Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 2,885 total)
  • Is May about to call an election?
  • grum
    Free Member

So yes, it’s opinion but in my opinion the genration following the Norman conquest were ‘worse off’.

This has to be trolling surely? 🙄

jambalaya
    Free Member

Kimbers fron the first page

Really?, their own polling has shown them that they are likely to loose too many seats to the lib dems and their majority is too small to risk it

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Me or him?

How about “This generation is the first since the war that will be financially worse off than it parents”?

Now all you have to argue about is what “generation” you’re talking about.

And then decide if being financially worse off is out-weighed by all the things for which this generation is better off.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Please detail these things for us, I am pleased not to have typhoid but what else, please include how much you have “made” in property too

Please detail these things for us, I am pleased not to have typhoid but what else,

Well, aside from all the things already mentioned above, how about the benefit of modern attitudes to equality and diversity? Or the benefit modern attitudes to health and safety or the environment?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So how will those allow me to buy a house? Which will you trade?

molgrips
    Free Member

So you were anti allowing more people to go to Uni and bringing facilities up to date then, as that’s why fees came in.

Should so many people be going to university? Or should other kinds of advanced training be more popular?

So how will those allow me to buy a house?

Is that the only thing that is important to you?

outofbreath
    Free Member

“How about “This generation is the first since the war that will be financially worse off than it parents”?”

Yep, that.

“And then decide if being financially worse off is out-weighed by all the things for which this generation is better off.”

I’m not touching that. If people are claiming studies have proved nobody in history has ever got worse off how the hell are they going to deal with something as subtle as that!

“but isn’t it interesting you have to go back nearly 1000yrs to make your point…”

I think I started with people born in 1900 but nobody likes that one!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is that the only thing that is important to you?

no like you he likes to miss the point, sidestep the issue and then ask a question that is really just a distraction and an attempt to discuss something else

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I think I started with people born in 1900 but nobody likes that one!

Ah, that’s ok then – just a century then….!

😆

kimbers

jambalaya – Member
    Kimbers fron the first page
    Really?, their own polling has shown them that they are likely to loose too many seats

Don’t blame me , take it up with lord Ashcroft 😉

igm

I’ve discussed this with my parents. They feel their generation benefited from a strong financial tail wind (getting cyclingy for a moment) and a society that became freer and more equal year on year.
    Neither they nor I see that for today’s young adults nor for my children’s generation and Brexit is the nail in the coffin.

mefty
    Free Member

Tees Valley Mayoralty (Middlesborough, Darlington etc) – Tories in lead on first preferences.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Ah, that’s ok then – just a century then….!”

Consider yourself lucky, I was thinking of citeing Genesis 41:31.

ninfan
    Free Member

Ah, that’s ok then – just a century then….!

A century isn’t exactly a lot of generations is it? nor is ‘since WW2’.

I fear you are in the territory of cherry picking your data – whats next? This generation is the only generation in the last twenty five years to be worse off than the generation before it?

dragon
    Free Member

Should so many people be going to university? Or should other kinds of advanced training be more popular?

Certainly people should have the opportunity to go to Uni, otherwise they’ll find their jobs taken by people coming in from elsewhere. End of the day employers rightly or wrongly look for bits of paper as a guide to future performance.

Klunk
    Free Member

I fear you are in the territory of cherry picking your data

chewkw
    Free Member

igm – Member
    Neither they nor I see that for today’s young adults nor for my children’s generation and Brexit is the nail in the coffin.

Have you educated your children in French or German languages? If you have not then the blame is on you because of your poor future vision. Not Brexit.

You should be thankful that UK is leaving the EU bureaucratic system because the longer UK stays in their system, the lesser the chance your children will be able to compete.

In the BBC News today, the EU bureaucratic overfiend Juncker has just shown his true colour about the English language meaning, the longer UK stays the better it is for them to erase English language … Guess what reminders create that chance for them …

Oh ya … those that speak English all over the world you are lossers according to the EU bureaucratic overfiend Juncker. Therefore, you better speak German/French and move Hollywood to Berlin or Stuttgart or Lyon.

