Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Is LifeCycles THE best bike film ever made?
  • trailhound
    Free Member

Yes is the answer.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

No.

HTH.

ps. VAST 😉

asterix
    Free Member

Yes

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jamie
    Free Member

It’s ok if you turn the sound down. I think I am remembering right, LifeCycles is the one with the punch-yourself-in-the-balls-annoying cod-psychology narration, right?

p.s http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/when-making-your-polished-mtb-vid-please-remember-the-following

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Hello? American Flyers?

coogan
    Free Member

Bike films are dull.

Crag
    Free Member

BMX bandits is the best cycling film ever made.

zangolin
    Free Member

Breaking Away – won an Oscar for the best original screenplay back in 1979
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078902/

madhouse

Just watched it, liked it a lot!

BearBack
    Free Member

yes, aside from the Vanderham section at the end from a story line perspective.. didn’t really fit with anything else, although it took an insane amount of time and effort to capture..
    We got a mention for providing their Whistler accomm.. so that was ‘awesome’.. never did get that big directors commentary segment that we were promised though 🙁
    still nice to see what goes into the production.

kcr
    Free Member

It’s got to be Breaking Away, or for a short film, this:
    http://youtu.be/yHkOIFyC26E

Both films that express how important cycling can be for people.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Jour de Fete. Jacques Tati

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Never watched anything better than Vast

ComradeD
    Free Member

Life Cycles was awful.

Agree with Vast, great film.

JCL
    Free Member

Jour de Fete. Jacques Tati

A classic indeed. “American style”.

jamj1974

^^. All the above – you cannot be serious…?

Have none of you seen BMX Bandits?

chrssmale
    Free Member

Don’t forget ET, they had a proper gnarly kicker in that.

jamj1974

Don’t forget ET, they had a proper gnarly kicker in that.

True, true.

jamj1974

Sure I have seen bicycles in that cutting edge comedy set somewhere up North. Last of the summer wind?

JCL
    Free Member

Another contender.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA63KRWlguk[/video]

reggiegasket
    Free Member

check out those moguls on the Hell Track.

PrinceJohn

No. If they played it at full speed instead of slow motion it’d be about 5 mins long.

It is beautifully shot but it’s soooooo boring.

takisawa2

Roam & Seasons for me.

I watch them when I’m ironing.

Coyote
    Free Member

Lol @ takisawa2. Ditto!

MSP

God NO! Life cycles is more about pretentious effects and sweeping slow motion shots than it is about riding a bike. All I can remember about it is watching the leaves change colour and wondering how many time the maker had watched American Beauty.

The earthed series are still the best.

plumber
    Free Member

Lifecycles is shockingly dull, I’ve never seen a biking video that I’d watch more than once with the excepetion of this

http://teampickle.co.uk/2010/05/31/a-mountain-biking-film-lee-quarry/

and

andyspaceman

It was Mud Cows.

But seriously, I’ve not seen a film push things forward as much as The Collective. Roam and Seasons are great, but they were more of the same.

The Earthed series were awesome. Not seen A Sunday in Hell, but several people have told me I should. Mission for this weekend.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Said it at the time it was doing the rounds in small cinemas, but no. Not by a long, long way. Its so far up its own arse its inside out. Dull american drawl which is totally not needed, too much slow mo, too many clips of leaves falling, too many clips of leaves on the ground etc etc. Someone tried far too hard to be all artsy and it backfired. I’m glad I was semi-lashed the first time I saw it at Headingly Picture House. Watched it on YouTube the other day and its no better sober.

Seasons is very good, as is Roam. I’ve only seen The Collective once but I remember that being pretty good.

I enjoy watching the grass roots type stuff better rather than MTB superstars backflipping in corn fields. Stuff like the Sweary Northerners (which is close to my own heart) I’d much rather watch on Vimeo any day of the week…

MarkN
    Free Member

It’s got to be Breaking Away, or for a short film, this:
    http://youtu.be/yHkOIFyC26E

Thanks for sharing that. Great film.

MrAgreeable

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPTu2F450sk[/video]

richmtb

No

When I went to New Zealand Emirates actually had LifeCycles on the sports channel.

Stuck on a plane for 24 hours I still couldn’t be bothered to watch it all the way through. After the 23rd slo-mo shot and the narrator going on about the “poetry of physics and exaltation of chain oil” or some other such shite I gave up on it and watched Senna instead which i’d already seen three times

Roam or Seasons for me too

tommyv
    Free Member

In my opinion ‘Follow me’ is the best so far, its the only one i can watch more than twice a year and when ever I do it gets me inspired to get out and ride. Like all bike flicks it has its not so good sections but overall I never get board of watching it. Life cycles has some great creative shooting going on but in essence is a ‘watch it once’ film.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Roam and Seasons +1

Collective was good, but not quite as cohesive? Felt a bit like they could go back to it and make it better after watching the second two.

Worst has to be Chlorophillia?

wwaswas

Belleville Rendezvous

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

BMX bandits is the best cycling film ever made.

This.

On a serious note and considering recent films only I really like Strength in Numbers.

mintimperial

Belleville Rendezvous

Yes indeed.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Dull american drawl

Why do they do this? Every film seems to have some Yank droning on and on about how spiritual yet rad their journey has been. It’s awful. It’s not just the bike films, overrated snowboard film Art of Flight is a prime example.

And while I’m on the topic, Where the Trail Ends is a pile of absolute toss.

Earthed series is the best for me.

atlaz
    Free Member

Lifecycles was a film I’d show people who like nature and film-making rather than mountain biking. Another fan of Vast here. Absolutely the best MTB film I’ve ever seen as it doesn’t seem to take itself too seriously and the most “pedestrian” part of it with Schnell and Wildhaber is the thing that makes me want to ride my bike with mates most of all and probably the bit I show people to explain why I love riding my mountain bike.

Vast overall just feels like a load of people who want to ride bikes and have fun, lifecycles falls short of that. I have the same issue with Where the trail ends. Impressive technically and some amazing riding but I can’t relate to that sort of riding so it leaves me a bit cold.

svalgis
    Free Member

For it to be the best bike film ever made, shouldn’t it consist of more than 50% riding?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Is LifeCycles THE best bike film ever made?’ is closed to new replies.