Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)
  • Is modern Democracy fundametaly flawed?
  • kaesae
    Free Member

Is it even a democracy?

If only a small percentage of individuals turn out for an election because the majority of people do not believe in the system, or if votes are shared between different parties, then how can there be a majority vote?

We vote for parties that have their own agenda’s, so once in power their allegiance shifts from us to the success of the party. To further complicate things they have to go along with popular opinion to get votes or even turn to opposing opinion to have an alternative stance!

Also how could it ever be possible for a poor person to run for election and if a poor person cannot run for election does that not mean we will always have to elect rich candidates or those supported by and with allegiances to the rich?

Also I refuse to vote I will not give credibility to a system that then assumes my right to be involved with the running of my life, especially when these days politicians are completely corrupt or about as useful as break dancing on your own nuts.

So Friends, weirdos, country peeps, I ask you this.

Under logical analysis and intensive scrutiny, does modern democracy actually have any right to be called democracy.

And since I do not vote does it not mean that I in fact live in a dictatorship?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Yes democracy is flawed. The people get the government they deserve though.

kaesae
    Free Member

Hang on! I don’t get the government I deserve, but yes the majority of people get a government that is very much like them, FUBAR!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s nice to see that you have moved on from your previous obsessive worrying about biblical sized floods kaesae.

And Stellar Realignment

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And since I do not vote I’ll shut up and stop whining. Maybe if I really cared about it, I’d actually vote.

FTFY.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Elective dictatorship.

I’m becoming so cynical and bitter in my old age. I could crush a grape

Totally agree with OP

CountZero

Also I refuse to vote I will not give credibility to a system that then assumes my right to be involved with the running of my life, especially when these days politicians are completely corrupt or about as useful as break dancing on your own nuts.

In which case you have no right to pass comment on whatever government comes into power, as you have clearly absolved yourself from the democratic process.
    What’s that saying? Oh, yes;

First they came for the communists,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Jew.

Then they came for me,
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.
    Martin Niemöller (1892–1984)

yunki
    Free Member

Maybe if I really cared about it, I’d actually vote.
    FTFY.

LOL.. and then I woke up and there was brasso everywhere

agree with OP

IanMunro
    Free Member

Under logical analysis and intensive scrutiny, does modern democracy actually have any right to be called democracy.

Yes.
    But assuming that all the faults that you list were fixed, and it became the perfect pure literal democracy, it would still be basically tyranny of the masses by another name.

kaesae
    Free Member

Politics and voting is too me like a stranger asking me for my car keys, I don’t **** ing know them I’ve never **** ing met them and I ain’t giving them shit!

Sorry but almost no politicians for the past 500 years have had a clue about developing a country or enlightening a society, name one government that when removed from power hadn’t been a bunch of complete and utter **** UP’S

molgrips
    Free Member

If only a small percentage of individuals turn out for an election because the majority of people do not believe in the system

Well, it is flawed, but not for that reason. You don’t vote, but you CAN vote. You can also stand for election, or organise a party. So no excuses there.

However the real problem with democracy is education. People have to have the facilities to make an informed decision, and politics and government is so complicated that it’s just too difficult and/or too much effort for everyone to get properly involved. Even opposition politicians don’t really have all the facts and answers.

So they say stuff that sounds good during elections, and then they see what they can actually do when they get in.

The biggest factor in the result of a democratic election is the state of the economy, which is pretty much a global thing and has little to do with the government.

Govts make decisions that take decades to gradually and subtly affect the way the world works, and only in conjunction with what other govts around the world do. So it’s almost impossible to base a decision on manifestos.

Therefore the only way to vote is to do so on either competency or ideological grounds, or both.

Sorry but almost no politicians for the past 500 years have had a clue about developing a country or enlightening a society

That’s not the point of a government. That stuff is up to US.

I miss TJ I think.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sorry but almost no politicians for the past 500 years have had a clue about developing a country or enlightening a society

Good point – I blame the Roundheads.

Spin
    Free Member

name one government that when removed from power hadn’t been a bunch of complete and utter **** UP’S

They’re only human.

spchantler
    Free Member

where is this democracy thing you talk of? you don’t mean the good old uk do you? haven’t you read orwell?

kaesae
    Free Member

Maybe if you really cared enough to support your local politician, you would vote, right so I go I line up in a que the old fashioned way for fun or I vote online.

What if nothing happens do I get my vote back? what if they don’t have a clue about money, because if they did they would get into business.

The problem I have is that after I vote I agree that I no longer have a say in the running of my life, I am no longer involved in making decisions that affect me! is that democracy.

Where we have the right to vote, but we are told who we can and cannot vote for and where every decision is made without our consent or input.

I can tell you now and categorically that those who are in charge do not have my confidence, my support or my best interests at heart.

I abstain from the voting system and I reiterate, that this is not a democracy but a dictatorship in disguise.

Spin
    Free Member

majority of people do not believe in the system

The problem is not belief in the system the problem is apathy towards the process of democracy.

