Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Is Joey Essex really dumb or is it an act
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Listening to hom on the radio and either he is a great actor or dumber than dog dirt.

cdoc
    Free Member

It has to be an act. He is just too perfectly idiotic to be a real moron.

1-shed
    Free Member

He may have learning difficulties but doesn’t have difficulty earning money.

sadexpunk

bit of both id say. thick as sh1t anyway, but juuuust clever enough to realise that playing on it earns him more money.

Klunk
    Free Member

bit of both id say. thick as sh1t anyway, but juuuust clever enough to realise that playing on it earns him more money.

or well managed

McHamish
    Free Member

Joey Essex, the brand, is an invention.

Whether that was originally by the producers of TOWIE, or by him, who knows.

But it’s him that comes out with the stupid comments (too stupid to be actually real)…I wonder if he’s actually a marketing genius.

Rorschach
    Free Member

As is Karl Pilkington….they are characterizations of themselves.

breadcrumb

I can’t believe anyone that stupid has managed to survive! Must be an act.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

You can’t compare Joey Essex with Pilkington. Pilkington isn’t thick, he has a view of the world that is different to most and has bizarre theories due to a lack of education. But unlike Joey Essex Pilkington is incredibly witty.

hora
    Free Member

Tbh most of us would come across as dull at best infront of a camera.

peakyblinder
    Free Member

Its an act. He owns about 30 patents in biosciences. He’s a genius.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Listening to hom on the radio

If you were listening to him, he’s clearly not dumb.

“dumb” means unable to speak. Please don’t assume that people who are dumb are stupid.

seadog101

I’m pretty sure he isn’t a polymath with a string of qualifications hiding in the closet, but you cannot be quite so successful and be out and out thick. He may come across as naïve, and lacking in educational rigour, but there’s a certain amount of smartness in there.

Should intelligence just be measured by erudite comments and academic excellence?

Edric64
    Free Member

Just a mouth breathing pretty boy moron the world is full of them.

Rorschach
    Free Member

“dumb” means unable to speak. Please don’t assume that people who are dumb are stupid.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Act. Seen him on a couple of programmes and he has really struggled to come across as thick.

phil40
    Free Member

I thought being unable to speak was called mute!

Only reason was we had a student whose diagnosis was that she was an elective mute (she could speak to some people but not others). It made teaching the interesting!

Happy to be proven wrong though

gobuchul
    Free Member

Pilkington isn’t thick, he has a view of the world that is different to most and has bizarre theories due to a lack of education.

Pilkington is an act. Following a planned script with that fat annoying twunt who was funny for about 6 weeks, 12 years ago.

Joey Essex is a bit thick and has learnt how to play on that. Still an act though.

njee20
    Free Member

If you were listening to him, he’s clearly not dumb.

You know… Words can have more than one meaning? Did you struggle to understand what he meant? 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

dumb (d?m)
    adj. dumb·er, dumb·est
    a. Lacking the power of speech. Used of animals and inanimate objects.
    b. Offensive Incapable of using speech; mute. Used of humans. See Usage Note at mute.
    2. Temporarily speechless, as with shock or fear: I was dumb with disbelief.
    3. Unwilling to speak; taciturn.
    4. Not expressed or articulated in sounds or words: dumb resentment.
    5. Nautical Not self-propelling.
    6. Conspicuously unintelligent; stupid: dumb officials; a dumb decision.
    7. Unintentional; haphazard: dumb luck.

Worth thinking what dumb down means as well in the context of “thick”

As for Joey I am completely unfamiliar with him in all respects and had never heard of him.

Drac

Pilkington is an act. Following a planned script with that fat annoying twunt who was funny for about 6 weeks, 12 years ago.

You Sir are generous.

Joey Essex is just badly educated but he knows how to play on it.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

hes not the first or the last.. see Jade goody before him ..same mould different hair 🙂

Greybeard
    Free Member

You know… Words can have more than one meaning? Did you struggle to understand what he meant?

Of course I knew what he meant – I just don’t think using words in a way that is offensive to people with a disability is acceptable, even on STW.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its a word that means different things and none of them are offensive slang.

I agree with your point in general but not that this word has any offensive meaning – though being called dumb [ or stupid] may in itself be offensive.

Greybeard
    Free Member

not that this word has any offensive meaning

It’s the association with stupidity that’s offensive. I accept that it’s common usage but that doesn’t make it right. It leads people to expect that people who can’t speak are stupid – which not true.

Klunk
    Free Member

Its an act.

ah the clarkson defense

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m glad there are no photos of him on this thread. That’s so I can still honestly say that I wouldn’t know who he was even if I tripped over him. Indifference is bliss.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It leads people to expect that people who can’t speak are stupid

I dont think it does but I would defer to the views of someone who is dumb* on this issue as I would with chinky and **** and do as they advise.

* cannot speak

Drac

It leads people to expect that people who can’t speak are stupid – which not true.

You’ve got it arse way around, the term Deaf and Dumb is the one that shouldn’t be used.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s the association with stupidity that’s offensive.

I’ve heard people say the opposite, eg, that having a dumb waiter is a really clever idea. I can’t imagine why. Specially if their vocabulary is limited.

Rorschach
    Free Member

😀

nealglover
    Free Member

Of course I knew what he meant – I just don’t think using words in a way that is offensive to people with a disability is acceptable, even on STW.

Using the word “dumb” to describe Mutism is what may be deemed offensive and unacceptable.

The way the op used it is fine (unless the target of the accusation is offended obviously)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

He is reem…

CountZero

Greybeard – Member
    You know… Words can have more than one meaning? Did you struggle to understand what he meant?

Ah, being ‘offended on behalf of someone who isn’t actually here’ poster.
    Daily Mail reader, are we?

dannyh
    Free Member

Daily Mail………….?
    Reader………..?

Nope, doesn’t compute. Surely they just look at the pictures then carry on being bitter and paranoid without actually having to read it, don’t they?

Or do they buy it thinking ‘I wonder what outrages have been going on’, then open it and think ‘there, I knew it’?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I just think always using words in a way that is offensive to people who read the Daily Mail is acceptable, even on STW.

bones
    Free Member

gobuchul – Member 

Sorry to be OT, but have you heard the old xfm shows?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You’ve got it arse way around, the term Deaf and Dumb is the one that shouldn’t be used.

by whom?

nealglover
    Free Member

by whom?

Anyone who wanted to avoid using a long outdated term that is likely to cause offence.

chip
    Free Member

Anyone who wanted to avoid using a long outdated term that is likely to cause offence.

But surely they are offended by the term due to its association with stupid and offensive use.
    And if never had been used as such would not now be deemed offensive in its correct use, much like the word spastic,
    And the changing of the name of the spastic society.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Is Joey Essex really dumb or is it an act’ is closed to new replies.