Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Is it worth going for 10 speed?
  • rhid

My current 9speed drive chain is beginning to look worn out and will need replacing soon. So do I replace with another 9sp or go for 10sp? I realize 10sp is where things are heading but I am not convinced 10sp is of a particular benefit to me as I run a 2 x 9 set up and use the granny ring a bit for those super steep climbs.

I cannot see that 1 x 10 set up will give the the lowest gears I need (currently run 22-32 and 11-32 cassette). However I may be wrong! Has anyone switched and found that the 1 x 10 (say 32 + 11-36) enough to get them up those steep climbs?

WOuld I be better off saving my pennies and going for the new 11 sp stuff when it eventually becomes affordable. With that I can see that a 1 x 11 set up could work for me!

Any one faced the same problems and found a good answer?

br
    Free Member

A chain is about £15, just buy one,

sprocker
    Free Member

just gone 2 x 10, as I needed a new cassette and having the clutch rear mech means I have ditched the stinger. Not sure about the change in gearing being needed that much but the drive train is virtually silent now and for me that is worth it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jeffus
    Free Member

I went to 10 speed but found only needed a 1 x 10 for 99% of my riding 36 upfront and a 36-11 out back simple system but you do need a chain device and the new plus systems dont work without one, chain still drops.

rhid

Good answer B R if it was only that simple. It should read Drive train.

Simon

Dunno. On my hardtail I’ve just gone 1×10, first ride on it tonight, so I’ll report back tomorrow.
    Was previously using 2×9 with 24/36 rings and 11-34 cassette. 10 speed is 32t ring and 12-36 csssette.
    Doing it as an experiment as I want to see what all the fuss is about. Parts were mainly second hand so no great disaster if doesn’t work for me.

P20

I’ve changed to 2×10 because my drivetrain was knackered. I wanted the clutch rear mech so decided to change. The rear mech is brilliant

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

WOuld I be better off saving my pennies and going for the new 11 sp stuff when it eventually becomes affordable. With that I can see that a 1 x 11 set up could work for me!

Except for XX1 it doesn’t exist so I’d not hold your breath, XX was arround a few years before everything else went 10s and that was a faily simple step. With the added problem that SRAM have probably patented all the good ideas like the mech that allows it to work without ghost shifting.

Your current lowest gear is about(22/32) 17.8″
    The lowest on 10s (32t to 11-36) is 23.1″
    The equivelant is about 22/29 on your current setup, or 1.5 less gears (assuimng the next down is 30t and the next is 28t), so you only really lose 1 gear and a a bit. I find 32-36 to be about as slow as I can be bothered pedaling, it’s still quicker than walking, but only just.

Depends on your mech and shifter through, I upgraded when my mech got bent as the mechs were the same price and I needed chain/cassette anyway so the only cost was a £25 shifter.

tk46hal
    Free Member

As br said above unless you find out that you need rings and a cassette as well then it could be worth it especially now the sales are coming up on components. I did that last year and got some really good deals on a rear mech and a shifter etc. I now 1 x 10 on one of my 29er’s.

skogsmulle101
    Free Member

I´ll put 10sp (1×10 – 36t ahead and 11-36 on my Piglet tonight), If it really steep uphill i can walk no worries :D, It is a trailbike but i have no problem walking the worst parts. I ride 1×9 now so for me it will be better for the trainbike,
    I tell you later the difference.

Maybe i´ll geta t 34t front later

ANyone have a good tip on a BB mounted Chaindevice?

t_i_m
    Free Member

No. The only major difference is that you cannot use Powerlinks to take chain on and off for cleaning.

Simon

I’ve put a Superstar one on mine, but I’ve heard mixed views on it. I’m using sn un-ramped ring so it should be ok.

nashwaymule
    Free Member

I switched to 2 x 10 last winter on a 29er hard tail, TBH I am very doubtful it is any better than 9 gears. The gears to me seem far less tolerant to mud than when it was 2 x 9. It skips more and suffers really badly with leaves and mud particularly in the low gears. Spread of gears it is very hard to notice any difference from a 9 speed.
    If I hadn’t had to build a new drive train / and hadn’t been curious I wouldn’t have bothered. Knowing what I know now I would have stuck with a 9 speed.
    What is good though is a clutched rear mech that does work well and is a very worthwhile investment.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

32 11×36 is what I use for guiding. Gets me up 1,000m – 1,500m days in the mountains no problems. Not looking back to a 2 x 9 any day of the week as I’m now of the opinion that a slightly lower cadence climbing style is better; and using a chain device means no more dropped chains..

