• This topic has 65 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Is my 26' Bike worth anything?
  • Blackflag
    Free Member

Finally got permission to buy a new bike in March but now faced with the very depressing thought of my current bike being sold for very little due to its now redundant wheel size. What could i reasonably expect for a 2006/7 (last year with the knuckle design) Yeti 575 with Fox 36 talas and everything else a mix of Hope, Thomson and XT?

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

£500 if you;re lucky? might be better splitting it and selling all bits on ebay

chrishc777
    Free Member

Keep the bits, sell wheels frame and forks and replace with new wheel size bits at great expense, or get an equally capable 26″ frame from last year for a fraction of the price and maybe upgrade forks or wheels, again getting top spec items for a fraction of the price of fashionable 650b items.

Last year I pretty much built my dream bike for the price of a deore spec 650b fashion item

Stoner
    Free Member

Its a pity that 26″ values fall so low, but even more so for someone like me at 6’4″ who has only ridden 29ers for the last 7 or 8yrs or so and has no inclination to go to 26″ no matter how cheap they are. The tightwad in me cant take advantage of all the cheap 26″ bling coming on the market 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Don’t think the wheel size is all that relevant it’s the 2006/7 bit that means it’s not worth much.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’d split it if I were you.

It’s worth more than £500 – I’ve just sold my Slackline frame and Hope Wheels for £350.

The only downside may be that people looking at 26inch stuff expect a mega bargain because it’s now ‘obselete’.

deviant
    Free Member

It’ll sell easily enough, I eBay’d a load of 26 stuff recently and was pleasantly surprised.
    The wider MTB public don’t care so much about wheel sizes and I’d wager there are far more 26 inch bikes out there than newer 650b or 29ers.

Tyre choice for 650b is still rubbish (and expensive) which is the main reason I’ve kept hold of a 26 HT for winter riding, mud tyres are ridiculously cheap in this size, clearance is ace, bike is great to chuck around and the wheels are bombproof….two years worth of use and never needed any attention
    Personally I feel there is still a place for 26 inch wheels.

Blackflag
    Free Member

£500?Awww cr@p.

Thats not really going to generate enough to support the purchase of a new bike so will think about splitting.

I also have a 26′ Cotic Soul (2001 model) with Revelation forks is that worth even less??

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Why sell it? Didint sell my 26 Zesty, now used for winter work. the resale value would be poor, I get more out of it this way.

Tyre choice for 650b is still rubbish

really LoL

chestrockwell

Why can’t some people on threads like this just accept that others simply like having a brand new bike with brand new bits and don’t want to recycle old parts, search for decent second hand parts, buy OEM or returned/seconds from Merlin and the like or stick to older standards just because they’re cheap? You pay a premium but if you’re happy to so what?

I’ve built up plenty of bikes from parts, some new, some second hand but to me there’s nothing like picking up a mint new bike from the shop.

As for the OP’s bike, IMO your biggest stumbling block is the frame’s age, not it’s wheel size. It’s stuck in the space between classic and modern so no one really wants it, unless it’s cheap. As mentioned above, your best bet is to split and sell as parts as the individual bits you mention are worth a fair bit in good condition.

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t think the wheel size is all that relevant it’s the 2006/7 bit that means it’s not worth much.

+1

Why can’t some people on threads like this just accept that others simply like having a brand new bike with brand new bits and don’t want to recycle old parts

Not seeing any of that, in this instance the OP is clearly budget conscious, and a very easy way to keep the cost of a new bike down is to reuse perfectly good parts which are otherwise being devalued by an old/undesirable frame.

chestrockwell

I also have a 26′ Cotic Soul (2001 model) with Revelation forks is that worth even less??

I’d have thought so.

chestrockwell

Not seeing any of that,

Keep the bits, sell wheels frame and forks and replace with new wheel size bits at great expense, or get an equally capable 26″ frame from last year for a fraction of the price and maybe upgrade forks or wheels, again getting top spec items for a fraction of the price of fashionable 650b items.

njee20
    Free Member

But that’s not necessarily at odds with what the OP asked.

He’s not stated “I categorically have to have brand new, so don’t even suggest keeping old parts or buying second hand”. Don’t understand your point. 😕

He’s been “given permission” to buy a new bike 10 months ago, so I’m guessing he’s not got £10k sat there to buy a new Bronson with XX1 and Enves…

Blackflag
    Free Member

The agreement with my SO is a one in one out and we are a bit financially constrained at the moment . So it looks like im gonna have to sell both my mountain bikes for a total return of less than half what i need for new bike (budget of £2.5k max)

Goddamnit.

DezB
    Free Member

What are you going to get that is an improvement over a 2006 575?

Nothing! That’s what! 🙂

fingerbang
    Free Member

just had a look on pinkbike small ads for 27.5 complete bikes

blazing bikes are doing a brand new Intense Tracer 2014 for £2039.

niiiice

(this isn’t spam – just bored at work and wanted to see what complete builds I’d get if I was in the market )

🙂

Blackflag
    Free Member

ha ha. very true. that bikes been brilliant for years. but ive tried a 29er and im hooked.

