Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is Milan worth a look if you're passing?
  • sharkattack

Next month we (myself and girlfriend) will be driving from Lake Garda to Morzine. This takes us skirting around the edge of Milan and I’m wondering if it will be worth a detour. I know nothing about the place as it’s never been on my ‘to do’ list. Now I love a good poke around in a foreign city if it’s nice but a couple of days and I’m done.

My concerns are;

The van. I’d prefer some kind of out of town park and ride deal to save me from Italian, inner city, chaos. But I’m also a little paranoid about leaving the van anywhere other than a campsite or secure car park considering it will contain all my worldly belongings.

The budget. I’m aiming to survive over there long enough to see the Andorra world cup and I don’t want to plough through the budget with over priced hotels, food, drink etc.

So can anyone convince me either way? If it’s absolutely unmissable I’ll make the effort and spend the money but if not, we’ll stick to the mountains.

nickjb
    Free Member

We often fly to Bergamo which easyjet think is in Milan. The citi alto at the top of the hill is a very nice walled city. Lovely for a wander and a meal. Not too tricky with traffic and parking when we’ve been

mrmoofo

Milan is worth a visit but it isn’t uber exciting …
    The Duomo, the Galleria and La Scala can all be done quite quickly …
    ps – I was there last week …

There is a really nice ice cream shop called “Chocolate”

joeyj
    Free Member

Milan is great just keep a hold of any valuables. There are cheap places to stay if you are brave enough don’t book just turn up and you do get rooms cheaper. Turin is also worth a visit and is quite a bit cheaper than Milan you can also relive the Italian job.

jekkyl

Good trains in Italy, park & stay somewhere cheap & get the train in. The line runs from Verona to Milan straight through garda, tis about 40 mins from desanzano to Milan if memory serves.

tommytowtruck

Bergamo is lovely, go there!

RoterStern
    Free Member

Why not visit Verona while you are at the Garda Lake if you want to visit an Italian city. It’s not as pricey as Milan and the old city is very nice indeed.

jekkyl

/\ Do that, Verona is lovely, go to the opera if you can. Don’t do the tomb of Juliet, tourist trap, absolutely rubbish. Don’t forget Venice isn’t far away too.

sharkattack

We will be visiting Verona and Venice during our stay at Garda. You can apparently do day trips from the Bardolino area where we’re planning to camp. Don’t have anything booked for this bit of the trip yet. If anyone can recommend a good campsite on the south east edge of Lake Garda that would be great. I’d rather just park up for a week or so and use public transport.

RoterStern
    Free Member

We usually stay here which is in Cisano, just the other side of Bardolino but has really good facilities especially good if you have kids. If you are not that bothered about the extras (like swimming pool and nice washrooms etc) there is a motorhome park direct on the lake side at the edge of Bardolino. Or the other side of of the town on the way to Garda is Camping Serenela or Camping La Rocca. Both look good but we have never stayed there. I’m not sure of the price out of high season but in season they are not exactly cheap but then nothing around the Garda Lake is. If you do chose Cisano there is a Lidl about five minutes away from the campsite if you want to do your shopping.

ivantate
    Free Member

Nothing special in milan tbh

sharkattack

Priceless info, thanks everyone. This time next week we’ll be on the ferry!

MoreCashThanDash

I was really disappointed by Milan. La Scala, Duomo are ok but somehow I was expecting more. The railway station is a stunning example of fascist concrete architecture, but full of pickpocketing kids when we were there (admitedly a few years ago now)

I did really like Turin though, fwiw

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is Milan worth a look if you're passing?’ is closed to new replies.