Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • is it worth it?
  • taka
    Free Member

ive been wanting a roadbike for ages and after watching tour de france i want one even more 🙂 now ive got a ss which i cant get on with one gear neither can my frail legs and ive only had it a few days 😮 🙁 my ss bike's spec is:

geared 18" on-one inbred powdercoated white
    avid juicy 5's
    bontrager ss cranks
    gusset ss kit
    sram chain
    2009 mavic crossrides or on-one hubs on unbranded rims
    fsa xc190 bars
    ritchy stem
    conti mountain kings 2.4
    orange seatpost and clamp
    wtb yeti saddle jobbie
    what sort of roadbike would this get for swap's ❓
    and how much do you think its worth to sell to fund a roadbike ❓

tom

rolfharris
    Free Member

You'd get about £300 for that. £350 with the cross rides. To get a decent (new) road bike you'd have to find another £300. Something like a Trek 1.2 or Giant Defy 3 would do.

How tall are you? May have a road bike that'd suit for £250.

taka
    Free Member

im 6'1"

tom

rolfharris
    Free Member

You'd be too tall for this then.

It's surprisingly hard to find 2nd hand road bikes around £500 that are actually any good I've found. Not looked recently though.

RealMan
    Free Member

I got my road bike for £100 second hand. Still works after 4000+ miles.

meehaja
    Free Member

get a tatty old one off ebay with a steel frame from the 80's. make sure its got decent wheels, everything else is replaceable quite cheap off the bay (so long as you don't chase modern kit. I got….

Peugeot performance 2000 bike with reynolds tube (just the downtube I think), straight rigida wheels and brand new tyres, 105 brake levers. £75

then added…

Dura ace rear mech £15
    Dura ace front mech £5
    Dura ace shifters £22
    new chain £12
    New grip tape £4
    New cables all round £20

Top notch for less than £200.

admitably its a bit retro (and isn't working at the moment due to my dodgy building skills), but bargains can be had if you're carefull…

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Raleigh-Dyna-Tech-600-Road-Bike_W0QQitemZ270431579225QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bikes_GL?hash=item3ef6fa6c59&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A7%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

its the right size, its cheap as chips, its in wakey (You're yorkshire aren't you?) and with a respray it could be quite nice…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Have a look in Cycling weekly Tom, the classifieds are full of decent 2nd Road bikes…

Here you go… Clicky for Linky

taka
    Free Member

might be able to perswade my mates mum to sell me one of her old ones when she used to race/win everything back in the days (brenda atkinson) shame there all built for here geometry 😥 worth a look though

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘is it worth it?’ is closed to new replies.