Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Is my Central Heating or Gas Fire Cheaper?
  • Duggan

Is my central heating, heating my whole flat, likely to be more expensive or cheaper than only heating my living room with my gas fire, I wonder?

I realise this is a dull question but I’d honestly like to know the answer and I honestly don’t have a clue.

I know there’ll be loads of variables but if it makes any difference I live in a fairly large, seventies-build flat with double glazing and two bedrooms. The fire I speak of is a fairly new one, with the pretty flames behind the glass kind of deal.

You’d assume that only heating one room would be cheaper than heating the whole flat but well, I just don’t know.

On a side note, if I turn all the radiators off in my flat except the one in the living room, will this be cheaper or the same? Or maybe negligible?

I’m not on the breadline or anything but I’ve never owned my own property before and sitting here in one room most of the night whilst the whole flat heats up is bringing the miser out in me.

Duggan

I’m slightly embarrassed I posted this now but I’ll plough on

peterich
    Free Member

no expert but
    I was always told that gas fires are very inefficient and decent ch system would be better it will save energy if you only run 1 rad as well as there is less heat output
    also get thermostatic rad valves etc and check insulation before anything else

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptJon
    Free Member

I’ve often wondered this as my boiler is rubbish. When i had the last gas certificate done the plumber reckoned old gas fires were much better than the new ones with ‘pretty flames’ as most of the heat didn’t simply go up the flue, but went into the room.

I guess if you only want one room heated then a fire would be better.

midlifecrashes

Ignore the theorising and measure it. Read gas meter, turn on fire for 1 hour, read gas meter again. Repeat with CH.

redben

Unless you have a truly horrendous boiler the fire will always be the most inefficient.
    Even the older boilers i see are still 65/70% efficient.
    Gas fires vary in efficiency alot due to the styles.

djglover
    Free Member

My boiler is >90% efficient, I have a gas stove that is >80%<90% efficient. I have therefore assumed, that to heat one room, the fire is cheaper..

Could be a bad assumption though

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Your fire will more than likely be 7kw max and probably wont be very efficient at that. Unless of course its a flueless gas fire. Your total heatloss of your flat maybe less that 7kw and so with the heating on you can probably heat the entire flat for the same price as running the gas fire.

Duggan

Thanks for the replies everyone, quite relieved to hear that this isn’t the no-brainer I thought it might be. Thought I was gonna get ripped for this.

takisawa2

Also depends how good your insulation is. Once it’s up to temp the CH should go off (if you’ve stat valves on the rads, & a room stat), the fire will just keep heating away regardless of temp unless you keep turning it off/on.

I use a timed thermostat, & found it’s no more expensive to keep the temp difference between the overnight/daytime times vs evening/weekend times to 2c. House stays more comfortable.

totalshell

i ve been amazed this winter by the amount of gas fire repairs/install we re being asked to do. its clear that many people are no longer using CH but have turned to thier gas fires instead.

some points.. if you have an old ugly gas fire with radiants then they are a space heater and will warm a room nicley and many older folk swear by them . most are 5 – 6 kw if you have ‘living flame’ style fire they are intended to be decorative first and foremost and range from 3 -6 kw

fires are horrendoussly ineffcient at turning gas into heat and can be as low as 45% effcient

taken in context your average gas hob is 7kw with the three largest burners alight.. and yes i have seen them used to heat rooms.

its also true that i have seen homes where the boilers have not being used at all for a couple of years to ‘save’ money

my professional and personal opinion is heating your home is vital funerals are expensive. if i had central heating id use it turn the rads low but not off in rooms i dont live in. in your living room and bathroom have them set wide open and have the boiler stat set at mid position and the room stat at 18-20 and you ll keep the house and you well..

spend money/time eliminating draughts

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Is my Central Heating or Gas Fire Cheaper?’ is closed to new replies.