Have a KMC chain and power link, come off and on no probs. I believe the SRAM ones don’t come off tho’. No problems with snapped chains (jinxed myself there no doubt)

Using a superstar plasma device. Dropped the chain once in 9 months of riding (in a crash). So cheap compared to the others on the market and you can get spare parts easily. Comes with a BB adapter.

mattjg
    Free Member

I have both (3×9 and 2×10 and a recent 1×9).

I wouldn’t bother going to 10 for the sake of it, only if you are doing a full upgrade anyway.

Also my first 2 SRAM 10 speed chains broke 3 times each.

skogsmulle101
    Free Member

11-36 10spd is perfect for me. Id ridden i t some now wintertime. Great when climbing.

I have 36t fron Shimano Zee 170mm

Northwind

1×10 is definitely worth it IMO, 2×10 a bit less so, the clutch mechs are still worth it for a hardworking bike though. (but with 2 rings, you’re more likely to have a bottom chainguide already anyway)

So I’m going 9x10x2 speed 😉 my old SRAM 9-speed setup with a 10-speed Shimano mech on the end. I’d not be putting a 11-36 on the dual ring bikes anyway so the only advantage of 10 speed is the clutch, this way I get that at a fraction of the price, with a little faffing.

qtip

So I’m going 9x10x2 speed my old SRAM 9-speed setup with a 10-speed Shimano mech on the end. I’d not be putting a 11-36 on the dual ring bikes anyway so the only advantage of 10 speed is the clutch, this way I get that at a fraction of the price, with a little faffing.

Surely that won’t work!

njee20
    Free Member

Except for XX1 it doesn’t exist so I’d not hold your breath, XX was arround a few years before everything else went 10s and that was a faily simple step. With the added problem that SRAM have probably patented all the good ideas like the mech that allows it to work without ghost shifting.

XX only preceded 10 speed X.0/X.9 by one year. The issue with a cheap XX1 will be making a 10-42 cassette that doesn’t either cost £300 or weigh more than the wheel. Reckon there’ll be some trickle down though.

IMO if you’re happy with 2×9, and don’t think 1×10 is for you then stick with 9.

CaptainSlow

If you need front rings, I’d go for either 22-34 or more likely 22-36, with 11-34 on the rear. that’d keep your low gear for tired legs and give you more at the other end.

I dont see the benefit in changing to 10 speed for me but for all I know you’re an olympic athlete where 1/zillionth of a second counts. 🙂

It’d also be way cheaper to stay on 9 speed. You could use what you save on lots of beer or other naughty things (just in case you are not an olympic athlete you understand)

perthmtb
    Free Member

I run a 2×9 SLX and a 2×10 XT. I wouldn’t have bothered going for the 10sp except its what the new bike came with. In fact I was that close to ‘downgrading’ it to 2×9 as I had enough spare bits lying around and wanted to standardise across the two bikes.

But… contrary to others experiences above, I was really quite impressed with the 10sp stuff! Difficult to explain, but it just seems to work better compared to my 9sp.

Think the fact that Shimano have added all their latest tech to the 10sp has something to do with it. Stuff like the I-spec shifters, different pull ratio, directional chain, clutch mechs, multi-release shifter etc. Each on their own is just a small change, but when added together the whole drivetrain just works so perfectly its a pleasure to use.

I’m also noticing the 9sp stuff is starting to disappear already, and can be more expensive than the equivalent 10sp – at least at my favourite online discount stores it is.

Funny, if you look back in my posting history I was a die hard 9sp fan, and advising people not to bother upgrading to 10sp. But now I’ve tried it I’m looking for an excuse to upgrade my remaining 9sp bike 🙂

messiah
    Free Member

Since your currently running a 9spd 11-32 cassette there are a few things to consider. If you went 1×9 with what you have you would lose the bottom three granny gears, which could feel like a lot. But if you went 1×9 with an 11-34 (or 1×10 with an 11-36) you would lose only the bottom two granny gears which would feel like a lot less.

