Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 2,885 total)
  • Is May about to call an election?
  • mefty
    Free Member

Religion is like a penis. Its Ok to have one, its fine to enjoy it, its not acceptable to wave it around in public nor try to stuff it down someones throat

If only you applied the same rules to your own bigoted views. You are one of the least tolerant people on this site.

milleboy
    Free Member

You’ve got the SNP to thank for that among others, they are the ones who helped vote down the extension proposed earlier in the parliament.

So it’s the Scottish fault then that Sunday has restricted trading laws? Why isn’t this stuff taught in schools? I was always under the impression that God rested on a Sunday, and so did we, all day, until recently. Now we just rest a little before 10 and after 4.
    I’m never going to eat another Tunnocks tea cake again……

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

@tj…That religion like a penis quip is genius. Made me chuckle. 😀

ulysse
    Free Member

I’ll never eat a tunnocks for entirely different reasons.

Tory donating ****

mefty
    Free Member

So it’s the Scottish fault then that Sunday has restricted trading laws?

The point is the significant resistance to change no longer comes from Christians but from Trade Unionists, Scots etc.

Northwind

martinhutch – Member

“Most Christians do not go around forcing their views on other people”, would have worked better for Farron.

Yup. Or, just don’t say anything like that, make it personal. “Don’t worry about my christianity because I’m dead christian and we’re really lovely” isn’t going to address anyone’s concerns.

Christians can’t enforce their views on LGBT etc on anyone. The most they can do is tut loudly or have a passive aggressive prayer meeting nearby.

Or become a politician

tjagain

Mefty – Im no bigot. find one post of mine that contains any bigoted views

Insulting someone like you just have to me shows you have lost the arguement

Christians are constantly trying to force their views on people and I gave you some good examples. Now how about the prayer vigils outside marie stopes clinics?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Why? It is a pretty fundamental Christian viewpoint, which illustrates perfectly why his views are pretty irrelevant when it comes to his “professional” life.

This.

I’m pretty sure I’ve done all kinds of things that a devout Christian would regard as a sin. Wouldn’t stop me voting for a Christian. FFS, isn’t eating shellfish a sin as well? Most things that are sins are a bit more fun *because* they are sins. 😀

…and if people don’t want a Christian in No10 because Christians are bigots, does that mean the wouldn’t want a devout Muslim in No10 for the same reason?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Mefty – Im no bigot. find one post of mine that contains any bigoted views

So you would be happy with a devout Muslim in No10?

If so why wouldn’t you be happy with a devout Christian?

I’m assuming you’d be happy with one faith, but not the other. Even if you wouldn’t accept either faith you’re sounding a bit bigoted.

Edukator
    Free Member

If so why wouldn’t you be happy with a devout Christian?

Because of what the last one did – Blair.

tjagain

I wouldn’t want any devout person of any faith as prime minister.

tjagain

OOB – I did not say all christians are bigots. I know some that are not. However Farron is a bigot with his homophobic views

outofbreath
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want any devout person of any faith as prime minister.

…but you’re not a bigot!

tjagain

Nope I am not. I have perfectly good and valid reasons for this. I want my prime minister to be a rational person who believes in science.

Now explain why my not wanting a devout person as my prime minister makes me a bigot?

piemonster

big·ot (b?g??t)
    n.
    One who is strongly partial to one’s own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

How you two view that definition I’ll leave to your own pissing contests

ninfan
    Free Member

Farron is a bigot with his homophobic views

Is he? How is he being intolerant of gay people?

In fact, what he seems to have said is very much the opposite of intolerance, whatever his personal religious beliefs on homosexuality are.

Edukator
    Free Member

“devout” is the watchword here. When it’s applied to Muslims it’s often replaced with “fundamentalist” or “fanatic”. I have no problem with people who have “faith” in positions of power. The problems start when you add a strong qualifier such as “devout”. I’ve walked to Compostelle twice (and then some) but I’m not about to let any religious doctrine compromise my views as a humanist and geologist.

oldnpastit

+1 Ninfan.

outofbreath
    Free Member

How you two view that definition I’ll leave to your own pissing contests

You’re intolerant of people who engage in pissing contests? Does that mean TJ and I can’t be Prime Minister? 🙁

ninfan
    Free Member

“devout” is the watchword here. When it’s applied to Muslims it’s often replaced with “fundamentalist” or “fanatic”

Seems to me that ‘devout’ refers to the commitment and devotion to the principles of your religion you exercise in your own life
    ‘Fundamentalist’ is expecting, harrying, coercing and/or forcing others to abide by the principles of your religion in their lives

tjagain

Ninfan – he believes homosexuality is a sin.

igm

Do you want people who believe in heaven choosing whether the country goes to war?

Discuss

outofbreath
    Free Member

How is he being intolerant of gay people?

I don’t see it myself, either.

If you asked him, “Do you think drinking yourself stupid and shagging a fat bird you don’t know is a sin” he’d probably have to admit he thought it was, and loads of people have done that.

