Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Is my Alfine 8 goosed?
  • delux
    Free Member

Have not been on here for ages, but am hoping it is still the font of all knowledge it once was.

I’ve been running what must have been one of the first Alfine 8 speeds in the UK on my commuter for the last 3.5 years. Has done about 8000 miles in all conditions (in Sheffield, so has been cranked up big hills every day too). During that time it’s had one oil service at Langsett Cycles, but I’ve literally done nothing else. Not even had to adjust the cable tension.

However… over the last couple of weeks, it has started to skip out of gear when in 6th and 7th – feels like it is skipping to the lower range i.e. down to 2nd and 3rd. Cable tension indicator looks correct but I buggered about with it anyway to see if it made any difference – it didn’t, so I don’t think it’s that.

I haven’t got the correct tools to strip it down and check the internals so was wondering if anyone can make an educated guess whether it is terminally knackered or not??

Thanks!

delux
    Free Member

Bump

monkeyboyjc

give it a service, change the cable (inner and outer) and if its still skipping geras it may be goosed.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

the oil dip is worth trying as is a new cable

thepodge
    Free Member

I have no info but it’s good to know langsett can do a service as it’s just down the road from me

delux
    Free Member

For anyone who’s interested – the cable was knackered and replacing it sorted the problem.

Can highly recommend Langsett’s who fitted a new cable and did the oil service for the princely sum of 16 quid (including parts). Bargain.

wwaswas

given the price of the oil that’s a bargin.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Is my Alfine 8 goosed?’ is closed to new replies.