• This topic has 65 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Is my 26' Bike worth anything?
  • nedrapier

Amazing.

40 posts and no-one’s suggested a skillz courze rather than a new bike.

What the hell?

Blackflag
    Free Member

[IMO the best thing to do is hold off and list your kit in late Jan with an end date in Early Feb to deliberately target people’s Pay-day, counting on the fact that Feb is a “Short month” and they are hopefully feeling a bit flush after January, just to sway their judgement a bit…]

I think that, plus a fair bit of bull to the SO on true costs of bike, are going to be the way forward.

iainc

I recently, in a bored hour, costed out splitting and selling my 2013 Soul and replacing with a same specced 650b one. The gap was well over over £1200 🙁 thankfully I’m not doing it as I dont think I would be able to notice the difference 🙂

I’ll be keeping mine till I cant get same quality bits for it, at which stage I’ll but a full new bike, probably 650B if thats the ‘standard’ at that time. Hopefully thats into 2017…

ken_shields
    Free Member

cookeaa – Member
    Being a cynical profiteering git pay’s I reckon:

STW Classified and PB are all well and good but You’ll probably get top dollar on ebay where a small contingent seem to regularly make stupid buying decisions and have little idea of true values (but obviously fee’s will have an impact on what you actually get in the end)…

IMO the best thing to do is hold off and list your kit in late Jan with an end date in Early Feb to deliberately target people’s Pay-day, counting on the fact that Feb is a “Short month” and they are hopefully feeling a bit flush after January, just to sway their judgement a bit…

Lots of pretty pictures and including “bonuses” like the seat post/BB/Headset (that probably won’t fit your new frame anyway) help sweeten the perceived deal on a frame, Is it helitaped? bang on about that a bit, gullible buyers seem to read “Helitape” as “Shield of invulnerability” Oh and don’t blather on about the original list price, it is now irrelevant.

Always warms the cockles to see someone suggest stiffing over an unsuspecting punter just because they have marginally more knowledge than the buyer….gives me a proper warm fuzzy feeling 🙄

chestrockwell

are 29ers really that much better than 26’s?

Depends on the rider. You would notice the difference between the two so it will come down to which pro’s you prefer and which con’s you like the least.

For me 29ers really are that much better, for others they won’t be.

molgrips
    Free Member

now redundant wheel size

Redundant? Wtf? Are they policing trail centres now and impounding obselete bikes?

FFS 26 is still as good as it ever was. Stop worrying about it and shop with your eyes open.

tpbiker
    Free Member

So whats my 2011 anthem x3 26r worth then? Basically as standard (xt/slx) with upgrades wheelset

Id say bugger all by the sound of things…

jontykint
    Free Member

i am **** sick and tired of the wheelsize debate, turning up on almost every **** thread

its a **** disgrace,

this forum is a **** joke

nobody should care what you ride

just do what you can with what you’ve got, or what you can afford to buy next if you want a new bike

chestrockwell

It’s a forum Jonty. When no one cares about wheel size any more we’ll find something else to disagree about. That’s what tends to happen on forums.

aracer
    Free Member

I am **** sick of people reading threads they know they won’t like before they open them simply so that they can complain about the thread.

plyphon
    Free Member

Tbh I think the whole “Cheap 26″ parts” thing is an ideal that never actually materialised.

I am on the look out for maybe a FS 26″ frame, and maybe a new wheel set, but everything is just as (read: over) expensive as it always was with people clinging onto their hopes for a lot of value on their 5 year old bikes.

Now, that’s not to say “they’re not worth that” – perhaps they are? IF that’s what everything is selling at, that’s what it’s worth.

It just might not always be what I want to spend on a 2nd hand bike.

beefheart
    Free Member

I am **** sick of people saying they’re sick of people.
    **** disgrace!
    **** complaining sick of people ****!

jam-bo

Tbh I think the whole “Cheap 26″ parts” thing is an ideal that never actually materialised.

you think?

