Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Is my cassette worn? (with pic!)
  • Aus
    Free Member

Hi … very muddy ride this a.m. and chain skipping a little on sprockets 3 & 4 – may be because of the mud or bad cable set up (all others fine though) or is my cassette worn (chain is newish and has been fine with this cassette for a good few rides). What you think?

Cheers

njee20
    Free Member

Impossible to say, not least because it’s a crap photo!

thomthumb
    Free Member

your better off looking the ‘other way’ look along the cog, if there is material building up along the teeth (can normally feel it better than see if tbf) then it’s worn out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hard to say. If it’s only jumping in two cogs, check you don’t have a bent tooth Stand over the back, look down, and backpedal with your hand, it’ll be pretty obvious if one is bent/damaged.

Aus
    Free Member

njee … fair enough … any better 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Yes.

There is some burring on the sprockets, so yes, there is some wear. That said… if your chain was fine before it’s very unusual for it to suddenly start slipping.

Aus
    Free Member

thanks. Tended to skip only under strain and not ‘big’ slippage (if that makes any sense!)

reggiegasket
    Free Member

yes, 5 & 6 in particular.

barrykellett
    Free Member

That’s not even muddy.

IMAG0644 by barry_kellett99, on Flickr

LapSteel
    Free Member

I had a bit of slippage under strain on these cogs recently…..turned out to be a slightly bent chainring.

Ended up getting a new chainset that was going cheap at CRC…..not slipped since

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Yes.
    The bottom of the U of the shape between the teeth is round when it’s new. You can see some flat along the bottom on yours, like the U shape is too wide.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Is my cassette worn? (with pic!)’ is closed to new replies.