Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Is my BB buggered?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So had a long ride this morning and from the off there was annoying clicking noise when riding in the bigger front ring under some pressure. Started when I changed up from smaller inner front ring and my first thought was that I just need to feather the mechanism a bit. But this didn’t work.

Noise persisted for a couple of hours and again only in top ring and when peddling harder. Then disappeared in third hour (which was more descending)

Is this a sign that bottom bracket is buggered? it’s a press fit version on a spesh camber and I am aware that others have had BB problems.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Clicking noises not necessarily the BB.. Could be anything from seat post, spoke, cable, pedal, etc etc

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Pedalled fine – just an annoying noise on a long ride and I was a bit worried about doing damage

jimdubleyou

From experience of swapping out a perfectly fine BB and pedals – check your spokes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

could be anything and a pedal is alos a possibility if only under load

You should be able to rest both with a static bike

Spin pedal see if play etc
    DO same with BB

As noted creaks can come from anywhere and can be hard to trace

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Does it click when standing and sitting?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No only when peddling harder in big ring. I did a quick check of the shifting mech but couldn’t see anything. As others have said, clicks are bloody annoying as could be anything

I was wondering if it was a case of the BB fairies as I had been reading about others’ problems with BBs and perhaps it’s my turn if my closed steed is vulnerable to them!!

dhrider
    Free Member

Last time I heard this, it was the pedal axle which was causing it.

Worth taking the pedals off, regreasing the threads then fitting again.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

That was my first thought!

br
    Free Member

Hold both cranks and try and ‘wobble’ them.

somafunk

If it’s only clicking in the big ring then it may be chainring bolts?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

SRAM crank? Check the bolt is not loosening off.

oldnpastit

I had an annoying clicking noise on my BB92 (or whatever the number is) road bike.

It went away after replacing the bottom bracket.

Especially with PF30, I would think the most likely thing to fail and start making clicking noises is indeed the BB. It’s only with square taper where the BB will be the least likely thing to have failed.

legend
    Free Member

Also check the chainring bolts are tight

Murray

Could be anything. Mine turned out to be suspension bearings but as only happened when pedaling I’d replaced everything else first.

shortyj15

What hub?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Bottom Brackets either make grinding noises when the bearings are screwed (and you’ll have play in the cranks most likely), or they make squeaks, creaks and maybe clicks if you’ve unlucky enough to have shitty push fit BBs. Solution to that is threaded BB (may require purchase of a new and sensible frame/bike 😀 ).

But clicking as said could be anything. Something catching in jockey wheels or cassette is another. Stuff back there often sounds like it’s coming from the BB area.

shortyj15

My hope hubs made a clicking when it was knackered inside.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Crickets? It was warmer today…. 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thx for the replies.

Further examination tomorrow

deadkenny
    Free Member

Other thing I find is on a full sus, the pedal motion makes the pivots shift a little and they can creak or click.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Is my BB buggered?’ is closed to new replies.