenr
    Free Member

On carbon that is a home repair if your opposing thumbs work.

It looks like impact damage, and no you wouldn’t notice that being done if it just lacquer damage, lacquer has no strength esp. no impact resistance.

The only question I would have only having seen photo is, as its drive side and there appears to be a vertical fracture line, is it suffering drive chainstay power stroke flex fatigue.

Kryton57

Sugdenr – this is what I think – I can see an intact carbon layer underneath and I’m sure these have carbon over an Alu insert for strength in that area. Are you able to point me at any details re the home repair? A sugru patch maybe? 🙂

It’s a 2011 frame properly registered so yes it’s should be in warranty. I have sent pics and details to Silverfish this morning.

I’ve off to Afan in a couple of weeks so a tad annoyed/nervous…

Kryton57

The lighter colour patch – that’s the loose lacquer ? I could safely peel that off and look under?

wwaswas

If it’s in warranty and being dealt with as such I’d leave it as is until a dealer/silverfish look at it. You don;t want to do anything that will jeopardise a claim.

trail_rat
    Free Member

all ill say is my mates failed exactly at that point on our first day in les arcs.

cost him a fortune in hiring a heavy piece of crap commencial – they did warrenty it though.

hora
    Free Member

Just under the chainstay/driveside? I’d treat that more than lacquer as it looks like its radiated/stressed out from the initial area too.

Send it off- if it failed the dental bill would be more.

Kryton57

Great. That leaves me with a 100mm ht for Afan. Better than no bike at all I guess.

trail_rat
    Free Member

100mm more travel than i have/need/want.

despite the need for a 5 for towpath around here you will survive and you will have fun.

Kryton57

Might slap the Bonty xr4’s on for comfort though.

Nobby

I don’t think the rear off my ASR SL will fit it or you’d be welcome to use that. Unfortunately it’s the alu front end I managed to crack.

turbo1397
    Free Member

I think you’ll have the 5yr warranty. As far as im lead to believe, anything after 2012 only had 2 years.. like myself :(. Noticed someone selling a swingarm on ebay the other day for £200. Could be a possibility if all else fails..

sugdenr
    Free Member

If its impact damage then its not a warranty issue.

If its chainstay flex than it is.

For home repair I use West System Epoxy, piece of carbon cloth from Guildford Marine, and the tried and tested insulating tape with copious pin pricks.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Hi Kryton57

I’ve just grabbed a quick word with our warranty guys regarding this – they say they’ve replied to you and directed you to your supplying dealer.
    Once you’ve done that everything should be dealt with by those guys pretty quickly and easily however if you have any concerns just drop me a line and I’ll be happy to look into it for you.

Cheers richie @ silverfish – uk . com (remove all the spaces)

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

is it a sticker?

Kryton57

@richie – thanks I got the email – I’m off to the L-yeti-BS on Saturday, and praying that it might be sorted within 2 weeks one way or the other.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Is my Swingarm dead?’ is closed to new replies.