• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by brant.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Is my bottom bracket shell backwards?
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Just fitting BB to new frame and the Drive side wants to take the anticlockwise cup. This is surely knackers? Checked on Shimano and yep says DS clockwise (73mm BB) shirley the cups will loosen over time? If it was just the wrong cup then shirley it wouldn’t take the thread? Is it time for bike seller HULK SMASH? Or have i got my little head all confusededed?

aP
    Free Member

Is it an Italian road bike?

scotroutes

What frame? Not an Italian BB shell is it?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Genesis grapil one of the cheapo ones that cropped up on in the psa here

Dibbs
    Free Member

Are you working with your bike upside down on the floor? 😳 (I know someone who did that once).

Wibble89
    Free Member

Anti-clockwise on drive side and clockwise on non-drive side is correct. It isnt rotational friction that keeps the cups tight, its due to precession linky

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Ahhh was looking at 70mm bb instructions. Presumably thats the italian version. Normal service resumed.

nickjb
    Free Member

It should be opposite to the pedals if that helps

seadog101

Yep, it’s the Wankel effect. It would wind itself loose otherwise.

samunkim
    Free Member

Well you learn something new everyday..

Always wondered why it was counter to what the friction drag would dictate.

Thanks

nickjb
    Free Member

You can test the principal with a pen with a screw on lid. Loosen the lid slightly then hold the pen body and wobble the pen lid in circles with the tip of your finger. It should screw or unscrew the opposite way to the direction of the circles you make.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

you can do it with a wine glass too. Swirl the wine round anti-clockwise and the glass itself will try to rotate clockwise. Red wine is better 8)

cynic-al
    Free Member

This is where reading instructions gets you…

IA

The easy way I always remember it is with drivetrain bits it always* unscrews the direction it would turn if everything seized up.

*except for some exceptions 😉

samunkim
    Free Member

Okay Clever clogsies
    Why isn’t the derailleur jockey wheel counter threaded.
    Guarantee in any MTB event I will always see some poor sod crawling round looking for the shaft and bushes.

I even carry a spare these days in my puncture kit

IA

Guarantee in any MTB event I will always see some poor sod crawling round looking for the shaft and bushes.

Really?

I’ve never seen a jockey wheel come off in use, or seen anyone else with that problem, in a long time* riding bikes.

*not as long as some, but a good 25yrs+

andyb39
    Free Member

Jockey wheels don’t need to be reverse threaded as the applied load is always in the same direction, whereas with a bb or pedal the direction of load on the axle rotates.

brant
    Free Member

I’ve never seen a jockey wheel come off in use, or seen anyone else with that problem, in a long time* riding bikes.

*not as long as some, but a good 25yrs+

I was on a ride with Sean Kelly once, and it happened to him. I actually found the bolt in some stones, after lots of other people spent 10mins looking for it. I think people thought I’d hidden it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Is my bottom bracket shell backwards?’ is closed to new replies.