Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Is it worth rebuilding an existing rim with a new hub?
  • FOG

In the JRA post I mentioned they built me some wheeels ages ago which are still great but the XT hubs are finally getting worn , bearing surfaces getting pitted. Do people reckon its worth getting a new hub built on the old rim which is a bit scratched but totally straight or will I end up paying as much as anew wheel anyway?
    If I used XT again could you use the same spokes? Are people going to tell me after 5-6 years use it is time to say goodbye?

thejesmonddingo

I had this discussion with JRA about two weeks ago,their take on it is that if the hubs are worn out,usually the rims are too,and they’re wary about doing it.
    Ian

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ive got Enve rims, had them built with 4 different sets of hubs, not sure i could afford to replace each time

im sure they will be fine and JRA want to flog you some new rims

Rorschach
    Free Member

Slightly different with A £40 alu rim to a £650 carbon one though 😕

jota180
    Free Member

I’m sure they would like to sell more rims but ……… having dealt with the guys at JRA a few times over the years, they don’t strike me as the type that will put business before sound advice.

I even had to make them take money for re-truing a wheel that I took back, not realising I’d dinged it.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

I’ve got mates who’ve built wheels for donkeys years (some for wc dh racers) and they won’t build old rims onto new hubs, even when it’s a freebie, as the general consensus it’s a waste of time and energy.

I’m inclined to agree with them from experience many years ago.

dirtyrider

ive got Enve rims, had them built with 4 different sets of hubs, not sure i could afford to replace each time

Well, i’ve not used them but they are supposed to be pretty special, and even if they weren’t…at that price most people would be seriously disinclined to buy too many new rims unless you have far too much money.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Build them with new hubs yourself, then it’s a no brainer.

Never done it before? Just follow the late Sheldon Brown’s guide like I did. I now build wheels routinely.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Is it worth rebuilding an existing rim with a new hub?’ is closed to new replies.