Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is my mech bent?
  • thenorthwind

Thought I’d bent my mech cage and/or hanger. Straightened the hanger, but it looks like the surface that mates with the hanger and the surface that mates with the cage are not coplanar (to use the fancy word).

So the mech body itself must be bent right? They’re not meant to be like that, Shirley?

It seems improbable though, since the body is all solid bits of cast aluminium and there’s no obvious bending.

Parallelogram still operates smoothly. It’s a Deore mech in case it’s relevant.

EDIT: Obviously you’ve no idea if my mech is bent if I don’t post the pictures I took of it:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SQhQJD]2017-03-10 20.27.21[/url] by Dave W, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SQhR6F]2017-03-10 20.26.58[/url] by Dave W, on Flickr

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I’m not quite sure what the problem is. Are the jockey wheels not parallel with the cassette sprockets ? Is you gear indexing not good any more ?

thenorthwind

Yup, jockey wheels are way off parallel with the cassette and shifting is sluggish, sometimes non-existent (particularly up) despite good cable.

In the top pic, the cage is sat on a flat desk but the hanger stud is at an angle. In the bottom pic, the hanger stud is horizontal, but the cage is not vertical.

psycorp
    Free Member

Looks bent.

singlespeedstu

Looks like the Parallelogram could be bent.
    In your first pic the paint is missing from it to the right of the pivot point.
    I’d look closer at that.

thenorthwind

Looks like the Parallelogram could be bent.

I think you’re right. Been staring at it from every angle and not noticed, and you got it from a photo 😳

I was struggling to see a weak point but I think the pressed metal backplate of the parallelogram is it.

Ta.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s not uncommon for the mech to bend.

You can try to bend? the plate to compensate but its probably a goner.

singlespeedstu

Been staring at it from every angle and not noticed, and you got it from a photo

Often all it takes is someone else to have a quick look that has no preconceptions of the problem to pick up the fault.

thenorthwind

With judicious use of a fortunately-shaped vee-block, a 6″ vice and a pair of mole-grips (all tools of the precision engineer, I’m sure you’ll agree), I managed to bend it back near enough straight.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Sj4UdU]2017-03-12 13.00.09[/url] by Dave W, on Flickr

cynic-al
    Free Member

Chapeau.

Any time I’ve tried that it’s been buggered

garage-dweller

Any time I’ve tried that it’s been buggered

Yes but at least you didn’t find out you’d weakened it to the point of imminent failure halfway up some hill 20miles from home…but I’m sure that won’t happen to the op….probably.

Good skills straightening it without snapping though. I’ve snapped all but one that I have bent back (or tried to) over the years.

thenorthwind

Why thank you.

Since it’s the steel bit I’m bending rather than the ali, I’m reasonably confident that won’t happen. Still, I’ve always wanted to try singlepseeding 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is my mech bent?’ is closed to new replies.