6 months ago I paid £300 for a mint orange ST4 frame (RRP £1200).
    I’ve just paid £400 for a pretty tidy transition bandit frame. (RRP £1500?)

you can have the ST4 for £250 if you like.

tenayshuzd
    Free Member

Frame value also depends on the size, just try getting a decent small size full suss 26er cheap secondhand – took me ages and I still ended up compromising!
    Never seen a Yeti frame go for cheap on eBay yet…

vincienup
    Free Member

Have we done Stonehenge, yet? 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I am **** sick of people reading threads they know they won’t like before they open them simply so that they can complain about the thread.

I often protest about threads by not opening them and not commenting. Do you notice?

bruceonabike
    Free Member

3 bikes all 26ers and not thinking of changing but if I bought new now it would probly be 29 cos I’m 6’4″

kelvin

Really? I have two new sets of wheels that should have been well out of my price range. Happy spiny…

Not seen huge deals on frames and forks… but then I’ve not been looking… bought Pikes at a sensible price though, no crazy reductions out there for the stuff that’s known to be good… no matter what the wheels size.

plyphon
    Free Member

you think?

6 months ago I paid £300 for a mint orange ST4 frame (RRP £1200).

That is a 5 year old frame tho, right? By STW standards that’s bang on what it should cost.

The Bandit for £400 sounds great though. I’d love to find a deal like that.

Really? I have two new sets of wheels that should have been well out of my price range. Happy spiny…

Yeah, maybe I’ve not been as exhaustive looking at I could of been. I’m sure there are people looking for a quick sale and putting out bargains. My real point was that *generally* everything is still priced as it was.

jam-bo

ST4 is 2012 model. So 2 yrs old when I bought it with 100 miles on it.

Bandit is also 2012.

chestrockwell

Agree as above, ST4’s din’t hold value like a 5 or Alpine 160 before the 650b arguement came along.

jonundercover
    Free Member

26 redundant? I dont plan to move on to 26 or 29 anytime
    in the near future! Its fun blowing away most of the 650b/29 crew on my old 26 stumpy evo lol.

shinsplints

Tsk tsk
    Not been on stw for ages & the place has gone to sh** !
    All these posts & no ones has mentioned any bike of any wheel size being “chuckable” or even used the phrase “makes the trail come alive” !!
    I’m going, you lot should be ashamed of yourselves I tell thee.

Marin
    Free Member

Oh no I still like riding a 26 steel hardtail and have no desire to change. I also don’t have a beard. I also don’t really care what anyone else rides but like to see nice bikes having fun.

jf2115
    Free Member

I have a 26er Hardrock. My first and only MTB which I have gradually upgraded as budget allowed: forks, brakes, single chainring, wheels (WTB singleduty hub on Mavic EN321), decent wide bars and short stem. I absolutely love it. When I started on it, I was being beaten up by the trail, which is exhausting. Time and practice has made the whole thing smoother.

I am 6′ 3″ but when I hopefully get a bike on my (very low) budget in the next few months, it will be 26. Almost certainly a Commencal Meta AM or SL. If I could simply swop all my stuff onto a new Commencal frame, I’d do that but the rear hub spacing on the frames needs 142×12 not 135×9. Also, it is hard to get 120-140mm forks in 9mm QR to fit the wheels my wife bought me as a gift.

It would frustrate me to have two bikes and no possibility of swopping wheels, tyres between them. Also, very rocky twisty trails around me and I like the 26. I have sat on 29ers and felt too high up and cumbersome. Probably would take a bit of getting used to.

Although everyone is saying you get nothing for 26er stuff, I have not seen much evidence of cheap 26er frames or wheels or forks. (in a size Xl, ahem).

I do have a beard.

hora
    Free Member

Wow OP and I was looking for a yeti frame on eBay. If your selling?

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Is my 26' Bike worth anything?’ is closed to new replies.