He’s not going to set up concentration camps for drunken shaggers, and I doubt many drunken shaggers would take offence at him considering it a sin.

tjagain

By that definition Ninfan Farron is a fundamentalist. so lets just wap devout then for fundamentalist.

Northwind

Personally I have no problem with it; it’s totally possible to separate your beliefs from your actions, or to rationalise them, especially when working as part of a larger group, and I’m sure Farron’s capable of that. It’d be a small vote-loser but it didn’t have to be a critical one. There’s lots of people of faith in government.

But he’s making a total arse of the question, over and over. In a similar vein he genuinely thought it was a good idea to accuse Labour of being “Tory enablers”. The leader of the Lib Dems.

GrahamS

Wow this thread has got off topic.

Discussing whether Farron’s views make him an acceptable choice as a prime minister is largely academic. It’s not going to happen any time soon!

corroded
    Free Member

I’m far more impressed by the fact that Farron is a Christian but hasn’t let his personal views influence the policies of his party. That’s a huge plus in my eyes and a credit to both Farron and the Lib Dems.

outofbreath
    Free Member

He’s making a total arse of the question, over and over,

That’s what staggers me. If he simply said “I don’t think homosexuality is a sin” it would be the smallest of smallest white lies. Just say that.

Of if he really can’t bring himself to say that just say: “Strict interpretation of the scriptures says Homosexuality (along with eating shellfish) is a sin, I think that’s a bit harsh and don’t really buy into it.”.

It really doesn’t seem a tricky issue to kill stone dead.

piemonster

/\/\ wot Northwind said

ninfan
    Free Member

Ninfan – he believes homosexuality is a sin.

Well, he appears to have said the opposite, it’s just that he refused to be drawn in to going through a list of his personal beliefs in a series on interviews, as is right. However even if he did, so what? tTat’s a belief he is fully entitled to, because it’s a free world and as a society we dont believe in thought crime.

That doesn’t amount to intolerance, just a personal belief – He hasn’t said anything suggesting in any way that people should be castigated, threatened, ostracised or punished for being gay, which would.

By that definition Ninfan Farron is a fundamentalist. so lets just wap devout then for fundamentalist.

Looks like you’re making stuff up again.

He’s making a total arse of the question, over and over,

I think he just sees where it naturally ends up, answer the first question, the follow up is “is this a sin too then” and so on ad infinitum.

He should have learned from Father Jack:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ptd_h0dF7NE[/video]

outofbreath
    Free Member

Discussing whether Farron’s views make him an acceptable choice as a prime minister is largely academic. It’s not going to happen any time soon!

I was wondering if the liberals came out firmly “Retract Art 50 & remain” and if every single Remainer voted Liberal, could they mathematically be the biggest party?

piemonster

You’re intolerant of people who engage in pissing contests? Does that mean TJ and I can’t be Prime Minister?

No, and there’ll be no pudding either

outofbreath
    Free Member

Well, he appears to have said the opposite, it’s just that he refused to be drawn in to going through a list of his personal beliefs in a series on interviews, as is right.

The fact he’s voted for gay marriage suggests he doesn’t have a massive problem with it. Unless he’s trying to spoil Gay sex by letting them get married!

However even if he did, so what? tTat’s a belief he is fully entitled to, because it’s a free world and as a society we dont believe in thought crime.

Exactly.

I think lane hogging is a sin. I’m not going to start hanging lane hoggers. (…but that’s a bad example because I would if I was PM.)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Has anyone ever asked Sadiq Khan if he thinks homosexuality is a sin?

ninfan
    Free Member

Racist!

GrahamS

It’s an odd day when A) ninfan is defending the LibDems and B) I find myself agreeing with him! 😯

tjagain

Would be an interesting question CFH

Last point on Farron – he has consistently voted against or abstained on many issues affecting womens and gay rights where his fundamental religious views are at odds with his own party.

He voted for compulsory counselling for women facing abortions. He votd for a compulsory ” cooling off” period for women seeking abortions
    He voted for allowing registrars to be able to refuse to officiate at gay weddings. He voted for there to be no sanction for registars who refuse to officiate at gay weddings

Long record of abstensions as well where his fundamentalist views clash with his parties policy – a cynical ploy so he wouldn’t have to be seen for the bigot he is

outofbreath
    Free Member

ninfan is defending the LibDems

I know this isn’t a common viewpoint on STW but I think Ninfan is usually defending sanity, and he usually posts actual links to facts to make his point whereas is detractors usually just go straight for the Ad Hom.

GrahamS

Has anyone ever asked Sadiq Khan if he thinks homosexuality is a sin?

How many Gay Pride marches has Farron been on?

outofbreath
    Free Member

He voted for compulsory counselling for women facing abortions. He votd for a compulsory ” cooling off” period for women seeking abortions

How extreme!

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 2,885 total)

The topic ‘Is May about to call an election?’ is closed to new replies.