Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Is it worth buying second hand dropper posts?
  • darrenspink
    Free Member

Looking for a reverb or other 30.9 dropper and as far as I can see theres only a 30-50 difference is new and old. So is it worth me getting a second hand one to save some, or am I asking for troubles?

Tell me your second hand nightmare or w’in’ stories please.

weeksy

KSi900, brilliant. Second hand for £90. Bargain.

kayak23

Personally I’d go with new so you get the warranty innit.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Innit

andysredmini
    Free Member

I looked at a second hand but the prices have been so close to what you can get a new one with a 2 year warranty for I decided to go for new.
    I have had no trouble with the one I have used for the last 2 years but decided I wouldn’t go second hand even if relatively cheap.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member
    Northwind

I wouldn’t buy a used Reverb, they’re cheap to buy and expensive to fix.

But I’d be happy buying a used KS, Jungle’s backup has been ace for me but also the parts and service is better value, I had to have a chunk of internals replaced in an i950 and it was still only around £70 inc postage. And it is IMO a better product than my Reverb, in general.

LoCo
    Free Member

Buy a new one (reverb) as they’re going almost the same price s/h as new from online guys when on deals, which is why we only servcie them 🙁

Simon

No way would I buy a used Reverb (unless I knew the seller well and it was VERY cheap).

If budget is tight and it needs to be 2nd hand only choice is a Gravity Dropper, looks are agricultural and operation not as slick as a Reverb but very little to go wrong and if it does GD customer service is very good.

Junkyard
    Free Member

as above they are about £30 cheaper with no guarantee
    I am mazed they sell at that price tbh utterly amazed tbh It is madness.
    i would not part with more than £80 for a SH reverb personally [ hence i dont own one] as it will need a service [ or have passed the point it should have been done]

Gravity dropper is mechanical so I would but one of those Second hand

darrenspink
    Free Member

Thanks all, new one it is then..might look at KS.

ceepers

I bought a used reverb in the summer for £125. It worked but very slowly. Spent £15 on a bleed kit and now it’s as good as the new one I have on my other bike

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I bought a 2nd hand TMARS not really much to go wrong though.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I bought a used Specialized Command Post – 1st generation but with the updated seal collar – for £85 I think it was. 15mins to strip and regrease and it’s been perfect. Often overlooked, but they’re mechanical, cable operated, 3-position, and just work.

prawny

If money is tight (like it is for me) I’d go for a KS eTen over a 2nd hand reverb. £125 new, with warranty and only a cable to actuate it so less chance of it needing crash repairs.

Mine is only a couple of months old but it’s been faultless so far.

tomaso
    Free Member

I bought a secondhand Reverb and regretted it! Yes I saved money intially but it was beyond saving when it was opened up for servicing.

The two new ones I’ve bought on deals @£150 both times from Merlin and recently Alltricks were loads better and have a chance of being servicable.

If you’ve not got a bleed kit it is worth buying a proper one that comes with all the bits and bobs than an OEM one that comes with nothing.

binners

How about an X-Fusion Hilo. Good price on wiggle at the moment. They seem a lot less temperamental than reverbs. Must be the air instead of hydraulics. I’ve had one on for 18 months and its been faultless. I’ve had to bang another couple of PSI in it at one point, but thats it

sambob
    Free Member

I’ve got a KS i900 that I bought for £75 in January of 2013, I’ve not serviced it and ridden it in some very unpleasant conditions and it still works fine 🙂 Never even had to put air in it,.

cookeaa

How about an X-Fusion Hilo. Good price on wiggle at the moment. They seem a lot less temperamental than reverbs. Must be the air instead of hydraulics. I’ve had one on for 18 months and its been faultless. I’ve had to bang another couple of PSI in it at one point, but thats it

It is hydraulic, open the thing up and you’ll find its full of oil.
    The air simply adds back pressure so it will rebound.

But yeah, cable actuated over hydraulic, and GD makes the most sense second hand as it’s the most easily maintained or repaired. IMO

Used prices are still pretty silly for droppers mostly because they are still a sought after, blingy item…

darrenspink
    Free Member

Well got a reverb for 170ish with paypal and quidco cashback from Rutland. Includes a bleed kit and enduro collar 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Is it worth buying second hand dropper posts?’ is closed to new replies.