I think I should start dubbing myself into 70s German pron accent … Ja! 😆

edit: Actually EU bureaucrats have been slowly and systematically nailing your (UK) coffin for the past 43 years without you knowing … 😯

igm

End of the day employers rightly or wrongly look for bits of paper as a guide to future performance

One of the things I like to do at work is run the graduate recruitment process – well the interesting bits, HR can run the procedural bits. The degree might get them to interview, but I’d never take it as an indicator of future performance – an interview is a better indicator of that IMO.
    Last year I had slots for 10 graduates and took 6 because I didn’t think the others I interviewed had what it takes. These were people either with or predicted 2:1 or 1st.
    Later in life a degree might be interesting but I’m far more interested in what they’ve done since.

igm

Have you educated your children in French or German languages? If you have not then the blame is on you because of your poor future vision. Not Brexit.

Chewkw – they’re 10 & 6. And yes they are learning French. I wouldn’t say they could speak it.

Next

jam-bo

In the BBC News today, the EU bureaucratic overfiend Juncker has just shown his true colour about the English language meaning, the longer UK stays the better it is for them to erase English language … Guess what reminders create that chance for them …

Oh ya … those that speak English all over the world you are lossers according to the EU bureaucratic overfiend Juncker. Therefore, you better speak German/French and move Hollywood to Berlin or Stuttgart or Lyon.

I think I should start dubbing myself into 70s German pron accent … Ja!

edit: Actually EU bureaucrats have been slowly and systematically nailing your (UK) coffin for the past 43 years without you knowing …

maybe he should travel a bit and see what language everyone actually speaks…

chewkw
    Free Member

jam bo – Member

maybe he should travel a bit and see what language everyone actually speaks… [/quote]

Maybe the EU bureaucratic overfiend Juncker should phrase his expression properly or has he deliberately done so for some sinister intentions?

Perhaps he could phrase his sentence to something like “Our German/French/Spain etc language is getting more popular so lets focus on our language …” Without taking a swipe at the world of English/English related language speakers? Ja? 🙄

igm

I thought he phrased it very neatly.

English becoming less important – not unimportant.

I found it quite humorous they way it was done to wind up a certain sort of rabid whinger and worked perfectly.

deviant
    Free Member

He can gob off all he likes, compared to US politicians he’s a minnow and as long as the US, Canada, and Australia continues to speak English and it remains the international language of business then his gum flapping is just that….the bitter ramblings of someone of Luxembourg nationality.

…..and that’s the crux of the matter for me, politicians from Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg etc have realised they are insignificant on the world stage, hence the EU to their rescue….now they can be a big fish in a sizeable pond.
    They could do with some humility and take a long hard look at the amazing ‘success’ that is Greece, it’s shameful and deserves more news coverage but it goes against the general left wing bias in the T.V. news that all is great in the EU…..Germany essentially props up the EU, if they get bored, run out of money or change political direction (delete as applicable) it’s going to implode in an ugly mess with Russia on the sidelines waiting to pick up the pieces and expand their old USSR territories.
    I’m happier we’re leaving, we need more economic and military unity with the US, Canada, NZ and Australia to ensue our survival….talk of an EU army was always laughable due to language and political differences, we have far more in common with our English speaking allies.

If Russia kicks off just give them France and Germany, the central European powers have been given fair warning (i worked last year with an EXTREMELY high ranking soldier who rated Russia above all else as Europe’s biggest threat)….politicians aren’t listening as it’s an old story (cold war etc), ISIS and the middle East/syria makes for better headlines.

North Korea is a joke, a semi serious distraction…..meanwhile Juncker spouts off about the demise of the English language (bitter much?)…he talks like the world is speaking in French, German or Lexembourgish (yes it exists!)….there will be some difficulties with Brexit I’m sure but what is more worrying are the number of countries in the EU taking from the pot while Germany supports everything, it’s unsustainable (again, see Greece)…..when Spain can no longer afford to repair it’s excellent roads, when Portuguese fisherman are locked out of British waters, when half the EU countries can’t afford their NATO contributions you’ll see just how wonderful the EU is then.

