Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Is my light crap now?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Had an Exposure Enduro Turbo for years now. Still works perfectly. Puts out 780 lumens or so. Is this crap by today’s standards? Seems plenty bright enough but seen some seemingly crazy claims for light output recently…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Still a good light ,still has use’s excellent customer support behind it 😉

“Only” 750 lumens is only an issue if you ride at the front of packs of riders with suns orbiting their bars

I regularly ride with just my mk3 joystick on my helmet when i cba moving the maxx d mounts over its perfectly adaquate for a solo ride where your not playing lumen wars

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it doesn’t get crap overnight, also lumen measurement is by the same ruler that makes every jump 20ft and every man 12″.

If it works for you it’s fine.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve been running 5000 theoretical lumens in races for the last 3(?) years. The biggest benefit is I don’t cast a shadow when someone is behind me. I can’t really imagine riding with less than 2000 though.

jam-bo

i tend to run my lumenator on 50% unless its a really fast DH or i’ve got someone behind me.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

Had an Exposure Enduro Turbo for years now. Still works perfectly. Puts out 780 lumens or so. Is this crap by today’s standards? Seems plenty bright enough but seen some seemingly crazy claims for light output recently…

Well it seems to bother you. Like most things..

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Unless your eyes have got worse i wouldn’t worry about it,

Lights get used generally in shite conditions, use it till it properly dies.

xc-steve
    Free Member

yeah it all depends if you ride with people who are packing more heat. If you are looking for an excuse to buy a new light I’d keep what you’ve got but supplement it with a helmet light. Best decision I made last winter.

pdw
    Free Member

Seems plenty bright enough but seen some seemingly crazy claims for light output recently…

The only thing that’s grown faster than the actual brightness of LED bike lights, is the amount by which the brightness of LED bike lights is exaggerated.

For example, a 4 x XML T6 light is sold on ebay as “5000 lumens”. According to the LED manufacturer the most that those LEDs could produce under ideal conditions at max current is 3,600. It’s unlikely that they’re even particularly close to that.

Exposure’s claim of 780 lumens is likely to be rather closer to the truth so you may be surprised by how little things have moved on. Not to say that you can’t get much brighter now, just don’t take the figures too seriously.

robbieh
    Free Member

Why is everyone stressing over how many Lumens? If you can see with it that’s all that matters is’nt it? I haven’t a clue how many my lights have, I can see in the woods and that’s all I care about.

eskay

It’ll be fine. Now these were crap lights:

ChrisI

^^^^^ I used to ride with 2 of them, that was proper night riding!!!! ^^^^^^

mattsccm
    Free Member

And what was wrong with them? We used to use them with the shagged batteries we had taken out of our Petzl Zooms which were far better.
    I still have mine, and half a dozen Zooms.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

780 real lumens is a decent amount of light… easily equivalent to 1500 ‘chinese lumens’. If it’s enough light for you to see by – and I would guess that it is – then why worry.

My torches are nominally 1800 + 1770 max lumens. But to get that I’d need to be driving them at well over 3amps (maybe 5 or more) and the heat would kill them. I’d be very surprised if either of them was appreciably brighter than your light.

clubber
    Free Member

I generally agree with the sentiments above but with a slight caveat.

If people in your group do ride with much brighter lights than yours then it can be a problem when they’re behind you as you end up with a big shadow in front of you…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Two cheap and easy solution. Be fast enough they aint near behind you or ride behind the offending lights.

Northwind

If it wasn’t crap before, it’s not crap now. But… Quite a lot of old lights that people spent a lot of money on were always crap, it’s just there wasn’t anything better. They’re still crap.

grtdkad

I ride in Troute’s virtual daylight and it’s brill

“Enhanced” Liberator on the bars at 2400lumens
    Regular Liberator on the helmet at 2000 lumens

Frickin fantastic now the nights are drawing in again.

neilc1881
    Free Member

USE, excellent service…. Hmm I’m not sure if a light that breaks every winter is worth the hassle! My current MaxX D has been back twice and needs to go back again but the warranty has expired and it’ll cost at least £60. Instead I have been running a Chinese 1400 lumen thing which cost £24, is on it’s second faultless winter and is a good deal brighter.

If in doubt run a Chinese thing or two…

bartimaeus
    Free Member

now the nights are drawing in again.

With that Troute set up I’m surprised you can tell.

somafunk

Check out my review of a c&bseen1200 lumen vs my USE Enduro 720 lumen i bought last year on a whim as it was cheap.

I’m still using it, it still works fine despite spending most of the summer fitted to the front of the quad bike whilst on the farm and abused in all weather conditions.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Is my light crap now?’ is closed to new replies.