I think there are a few reasons why people are apathetic towards politics:

1. Lots of folks in this country are relatively happy with their lot and so not motivated to try and change things.

2. The parties have all moved towards the centre because that’s where the greatest number of voters lie. This means they all look a bit alike bolstering the notion that ‘it doesn’t matter who you vote for, the government always gets in’

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not a dictatorship, obviously, and I think you do a disservice to the memory of all those people who’ve ever struggled with actual dictatorships.

A dictatorship is where one person does whatever he or she likes, with no comeback.

Currently, if politicians mess up, they get voted out.

That’s the difference.

And they can’t all ask you personally what you would like them to do. Sadly not practical.

Spin
    Free Member

The problem I have is that after I vote I agree that I no longer have a say in the running of my life, I am no longer involved in making decisions that affect me! is that democracy.

Yes. That’s democracy. You elect representatives to take the decisions for you.

El-bent
    Free Member

We vote for parties that have their own agenda’s, so once in power their allegiance shifts from us to the success of the party.

Democracy has been hijacked. Our apathy caused it. Hijacked by those who finance political parties. Before anyone says “unions”, they were brash about the power they held and suffered the consequences, the current crop of financial backers of all the main parties up until recently have remained quiet. Even when these people or organisations are are exposed, like tax exile Philip Green, we get angry and do nothing else.

We won’t have a better democracy (not perfect) until others agendas are removed in place of the majority. Unfortunately this has also been hijacked, by the current crop of backers. They have brainwashed people into believing their “concerns” are ours. And so we throw away our terms and conditions year on year, in the hope that financial nirvana will return to us. Trouble is, that nirvana is reserved only for the most wealthy among us.

Always look on the bright side of life and all that.

molgrips
    Free Member

They have brainwashed people into believing their “concerns” are ours.

Er, they have a point, to a degree. The money they get, they spend on goods and services. It doens’t vanish.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes. That’s democracy. You elect representatives to take the decisions for you.

That’s only one aspect of it. Making decisions is another aspect. Although not so much in the limited form of the democracy which exists at the present.

Spin
    Free Member

a dictatorship in disguise.

So who is the individual running Britain then if we are a dictatorship?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So who is the individual running Britain then if we are a dictatorship?

A dictatorship doesn’t have to be an individual.

The obvious example is a junta.

samuri
    Free Member

And he’s a scouser which should keep kaesae happy.

muddy@rseguy

The nice thing about a democracy is that if you don’t like it you have a choice:

Ignore it and don’t vote.

Vote for someone/something that you feel to be the least worst option.

Or…

Stand for election yourself.

Please note that if you choose the first option you have won the right to be ignored.

druidh
    Free Member

This. When I first became aware of politics, there was a sense of “us and them”, the Left vs the Right. That has largely disappeared.

Without getting into the pros and cons of Scottish Independence, at least in Scotland there is still one fundamental division which is causing folk to get a bit more involved in politics and the politicians they elect.

nealglover
    Free Member

If only a small percentage of individuals turn out for an election because the majority of people do not believe in the system[/B], or if votes are shared between different parties, then how can there be a majority vote?

Stopped reading after this innacurate piece of twoddle.

Average turnout for general elections in the UK since 1945 is over well 70%

druidh
    Free Member

+1

Spin
    Free Member

I know that. Is there a junta running the UK?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I know that.

I was misled by you asking ‘who is the individual running Britain then if we are a dictatorship’.

molgrips
    Free Member

This. When I first became aware of politics, there was a sense of “us and them”, the Left vs the Right. That has largely disappeared.

And why? Because both parties wanted to get as many votes as possible. The middle ground has the most voters.

Democracy in action. We’re likely to find the average of all political positions, which you might argue is a good thing, since you’re not always fighting extremes. We found the country’s natural alignmnet, which is still different to many other countries so it is not a non-position.

Now – that national average middle position can still be influenced by plenty of things.. over a long period I think…

druidh
    Free Member

I agree – “we get the government we vote for”.

Which largely defeats kaseaes argument

Lifer
    Free Member

Spin – Member
    I know that. Is there a junta running the UK?

Yes but you spelt it wrong

Spin
    Free Member

I was misled by you asking who is the individual running Britain then if we are a dictatorship

I was being lazy by assuming that I didn’t really have to define dictatorship in asking if ‘Britain is a dictatorship who is / are the dictator(s)’.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Because both parties wanted to get as many votes as possible. The middle ground has the most voters.

Because both parties wanted the votes of the “floating voters”.

The floating voters are a small minority who get to decide which way an election swings, and generally have little understanding of politics compared to committed voters.

Spin
    Free Member

Yes but you spelt it wrong

I’m more of a sourdough man myself.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I was being lazy by assuming that I didn’t really have to define dictatorship in asking if ‘Britain is a dictatorship who is / are the dictator(s)

Well a dictatorship can be any like minded group which shares a common interest. Including an entire class.

druidh
    Free Member

FTFY

Spin
    Free Member

Well a dictatorship can be any like minded group which shares a common interest.

Like, say, your local parish council?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Is modern Democracy fundametaly flawed?’ is closed to new replies.