Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Is it weird…
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

To covet two entirely different types of bike at the same time?

I really want a new road bike. Mine is a 1985 Raleigh.

And I really really want a DH bike. I don’t have one and it wouldn’t get loads of use but after going to Antur last weekend I feel i need one in my life!

Am I being weird or is this totally normal?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Not at all.
    I wouldnt mind a road bike, or a DH bike, or a nice zingy HT, or a med travel FS.
    I cant afford any of them though. *cries*

patriotpro
    Free Member

As ever, you are being weird.

johnellison
    Free Member

Totally normal. Remember, the correct number of bikes to covet/own is n+1, where n=number of bikes already covetted/owned.

honourablegeorge

johnellison – Member
    Totally normal. Remember, the correct number of bikes to covet/own is n+1, where n=number of bikes already covetted/owned.

The seens to be a new concept, more of a n+w+1 scenario, with n being bikes you already have, w being the bikes you want, and 1 more for good measure. Which I think we can all get behind.

core

I’ve got a flat bar road bike, a 26″ alu hardtail, and just building a 26″ ss inbred hack, but am always looking at rigid steel 29ers, and quite fancy a full susser too…..

ndthornton
    Free Member

So what about when n=w ?
    You have continued buying bikes until bikes-you-want = bikes-you-have…
    …but you still need 1 more!

Is then when you buy a fat bike to balance the equation

lemonysam
    Free Member

Is then when you buy a fat bike to balance the equation

A fat bike is kind of the slippers and cardigan of the cycling world. An admission that you’ve given up on life and are really just waiting for incontinence and senility to rob you of the little dignity you have left.

I_Ache
    Free Member

patriot, maybe if you had stepped up and rode the big boy trails you would understand the want of a DH bike. 😉

kimbers

I like my DH bike, but Im glad its all s/h bits (apart from controls/drivetrain) as I dont use it enough to justify a huge outlay

the road bike thing is freakish though

Northwind

Not weird at all. Though, with the DH bike have you considered hire? Makes a lot of sense for the occasional uplifter, it takes a lot of hires before it becomes the more expensive option and that’s even forgetting wear and tear.

hopkinsgm

yes, it’s weird. everyone knows the formula for bikes is n+1. you seem to have got a bit confused, and are using n+2

I_Ache
    Free Member

Oh I very much doubt I would get a new DH bike, it seems a bit excessive for occasional use. I have been looking at all sorts on ebay from old Kona Stabs to Norco A Lines to Giant Glorys. I would love to splash some money on a Specialized Status but I just can’t at the moment.

I had thought about rental but other than the likes of Bike Park Wales that also do rental bikes what are my options?

Its not n+2 as I already have a road bike and that will go with an upgrade so it is still n+1 but then I will have everything that I will ever want.

Road biking is freakish yes kimbers but I have a dodgy ankle so at least I can get out on the road when it is too bad to MTB on.

lucien

Same applies to Wag’s but you can only ride one at a time

passtherizla
    Free Member

I wouldn’t mind a road bike for bimbling about on, I just really want a DH bike… don’t want to brake the rocket again so as posted in another thread today currently looking for a bike to snap up when (fingers crossed) I get a bonus this year.

I_Ache
    Free Member

You should buy a shoddy old road bike Andy, it’s quite good fun in a group.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Is it weird…’ is closed to new replies.