Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 2,885 total)
  • Is May about to call an election?
  • kimbers

mefty – Member
    Reports that Zac is returning to try and get Richmond back? As a Tory this time.
    He’ll win

just think of all the slightly racist leaflets he can produce with full party funding (+ the off the book extras, obvs)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mefty I wouldn’t vote for him, Jess Phillips had it nailed in that tweet of hers

@aracer my take of the holidays thing is “what a total joke”, I mean there are so many issues facung the country and JC’s suggestion is more days off.

@kimbers debates have no upside for the favourite / current PM – May is not daft there is absolutely no need to do one.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

He’ll win

He may well win. After all, there’s a dearth of Eton-educated posh-boy dog whistling types like him in the HoP. There’s a good chance the residents of Richmond will gladly see him back in to help with the shortage.

kimbers

@aracer my take of the holidays thing is “what a total joke”, I mean there are so many issues facung the country and JC’s suggestion is more days off.

its approximately 1,000,438 x less stupid than brexit as a solution to all our problems, but these are crazy times after all

aracer
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be so sure – it was a Lib Dem seat until 2010 (when they narrowly lost) and check the way that constituency voted in the referendum. It wasn’t a whim voting him out last time.

mefty
    Free Member

Jess Phillips had it nailed in that tweet of hers

He kept a promise he made to his electorate, didn’t work out for him because many were apathetic about it – but therein lies his path to victory in my view.

aracer
    Free Member

He’s trying to win an election. Do you think he should announce some important policy which the people he needs to vote Labour will pay no attention to? I thought the whole criticism about him was based on him being useless at winning elections…

mefty
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be so sure – it was a Lib Dem seat until 2010 (when they narrowly lost) and check the way that constituency voted in the referendum. It wasn’t a whim voting him out last time.

I know I live in it. The LibDems poured alot of resources in to win the by-election, which they won’t be able to repeat. There was a lot of apathy illustrated by turnout down 20% hence my view he has a good chance.

GrahamS

debates have no upside for the favourite / current PM

Surely an obvious upside would be winning votes? Wasn’t that why she called the election in the first place, to give people a chance to unite behind her and her party?

Or does she think she’d lose votes in a face-to-face debate?

mefty
    Free Member

Surely an obvious upside would be winning votes?

I don’t think she needs any help from debates to do this – she is on course to break the record for the highest number of votes presently held by John Major.

kimbers

There was a lot of apathy illustrated by turnout down 20% hence my view he has a good chance.

Brenda from Brizzle makes me think that turnout might not be rollocking this time 😉

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRrVpHOqWx4[/video]

outofbreath
    Free Member

Or does she think she’d lose votes in a face-to-face debate?

Of course she thinks she’d lose votes, for all the well accepted reasons sensible incumbents avoid debates spelled out in this thread.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Going back to Zac…

Runs dog-whistle campaign against Muslim mayoral candidate. Steps down from his seat “on principle” and loses in supposed Brexit backlash. Comes back to represent party from which he resigned because of a policy on an airport which hasn’t changed.

Representing so many issues in politics today. He’d be perfect.

aracer
    Free Member

Which is what gives hope to the thought that it might not quite go according to the opinion polls. It’s the relative turnout which could do it (along with tactical voting, but that will have a relatively minor effect compared to what variations in turnout could).

kimbers

It’s a nice thought aracer, but I’m not optimistic

Re Brenda’s reaction, it’s almost as if people are sick of politicians stirring up division and disunity in the country to satisfy their own hunger for power…

GrahamS

(both via The Poke)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Of course she thinks she’d lose votes, for all the well accepted reasons sensible incumbents avoid debates spelled out in this thread.

I thought w had cleared up this myth. There isn’t enough evidence in UK examples and the US has some but it’s far from conclusive. It hurts an incumbent of they have a questionable record and plenty of lies/u turns to talk about.
    Love the bus idea too.
    Also can anyone be bothered to find the quotes from Jamby dismissing polls as irrelevant (I think there was only a few hundred)
    On polling data that I checked your Monday morning they were all carried out at the latest Thurs or Fri last week so before any even minor policy or appearances were done so highly inaccurate of swing voters which is what counts.

GrahamS

Apparently we have reached Peak UKIP. Meet their Garscadden/Scotstounhill candidate, Gisela Allen:

(clipping via The Poke. Original story: The Herald)

tjagain

kimbers – Member

and still May is till too scared to debate corbyn?

Yes – because she know that without her cheerleaders behind her she will look daft and that the rest will gang up on her

TV debates are one place I expect Corbyn to come over well.

oldnpastit

I could vote for that. Death penalty (guillotine would be OK) for people who fill up plastic bags with dog poo and hang them from trees.

piemonster

Struggling to determine if Gisella Allen is real or a parody

pondo

A bit of both, like the party she represents.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I see May wants to be a world leader in preventing tourism. 😆

I suppose given that she’s had the same holidays for the last 43 years, I can see where that’s coming from.

aracer
    Free Member

I hope you’re not intolerant of beastialists

martinhutch

Death penalty (guillotine would be OK) for people who fill up plastic bags with dog poo and hang them from trees.

She’s abolished plastic bags. So think again!

Is it fair to say that we’ve found the shallowest bit of the already not-very-deep UKIP talent pool?

kimbers

slippier than a greased up watermelon in a swimmingpool

https://www.facebook.com/PoliticsUnbranded/videos/1805323443118866

cranberry
    Free Member

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vjPSemRlpAk

Theresa May getting a few rejections knocking on doors. Maybe they think she’s going to be a bloody difficult woman. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Meanwhile, Mummy came to visit my neighbourhood yesterday evening…another community hall full of placard holding stuffed shirts. Hilariously, the local Tory councillor posted, in Mummy’s defence, that there were indeed working class people in the hall. He knew for sure, because he could see some of them wearing “paint spattered overalls”. 😆

[video]http://youtu.be/XhesL_SVoHA[/video]

bikebouy
    Free Member

jambalaya
    Free Member

Another very good day for the Tories.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Another day, another #jambafact

mattjg
    Free Member

lol @bikebouy.

jamba – a bit early to say I think.

grum
    Free Member

The Tories dropped by 10 points in the polls in the first week of the campaign

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/theresa-may-general-election-jeremy-corbyn-tim-farron-campaigns-a7711501.html

mattjg
    Free Member

Why won’t Corbyn debate on TV? I understand why May won’t, but Corbyn has all to gain and usually presents well.

ferrals
    Free Member

Because he’s a Lilly livered surrender monkey 😆

I have no idea and agree it’s odd, he seems to capitulate at strange things. I’m going to hazard a guess it’s to do with some misguided notion of fairness and that the debates wouldn’t be legitimate without Tory participation

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Why won’t Corbyn debate on TV?”

Gives a platform to opponents. Unless May is involved he’s better off staying well away.

DrJ

Another very bad day for the country. But who cares about that? It’s only the poor who’ll really suffer, jamba will be fine.

igm

Because the only two who even with a following wind could realistically form a government are Corbyn and May.
    And therefore the debate needs to include both those two.
    If Submarine May (to use her old nickname) has decided to run away there’s not much point in doing it – unless he’s guaranteed that they will empty chair her and keep referring to her absence.

Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 2,885 total)

The topic ‘Is May about to call an election?’ is closed to new replies.