DezB
    Free Member

No you’re not, you just want something new… Saver yer moneys. 🙂

chestrockwell

Don’t understand your point.

My point is as I said, If someone wants a new bike they want a new bike. I’m sure they will have considered their options so replies like ‘You can build up a not new bike for loads less’ or ‘Only an idiot would buy 650b/29″ when 26″ is so cheap’ or ‘The price of X is stupid, I could build ‘nearly’ the same bike for less’ or ‘Why get a new bike, it won’t be better then your old bike’ are not helpful replies.

Going on what the OP has said it seems to me he wants a new bike.

Sorry OP, I’ll get back in my box now. Good choice going 29″. I did it a year or so ago and wouldn’t go back now. Defo split both your bikes down, you’ll get far more. Think my mates Specialized Camber Evo was less then £2000 and that’s a great bike so good luck searching. 8)

br
    Free Member

Finally got permission to buy a new bike in March

Still live your Mum? 😉

luketracey

What size frame is it?

njee20
    Free Member

Going on what the OP has said it seems to me he wants a new bike

Fair enough, I can’t see that he’s stated it anywhere. Advice was fair I thought.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Based on the 26″ new carbon wheels* I’ve been trying to sell for a month then the answer would be ‘it won’t sell’.

*Brand new unboxed easton wheels if anyone is interested, rrp £1500, selling for £450 plus postage.

Yak

Split it all. You’ll have no trouble selling all that for more than £500 total. Frame – up to £250-£270 ish if in good nick I reckon.

robdob
    Free Member

I am staying with 26″ and I haven’t seen many bargains around, looking at wheels and forks in particular. Things aren’t selling as people want too much for their stuff!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rob, I reckom a lot of people are hanging onto 26in stuff as well. Lots of people are still feeling the pinch financially, and just because there’s something new, it doesn’t mean your current bike is anything different to what it’s always been, does it?
    I saw all this nonsense coming and bought a few choice bits that’ll keep me in nice 26in bikes for the foreseeable future. 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

thestabiliser – Member

I agree with this. To maximise value you’d be best to split it, sell the bits you don’t need, and keep the rest for your new build.

andytherocketeer

26′ wheels? *another* standard?
    should roll over anything 😉

cookeaa

Realistically if you split it and do the leg work to flog the bike of in parts you might get a bit more (lets say £750 for the sake of argument?), but are you dead set on just buying a whole new bike off the peg, or would you be open to simply flogging off the anything 26″ specific (Frame/Wheels/Fork) and keeping various bits to fit to a new frame in your chosen wheel size?

A nice shiny new 29er frame Fork and wheel-set could be had for less, depending on what you go for, and then brakes and drive should be 95% transferable (assuming they’re all fully functional) and at least gets you rolling, they can always be replaced at a later date when the SO’s Scrutinizing you so much.

If an all new bike with no self assembly faff or re-using of your old parts is the goal then I think you might simply have to lower your sights, or apply for additional Funding…

cookci
    Free Member

are 29ers really that much better than 26’s?

Leku
    Free Member
    ken_shields
    Free Member

OMFG I’ll just take all my 26″ stuff to the tip.

I was gonna sell my Carbon 456 frame but I’ll just put it out with the bins 🙄

cookeaa

are 29ers really that much better than 26’s?

Yep by a whole 3 ‘ers’… You can’t argue with science.

aracer
    Free Member

Completely worthless. I can collect it for disposal, and save you a job if you like.

DezB
    Free Member

I think you might simply have to lower your sights

Balls! Raise them (ie. keep the 575)

ninfan
    Free Member

Just counted

In the family we are talking Five frames, eight pairs of wheels, four sets of sus forks, heaven knows how many tyres and spare tyres including snow spikes etc, plus a box of about 30 spare tubes.

I reckon it will be a fair while before this household is ready to move over to a new standard!

cookeaa

Being a cynical profiteering git pay’s I reckon:

STW Classified and PB are all well and good but You’ll probably get top dollar on ebay where a small contingent seem to regularly make stupid buying decisions and have little idea of true values (but obviously fee’s will have an impact on what you actually get in the end)…

IMO the best thing to do is hold off and list your kit in late Jan with an end date in Early Feb to deliberately target people’s Pay-day, counting on the fact that Feb is a “Short month” and they are hopefully feeling a bit flush after January, just to sway their judgement a bit…

Lots of pretty pictures and including “bonuses” like the seat post/BB/Headset (that probably won’t fit your new frame anyway) help sweeten the perceived deal on a frame, Is it helitaped? bang on about that a bit, gullible buyers seem to read “Helitape” as “Shield of invulnerability” Oh and don’t blather on about the original list price, it is now irrelevant.

beefheart
    Free Member

A 26′ bike will be worth £1000s in scrap value alone!

kudos100
    Free Member

Someone has set up a site for this:

http://www.recycle26inch.com

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Is my 26' Bike worth anything?’ is closed to new replies.