Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is longer always better?
  • marksnook
    Free Member

Been looking at replacing my 2016 process 153 in the new year, something similar in travel, looking at an edit, comparing numbers the small is similar, slightly longer seat tube though, medium is longer. Always felt my process was slightly small. Running the dropper 3 inches out of the frame. Not sure about length though. Process front end wanders on steep climbs, will longer make that worse?
    Also looking atbthe new patrol which the numbers are way different again!

nickc

Edit doesn’t wander on the climbs if that helps.

chiefgrooveguru

No. I’ve tried longer and wound back a bit. It’s still long compared to the default a few years back but slightly on the short side compared to contemporary (but not cutting edge) geometry.

The disadvantage I found was related to twistier, flatter, natural trails when front wheel grip is critical. Not a problem for climbing or anything in straightish lines.

marksnook
    Free Member

Ok, that was my main concern. In my head longer would make the front wheel wander. The medium edit is 20mm longer in reach and ett, longer seat tube and wheel base. My kona has always felt stable at speed. I guess the only sacrifice is tight turns. Hope fully be able to get up to Sheffield to test the edit but it’s a trek for sure!

chiefgrooveguru

It doesn’t feel like it’s a wheelbase issue but that thing where in tight turns you flick the bike from your hips and in doing so you can’t simultaneously weight the front. Fine in berms where grip is rarely an issue, or quick slalom turns or big wide flat turns, or climbing. But there a certain sort of cheeky singletrack that too much front centre length messes up.

marksnook
    Free Member

Yeah I hear what you are saying. I guess going either way will be a trade off. Looking into all these numbers is confusing! Hope fully get to do some testing

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Is longer always better?

For what?

I say this only half in jest.

mjsmke

Width is important too.

rene59
    Free Member

Is longer always better?

No, after a certain length it’s pointless going longer as the human body can’t handle the extra inches. I’m led to believe width and girth is another matter, the more the better.

That’s why I am mostly on 29+.

marksnook
    Free Member

Yeah the wife just laughed and said what about width!

In all fairness a medium airdrop edit is hardly aircraft carrier length

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is longer always better?’ is closed to new replies.