Viewing 6 posts - 121 through 126 (of 126 total)
  • Is it worth it (crash content)?
  • cookeaa

I am guilty of riding stuff that I don’t enjoy or at speeds I find uncomfortable just because I feel I should and I need to have a word with myself about that. What am I trying to prove? But in this case I was just having a great time on easy trails, got a bit carried away and didn’t see the rut until I hit it.

TBH It reads like bravado/ego keep pushing you beyond the limits of your ability and judgement, it’s not a snipe, we’re all guilty of that at times but I think perhaps you need to adjust your thinking on the bike, decide before the ride exactly what and where you intend to push it a bit and where to back off and then stick to those resolutions.

Also watch for the signs of tiredness/fatigue it’s surprising the affect that can have on your riding. Learn to recognise the signs of being fatigued and ease up before that causes a crash…

Ultimately a successful ride is any one where you come home uninjured not where you cracked a KOM and your tibia…

colinpm1
    Free Member

I’m more of a weekend warrior then a hard-core gnar machine. that said i do like to think of myself as competent and i know my limits. Also i’m not ashamed if i’m out in the trails/hills and i come up against something i don’t fancy i’ll roll it or walk it. sometimes at the dismay of those behind me travelling at lightspeed. But i have a strong self preservation instinct as a result of a nasty off about a year ago which shredded my shoulder (OTB at low speed resulting in dislocated ACJ and ruptured ligaments) and years working in an A&E dept x-raying and scanning the after-effects of plenty of crashes..

Despite this i still enjoy going out and challenging myself and i’d like to think that my ability has certainly improved over the last 6 months or so as a result. But occasionally the Ego-monster does rear its head and i have had a couple of close calls (sideways through some trees at Dalby; underestimating my speed going into a berm at Landegla and clearing the top). But this still hasn’t put me off riding. My Mrs does think I’m asking for trouble sometimes, but on the whole i’ve mostly come out with just some minor flesh wounds.

Ultimately i have now figured out where my talent limits are and how far i can push it before the unpleasantness starts. Its al about enjoying yourself and not trying to break yourself. The unexpected is just that and sometimes that means things get nasty.

I haven’t let the offs sap my confidence and but i just have a lot more respect for how dangerous it can get.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Have a look at the tripster atr thread and consider riding one of those instead, makes less gnarly stuff interesting.

bensales
    Free Member

smurf – Member
    I’m thinking through a series of practice sessions in the local park (that has a few small hills and “bumps” rather than jumps to play on) are needed first. I want to see good brake / low speed control, looking ahead, better balance, learning about letting the bike roll over undulations etc before we go anywhere else.

As for the younger one on the seat…an interesting question. I will give it some more thought as my perception of risk is going to be different to others.

With my kids (eldest 5, youngest 1) I’m applying the same rules that my great-grandad did for my grandad, my grandad did for my dad, and my dad did for me…

“If they’re not on their own bike, they ain’t coming”

For skills thing, find you local park with a BMX track. I did my first BMX race aged six, and I’m pretty sure the skills learnt then are what’s kept me in one piece over the years. My five year old has only just this year cracked riding his bike, but the smaller ramps etc at the local park are very useful for basic skills training and observation.

I must admit I find it interesting reading this thread, as I’ve never had any sort of accident where I’ve done more damage than a few grazes, but I’ve ridden regularly all my life (now 37) and raced BMX and XC mtb since forever. Those who are crashing a lot, what sort of background in off-road riding do you have? Are you relative newcomers to the sport, or long-term riders? I don’t mean any sort of disrespect (as I’m now going to go an break everything due to Sod’s Law), but I’m just curious as to the make-up.

Oh, and one other comment I’m reminded of from earlier in the thread where people were talking about what to look at. Never, ever, look at the thing that is of danger. You will head towards it and hit it. It’s called ‘target fixation’ and is a well-known phenomenon. Glance, acknowledge, and then look where you want to be and you’ll go there.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    spooky_b329

Last two crashes a result of not seeing a rock and rut at speed? Had your eyes checked recently? Could be mild shortsightedness which you wouldn’t notice until it was corrected.

Viewing 6 posts - 121 through 126 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Is it worth it (crash content)?’ is closed to new replies.