Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is it worth taking mud tires to Whistler?
  • tall_martin

Hi,

I’m off to whistler this weekend, Whoop!

However the forecast is for rain. Is it worth buying 1/2 mudspikes and taking with me?

It was £70 for a mud tire in Morzine last year with all the rain and I suspect whistler will have similarly inflated prices.

I’m going on a DH bike and will just be riding the bike park

Suggestions?

DJTC
    Free Member

yeah take some with you if you have space. expensive and can also be hard to find at times.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The park doesn’t really get thick with mud, It’s a weird clay & rock that seems to stay hard and just gets a bit slippery. Mud tyres don’t really dig in.

Take them anyway if you have the space, bring some warm riding kit too.

You probably won’t find many for sale at this time of year, decent tyres were a bit of a pain to find a month ago, let alone now. You might get lucky and see some hanging up in the village with a locals number to call for sale.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    whatnobeer
    Free Member

Something like a Shorty might be a good idea, but hobnob is right, it’s not mud like we get in the UK.

Tyres are in the $90-$110 + tax range, so full rrp, about £60 at current exchange rates.

You probably won’t find many for sale at this time of year, decent tyres were a bit of a pain to find a month ago, let alone now.

Not sure where you were looking HobNob? Maxxis had a supply problem with Minions DHFs, but there were still shops that had them, even if a few had sold out. Although the season is starting to wind down the bike shops are still in summer mode and haven’t got the skiis/boards in yet 😉

Take them anyway if you have the space, bring some warm riding kit too.

Good idea this, it was snowing at the Garbo chair yesterday…

100mphplus
    Free Member

When I was there it pissed it down for 2 days but we still hit the (empty) park on our minions and it was fine, even the woodwork.

I wouldn’t bother with spikes, at worst shorty or magic mary tyres.

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah when I was there I rode through to closing weekend on my Clutch SX tyres with no problems on anything. Doesn’t ever seem to get to bad. Even on the non bike park trails it doesn’t get properly sloppy from my experience.

mikey74
    Free Member

I agree with the above: I use Super Tacky Minions in all conditions in Whistler.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I don’t know what forecast you’re looking at but I’m sun from Monday onwards…

Environment Canada Whistler

This is Whistler though and so a forecast of cloudy with 60% chance of showers is the default and environment Canada are not the worlds most accurate. Even in rain the flow trails can be plenty of fun for all..

DJTC
    Free Member

the whistler way is just to ride what tyres are on your bike until they are totally worn through anyway.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I don’t know what forecast you’re looking at but I’m sun from Monday onwards…

It changes most days anyway. Would be nice if the sun comes back before we go home.

the whistler way is just to ride what tyres are on your bike until they are totally worn through anyway.

This.

walleater

I’ve lived in BC for 8 years and can’t even remember seeing a mud tyre. I can only imagine how treacherous Whistler’s machined wood work, rock slabs and roots in wet conditions would be on spikes.

tall_martin

Cheers!

I’ve bought a 3c Minion for the back to replace the one that was mostly worn and I’ll stick with the super tacky highroller up front.

I was looking at the bbc site which has a totally different forecast to the one up above.

I’ll take some warm gear and hope for the best.

100mphplus
    Free Member

The only guaranteed weather thing I know is it’s fekin freezing up top when it’s ok’ish in the valley 😀
    The wind always hits you just as you crest the ridge on the Garbo lift, you then shiver to the station!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is it worth taking mud tires to Whistler?’ is closed to new replies.