• This topic has 29 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Is John Lewis still the best place to buy an ipad air?
  • redstripe
    Free Member

All seem to be same price everywhere but JL have an extra years guarantee so makes sense unless anyone knows different?
    cheers

peterfile
    Free Member

Work out what the cheapest you can get an ipad air is, then subtract that from the JL price. The result is the cost of the 2nd year warranty 🙂

If the prices are the same then it’s a no brainer.

loum
    Free Member

Work out what the cheapest you can get an ipad air is, then subtract that from the JL price. ask JL to price match.

bigblackshed

Apple’s agressive RRP mandate will mean everywhere will be the same price. Bar a few pence.

There is a 2 year warranty on all electrical goods bought within the EU. You just have to be pushy if need be.

withersea
    Free Member

Cheaper still, check out the Apple UK refurbished section online. You may need to wait until one come up though!

LHS
    Free Member

Find a friend coming back from the US

toby1

Sounds like JL wins again then!

damion
    Free Member

I’d go to JL every time, purely for the fact that you can take it back to them and ask them to sort it rather than having to deal with a ‘genius’

jon1973
    Free Member

Find a friend coming back from the US

Are they significantly cheaper in the US?

LHS
    Free Member

About £120 cheaper depending on model.

redstripe
    Free Member

Thanks for tips, have got a work colleague over in US now due back next week, I’ll see what price they are there first. Assume if she can’t sneak back might get clobbered for some kind of duty?

Jamie
    Free Member

£350 at Game.

Ring JL, and get them to price match.

LHS
    Free Member

Assume if she can’t sneak back might get clobbered for some kind of duty?

She’ll have no problems unless she has a suitcase of about 20 of them. Bring Ipads, Ipods and Macbooks back from the US all the time.

johndoh
    Free Member

Cheaper still, check out the Apple UK refurbished section online. You may need to wait until one come up though!

I do this every time – almost all of work’s Mac kit is from the refurb store.

redstripe
    Free Member

I got one from US and back already, after local 8.5% US tax, £110 cheaper for the 32gb model wanted compared to UK price, just hope it’ll be okay guarantee wise should there be any problems.

DT78
    Free Member

Tescos gets you points

Drac

just hope it’ll be okay guarantee wise should there be any problems.

With Apple yes it’s fine.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’d go to JL every time, purely for the fact that you can take it back to them and ask them to sort it rather than having to deal with a ‘genius’

Not sure I understand that ?

Any time I’ve had any problems with my apple kit, I’ve walked into the apple store and they have sorted it out.

They are fast, and it’s always been free.

What do John Lewis do that’s any different ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Apple sell air now do they? Blimey, those fanbois will pay for anything with a logo on it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Yes. Along with Nike, Adobe, Ryan etc etc.

GrahamS

One of the big selling points of Apple gear is the availability of free technical support and top customer service from those Genius Bars.

Why would you rather deal with a shop assistant who doesn’t know an iPad from a kettle? 😕

nealglover
    Free Member

Apple sell air now do they?

Apple air makes WIFI work faster than standard air.

You need a lot of it to make a difference though, and it leaks out when you open the door, so it gets quite expensive.

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought Adobe made those houses, out of mud and straw?

fubar
    Free Member

One of the big selling points of Apple gear is the availability of free technical support and top customer service from those Genius Bars.

If only you can get a convenient appointment. I’ve found this to be difficult at times even when trying to book days in advance.
    A friend tried to return a faulty item to a Apple store without an appointment going in early on a Saturday but they wouldn’t see him (to exchange the faulty item) until 16:00. Most other (decent) shops would have exchanged the item straight away I think.

GrahamS

Your local Apple store must be a lot busier than the one in the MetroCentre then.

Never had a problem getting an appointment there and have also just walked in and been seen. Always helps to go off-peak mind, that way you get a nice relaxed tech who is more likely to bend the rules for you if you are polite 😀

damion
    Free Member

+1 fubar

Had wildly varying experiences at the genius bar, both milton keynes and covent garden. More negatives than positives, whereas the John Lewis staff have been brilliant every time. YMMV etc etc 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Never had a problem with the Cambridge Apple Store, in relation to getting seen, but I have had to deal with a few smug bastards when doing so. You work in the store, you didn’t invent the ***ing thing.

The worse **** tried to get me to sign a receipt with a giant novelty pen he had hanging round his neck.

GrahamS

I assumed smugness was part of the Apple corporate training. 😀

eskay

I am fairly sure that john lewis are doing 3 year warranties on all ipads at the moment (saw a sign outside of jl in cribbs causeway last week).

Drac

They were the other week but that offer has ended back to 2 years now.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Is John Lewis still the best place to buy an ipad air?’ is closed to new replies.