Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 2,885 total)
  • Is May about to call an election?
  • jekkyl

very clever.
    Labour are all over the place at the moment and in no place to wage a GE campaign, let alone one in 2 months! but at least it means we will get to hear Corbyn’s policies unfettered by media bias and freely heard through the media. Time to get your finger out Jezzer!

cranberry
    Free Member

God help us!

He already has:

polling shows Labour presently 21% behind the Tory’s

Vicar’s daughter for the win.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

imnotverygood – Member
    I just wish there was somebody I actually wanted to vote for.

Well next one to say they wont vote Lib Dem because of tuition fee’s needs gets a slap. If people want to hold a tiny grudge at this point they are mad

molgrips
    Free Member

Cheeky, as Labour don’t have time to replace their leader. Remember though that Corbyn did come over quite well in the leadership debates. Perhaps if he has a chance to bring out reasonable popular policies he’ll improve Labour’s position.

Re LD, I think tuition fees have been pretty much forgotten about now haven’t they?

It’ll be interesting to see to what extent Brexit or hard Brexit has become a Tory thing, and if some cooling off on hard Brexit will harm the Tories.

binners

Time to get your finger out Jezzer!

Someone best nip up to the allotments and let him know

Shackleton

The benny hill music that plays in my head whenever I think about this countries politics and brexit just got louder…………

Well next one to say they wont vote Lib Dem because of tuition fee’s needs gets a slap.

What they need is perspective, maturity and an understanding of how coalitions work. But a slap would certainly help get things moving.

ulysse
    Free Member

Ok

Klunk
    Free Member

Well next one to say they wont vote Lib Dem because of tuition fee’s needs gets a slap. If people want to hold a tiny grudge at this point they are mad

I’d go with the vote Lib Dem get Tory Slogan myself. You could say that them propping up a minority tory regime has led to this debacle/shambles.

kimbers

This does neatly sidestep the byelections and all those nasty headlines about fraud in those Tory seats

Corbyn looks weaker than ever

May has lurched far enough to the right to keep her frothing back benchers happy and UKIP have completely imploded

she may have lied repeatedly by saying she wouldnt call an early election, but these days broken promises dont even raise an eyebrow

molgrips
    Free Member

Farron for PM in shock result.

OR

Corbyn to appear on telly with a black eye to resign from party, Keir Starmer to take over and romp home.

stumpyjon

Well looks like the Lib Dems are the only credible incredible option left…..

Obvious move on May’s part really, she can’t lose, if she gets kicked out she dodges Brexit, if she wins with a bigger majority (highly likely) she won’t be having to fight an election in 2020 just as the Brexshit bomb is going off.

pondo

Wow, Brexit’s last chance saloon has extended hours. Lib Dem or Greens…?

franksinatra

Always risk of over thinking this.

People still vote for leaders.

Corbyn is wholly un-electable. They cannot grow their vote under him, Tories will therefore win

dissonance

and if some cooling off on hard Brexit will harm the Tories.

If she does that she risks the wrath of the right wing press.
    Considering how fast she has backed down everytime they raise their voices I reckon no chance of that happening.

P-Jay
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member

Right Corbyn, time to end the worlds longest rope a dope ploy and stop being a useless shite

Not a chance, even if he didn’t have the vast majority of the press against him he’s utterly, utterly useless.

I don’t believe for a second he’s reacted to this news with joy at the chance to win, it’s the sinking realisation that his time as (in)effectual opposition is over. He NEVER plans to be PM – maybe, just maybe when he loses – Labour will lose a taste for ‘momentum’.

My prediction –
    May is calling this now, not because she wants a clear mandate for A50 – she’s got that, her power in Westminster is total.
    She knows the fallout in 2019 is going to be bad, and doesn’t want to fight a GE in 2020 – better to fight an election now, one she cannot lose, and not have to do so again until 2021.
    She cannot lose because UKIP (who they actually fear) are in a shambles and their purpose has ended. Labour is in a shambles and offer nothing – most polls show that “the 48%” are now more than 50% – but as the EU is a capitalist version of globalisation they never supported it – not this version of Labour anyway so it won’t referendum 2. She’ll be battered in Scotland, but they did last time anyway. The Lib Dems will claw some back, but can anyone name their leader without Google? The SNP will win every seat they stand in.