This is why people like Juncker are angry, the UK is a net contributor, they need our money, without it they can see the writing on the wall and living standards in the EU dropping markedly….as a side note, our middle eastern neighbor Turkey (who the EU have been teasing with membership) for years have elected a hardline president, if ever they could do with our military it’s now and we’ve given them the heave ho…..no wonder this no mark is crapping himself, he can see what’s coming, the UK however has always had the advantage of being an island as a natural geographical protectorate.

Sorry for the doom mongering scenario but dig below the trivial tabloid ‘you might be £1,000 a year worse off under Brexit’ and things get really scary.

kimbers

deviant you havent really read what junker was saying, have u?

7 out of 10 for the ill-informed rant tho 😉

dragon
    Free Member

Lets face it his comment was really made to influence French voters to vote for Macron, it has no basis in truth.

If you want to deal with North America, Arabs, big chunks of Africa, Aussies/NZ, big parts of Asia, then as a business language English is the go to.

Also things like ISO standards use English, French & Russian as their core language so no changes there.

deviant
    Free Member

Kimbers, it’s largely irrelevant what he was saying. Small time politician made it big in the EU and can now see his and the EUs influence diminishing as our surrounding neighbours like Russia and Turkey look all set for a nice peaceful chit chat over tea and biscuits (sarcasm)….. If ever he needed to be courting the UK and it’s natural allies in the US, NZ and Australia then this is it….but he can’t see past his own nose and the anger caused by the Brexit vote.
    Small man with no political foresight.

ninfan
    Free Member

Lets not forget the last European leader to slag off the English Language 😀

“the English language lacks the ability to express thoughts that surpass the order of concrete things”

Northwind

thecaptain – Member

Now, most will never pay off their debts (which of course does mean the debt isn’t as big a problem as the headline figure appears, but it’s still there, and quite large)

It’s still a problem, just a different problem- think subprime. The student loan book is massively overvalued. It’ll end up largely being written off, written down, or sold off for a fraction of its current claimed “value” like the last lots. So it becomes something akin to PPI- a way of hiding a massive debt until years from now, by cutting it up really small and giving it to 18 year olds to carry til their 40s

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Have you educated your children in French or German languages?

This from a man? living in England who struggles to string a sentence together in English 🙂

scotroutes

When did STW start allowing signatures?

igm

The projected national vote share for the Tories is 38% to Labour’s 27%, the Lib Dems’ 18% and UKIP’s 5%.

From the Beeb so Brexies can ignore, but…

An 11% difference is way down on the 20% in the opinion polls the other week. Bit more campaigning by May and Abbott (who seem to be competing in some sort of bizarre anti-campaign) plus a smudge of smart voting and this is going to be very fun.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

deviant – Member – Block User – Quote
    He can gob off all he likes

igm

I seem to remember Fish singing “I don’t trust the government, I don’t trust alternatives, it’s not that I’m paranoid, it’s just that’s the way it is…”

Song for our times?

kelvin

Lexembourgish (yes it exists!)

Little Englander comment of the week.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

It’s still a problem, just a different problem- think subprime. The student loan book is massively overvalued. It’ll end up largely being written off, written down, or sold off fo

You hope..

wilburt
    Free Member

This anti Europe (confused with EU) thing seems based on some kind of feeling we are superior. If you actually spend anytime in France, Italy, Spain, Holland, German etc they appear to have better lives than we do in the UK and that’s supported by key life metrics.

Generally speaking new Anglo Saxon countries US, UK, Aus like to drill their population into the ground to make a buck for shareholders which means there’s opportunities for some but poor lives for others and that’s not really a community.

The final irony of the little Englander ignorance is they are probably of European decent anyway.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Generally speaking new Anglo Saxon countries US, UK, Aus like to drill their population into the ground to make a buck for shareholders which means there’s opportunities for some but poor lives for others and that’s not really a community.

I so much agree with this.

If only the Labour party (or even the Lib Dems) could articulate this properly we’d have a chance of change.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 2,885 total)

The topic ‘Is May about to call an election?’ is closed to new replies.