Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Is my Hope hub broken?
  • zippykona

Changing tyres and my cassette fell off.Its never happened on any other Hope hub. I’m assuming it’s broken.

scotroutes

Oops – broken axle? At first I thought you’d just managed to pull the freehub off with the cassette.

munded

Bust axle, look up part number and contact hope direct or your local dealer. rest of hub’s prob fine – strip/rebuild will sort you, though may need to put new bearings in.

http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Pro-4-Rear-Hub-Assembly.pdf

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zippykona

Are they all the same size? It’s on a 2012 orange 5 maxle.

dhrider
    Free Member

If its 2012 i’d guess its a Pro 2 hub, it should say on the hub body what model it is.

http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/PROIIREARassy.pdf

then buy the correct axle for your hub spacing / axle diameter

Rorschach
    Free Member

You are not alone….that’s why there was a Pro2 Evo (thicker walled axle).

nixie

I think there may be an optional steel axle that is stronger.

coatesy
    Free Member

Also worth checking your maxle is the constant diameter type, not the waisted type that removes support from under the hub axle’s natural weak spot.

dhrider
    Free Member

To be fair he’s got 5 years of riding from it, i’d be happy enough with just replacing the sub axle and hoping to get another 5 years.

zippykona

Can I just bash to 2 bits out.?

dhrider
    Free Member
    zippykona

Is there a way of getting the disc side bearing off without using a special tool? In the video he puts it in the vice and whacks the axle. Could you reuse the bearing using this method?
    Whats the difference between a 12mm bolt through (HUB 222) and a 12X bolt (HUB 231 )through?
    I can get an axle tomorrow but they don’t have the tool set.

jamesbell1000
    Free Member

If you get a socket or something similar that will fit through the bearing but not through the axle you could hit that from the drive side and the nondrive bearing should come out with the axle.

jamesbell1000
    Free Member

As far as i can tell the both kits come with the same axle it’s just that the end adapters are different the 222 will come with 135mm spacers and the 231 142mm spacers either will do because you can use the ones you’ve already got.

dannyh
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member
    You are not alone….that’s why there was a Pro2 Evo (thicker walled axle).

POSTED 4 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Yes, with a less pronounced ‘step’ to act as an obvious ‘weak’ point. Both those terms are relative, though.

jamesbell1000
    Free Member

I think the correct kit for your bike will be the HUB222 but as I’ve said above you can use the end caps you’ve already got so either of the ones you’ve mentioned will do as it’s only the axle spindle thats broken and needs replacing. Hope this helps.

cycle86
    Free Member

I had a Wolf Ridge from the same era with hope Pro 2’s and Maxle and always feared that happening from the horror stories. Never did though but clearly it can. You should still be able to get the freehub off the broken side and get the remains out the hub shell with what’s left if you hit out from the non drive side with the end cap off. I’ve got an old axle and the pro 2 specific drifts for DS and NDS here which are no longer needed. Drop me a PM and I’ll sort you out for some beer tokens.

teethgrinder

Had that with a pro 2. How warrantied it for a steel axle… Miles stronger than the alloy standard one.

Or you can convert to evo with new bearings and free hub.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Is my Hope hub broken?’ is closed to new replies.