Wales (home) is an odd one – the bits that voted remain are typically Tory seats, the bits that voted leave Plaid Cymru who are against Brexit. Some bits – if Labour put forward a potato, they’d still win.

kraken2345
    Free Member

@mikewsmith As an engineering student 2 years into a 4 years course that’s going to leave me in £36k of debt in those fees alone, how a party handles issues involving students matters considerably to me. That being said I wouldn’t vote Lib Dem and not just because of this, else that would be an ill-considered approach.

jimster01

At least it will give them some new material for Have I Got News For You? this week, not that they have enough already!!

molgrips
    Free Member

As an engineering student 2 years into a 4 years course that’s going to leave me in £36k of debt in those fees alone

Remind us who introduced tuition fees for students?

franksinatra

The Lib Dems will claw some back, but can anyone name their leader without Google?

I agree, and people vote on the leader

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some upset on SNP held seats. Not much change but some.

kimbers

The Lib Dems will claw some back, but can anyone name their leader without Google?

yes,
    unfortunately farron is a slightly odd fellah and born again christian

better option than Maybot tho!

tomhoward

I thought we were just going to give trump the premiership, along with his golden shower carriage?

dragon
    Free Member

As an engineering student 2 years into a 4 years course that’s going to leave me in £36k of debt in those fees alone

Remind us who introduced tuition fees for students?

Labour introduced them.

But equally people seem to forget the the Lib Dems were a minority in the coalition and had to horse trade a lot away to get anything they wanted through. Should they have made students fees a red line, well in hindsight yes, but it wasn’t so obvious at the time.

kimbers

oh just imagine if Corbyn was PM (I know) hed have to welcome Trump

thatd be hilarious!

molgrips
    Free Member

I would piss my pants laughing if Corbyn was PM 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

But equally people seem to forget the the Lib Dems were a minority in the coalition and had to horse trade a lot away to get anything they wanted through.

Yep. Just goes to show voters don’t really underdstand the reality of politics.

dissonance

But equally people seem to forget the the Lib Dems were a minority in the coalition and had to horse trade a lot away to get anything they wanted through.

I think it is more how enthusiastically they switched to supporting it as opposed to even just going for a free vote on it.
    That and their utter incompetence with regards to electoral reform.

nedrapier

how a party handles issues involving students matters considerably to me.

Sadly, this is going to be such a one party, one issue election, that the Tories can remain silent on a whole bunch of issues and do whatever the hell they like after the election, without having to worry about broken promises.

Not that they’ve ever lost much sleep over them in the past.

sands
    Free Member

Ironic Premier Inn email header from 11:29 today

stumpyjon

I would piss my pants laughing if Corbyn was PM

martinhutch

makes you wonder what the economic projections are looking like for 2019

Exactly my thoughts!

Must have seen the fast approaching economic shitshow and decided to shore up her majority while the delusions are still firmly in place.

5lab

so to make this happen, they’re going to have to get every single non-labour MP to vote in favour, plus an additional 15 labour MPs.

Whilst there’s some disgruntled lefties about, those voting would have to effectively be ok with the fact they may be forced out of the party – no? as well as significant risk to their jobs.

cranberry
    Free Member

http://commentcentral.co.uk/labour-mps-abandon-ship/

The job centre is calling Labour MPs rather sooner than they expected.

Stoner
    Free Member

Imagine the accusations that could be levelled against a Labour MP voting against a call for election?

1) you don’t trust the electorate
    2) you don’t back your leader
    3) you don’t back yourself to retain your seat

Almost impossible to defend without some gymnastics.

dragon
    Free Member

Must have seen the fast approaching economic shitshow and decided to shore up her majority while the delusions are still firmly in place.

Could be true, but equally May could easily just have thought their majority is pretty slim right now and so getting a lot of pressure from within. So go win a decent majority and you have much more freedom to do what you want, without having to pander to disruptive factions within your own party.

This is like proper 60’s and 70’s politics, fun times. Going to come as a shock to the young folk.

plyphon
    Free Member

ELI5: Why is she calling for a snap election?

Klunk
    Free Member

so to make this happen, they’re going to have to get every single non-labour MP to vote in favour, plus an additional 15 labour MPs.

Whilst there’s some disgruntled lefties about, those voting would have to effectively be ok with the fact they may be forced out of the party – no? as well as significant risk to their jobs.

She also has the option of a self imposed vote of no confidence then being voted down by her own party 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Has Corbyn suffered a major TBI to his frontal lobe? He’s saying that Labour will vote in favour of a general election! He’s voy
    Ting for his own parties demise – the **** idiot!

Klunk
    Free Member

without having to pander to disruptive factions within your own party.

true if you can control who the local party selects as a candidate…..

binners

Apparently a lot of Labour MP’s are due to ‘do a Zac’ say “**** it!” and call it a day. Leaving Jezza with the problem of trying to find some new candidates to lead off an electoral cliff!

Shackleton

The big question is does this leave sufficient time for Russia to hack the system and influence the result?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 2,885 total)

The topic ‘Is May about to call an election?’ is closed to new replies.