If your seriously thinking of giving 1×9/10 a go then try a ride without using the bottom two gears before your drivetrain dies… you might be surprised at what you can do.

It’s always worth upgrading… how else are bike shops going to remain and the workers feed their families… think of the children 😉

PhilAmon
    Free Member

Captain Slow, I like your idea of 11-34 cassette with 22-34 chainrings, but I’ve been looking for a ramped 34t chainring and can’t find one…? any ideas?

ryreed
    Free Member

I recently replace my entire 2×9 drivetrain…with another 2×9 drivetrain, including a rear mech. I’m too weak and Scotland to hilly to go 1×10 and other than that I think the greater tolerances in 9 speed makes more sense for me. It would also mean I’d have to have bought new shifters, but given the cost of the other stuff that wasn’t the deciding factor.

It will depend largely on your ability, but I was in your position and stuck with 2×9 as I had the same concerns as you about 1×10.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

t_i_m – Member

No. The only major difference is that you cannot use Powerlinks to take chain on and off for cleaning.

Oh but yes you can

martymac

i wouldnt upgrade just for the sake of it, but my experience has been the same as perthmtb above, the 10 speed stuff just seems to work a bit better, and (warning, may be my imagination) it seems to wear better too.
    2011 10 speed slx/xt here, non clutch mechs, running on 2 bikes.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I’m about to go 10 on the rear as I need to change cassette and chain so throwing in a mech and shifter isnt much more, be still running a triple 22-32-44 up front and to be different a road cassette on the back.

cumbrianmonkey
    Free Member

I ride 1×9 with a 34 front and a 12-36 cassette. The cassette is exactly the same as a 11-36 10spd one but obviously without the smallest cog. If I’m spinning out downhill then I’m on a fire road and if I’m descending on a fireroad then I should have a word with myself and just go home. If I could coordinate shifter,mech and cassette all wearing out at the same time then I would go to 1×10 but until that happens I reckon it’s all working fine for me 🙂

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

Yeah it’s worth it but only if your current set up is wearing out. Little review on here… 10 speed review

GEDA
    Free Member

In the old days and I am sure it applies now that it was better to use the middle front ring with the middle rear cogs, the little front with the big cogs at the back and the big ring at the front with the small cogs at the back. The main reason was to avoid undue stress and wear on the drive train. Now somehow 1*10 avoids all that, you loose the front mech, to replace it with a chain guide that very much looks like a front mech.

Anyway I have a 9 speed and a 10 speed setup. I went 10 speed as I liked the idea of the clutch rear much. It does what it is designed to do very well BUT at a cost! Shifting is loads stiffer and much more crunchy, the type of crunch you get when your chain is going to snap. On the 9 speed setup I have just used the tensioning screw on the derailure to much the same effect.

I much prefer the 9 speed setup. Shifting is so much smoother and power links that are easy to join/rejoin are a big big plus. Pity marketing wins out over what people need. Funny thing is that before 10 speed I am sure most people were getting rid of gears from there mountain bikes.

composite
    Free Member

I’ve not read any of the other posts or past the second sentence of the OP’s post.

Stick with 9 speed. Everything component is cheaper and you won’t notice the difference. I went with 10 speed and every time I have to replace bits I wish I hadn’t when I see the prices of the 9 speed stuff.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

composite – Member

Stick with 9 speed. Everything component is cheaper and you won’t notice the difference. I went with 10 speed and every time I have to replace bits I wish I hadn’t when I see the prices of the 9 speed stuff.

Not strictly true, if you compare SLX and above quality 9 and 10 speed are the same price and in some cases the 9 speed is more expensive.

julians
    Free Member

IMO 10 speed is worth it if you have a single ring up front, but if you run a double or triple theres no point.

I recently swapped my 2 x 9 drivetrain to a 2 x 10 , and basically the only benefit I get from it is the shadow plus rear derail, other than that I cant really notice any difference.

boxfish
    Free Member

34t chainring, 11-36 cassette, Shadow+ mech with a top chain guide here. Means I can ride almost everything, no dropped chain and absolutely no chain suck. Which is nice.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Is it worth going for 10 speed?’ is closed to new replies.