Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Is it totally impossible for the same rider to win the 3 grand tours in one season
  • RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I remember a few years ago Pantani winning the Giro and the Tdf and I was kind of hoping he’d have a crack at the Vuelta but he didn’t . I know he was discredited but is it possible for a rider to recover enough between tours or is it something that we will never see .

simondbarnes

They would need some properly good drugs to even consider trying.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Not even possible with a massively strong team ?

ton

stephen roche managed the triple crown in 87. pretty damn close.

greentricky
    Free Member

Dave Brailsford was interviewed at the end of the Giro last week and asked that question and said he believes it is doable, would need the stars to align, the right courses, perfect health, maybe some bad luck for rivals etc. but he does think it can be done and does think he will see it done which surprised me, as I was of the opinion its a no as too demanding

scaredypants

not unless their main rivals all tried as well (or else some rivals crash out or get ill)

fifeandy
    Free Member

Not a chance.

nicko74

Even winning two of them seems a challenge, though – even with Sky’s team, it just doesn’t seem to be quite within reach. You’d perhaps need to have two teams of domestiques (think injury, tiredness, plus cadence of training), and they’d have to be pretty strong to protect the principal.

I guess if you had a year where, say, Contador broke a leg, Nibali crashed and had a niggling injury, Quintana got flu or something, then perhaps Sky could do it?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Dumoulin might have something to say about that .

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ramsey Neil – Member

and if there is another year like the UK start and cobbles race where the main field was decimated then he might have a shot at 2, that then leaves Spain and if the main guys are still in plaster maybe if he doesn’t burn out.
    The Tour will be harder than the Giro with the big teams bringing their A List out, if you race a hard 3 weeks chasing that what do you have left for spain?

Spin
    Free Member

stephen roche managed the triple crown in 87. pretty damn close.

Winning a 3 week tour is a bit different from winning a one day race, even if it is the worlds.

Never say never but I think it’s too big an ask. In the third one (and even the second) the fatigued contender will be up against fresh riders who’ve prepared specifically for that one race.

If it wasn’t done in the era of Merckx or Hinault I don’t think it will be done now when there seem to be many more riders in with a chance in the tours.

Spin
    Free Member

He’s good but he’s a country mile off being that good.

EPO era Bertie was probably the modern rider with the best chance!

leebaxter
    Free Member

I think quintana was attemting it this year. But (i think) he went into the giro under trained, misjudged his opponents. He is probably the only rider capable of it. But as said iyt would need luck, suitable courses, etc

maccruiskeen

not unless their main rivals all tried as well

Thats the thing really, even if all the strongest competitors inadvertently agreed to all see 3 wins as their season target and therefore find themselves competing like for like on more or less the same strategy- that would just leave the door open in each tour for for someone focusing all their effort on one tour win to come out of the shadows – those big players would finish the year having won nothing.

oldracer
    Free Member

Yes, but as said….you’d need the stars to line up, so many variables!

avdave2

Everything is impossible until someone goes and does it.

Impossible no, highly improbable yes

lunge

Its tough enough riding all 3, let alone winning them. Adam Hansen seems to get a lot of plaudits just for riding them all and he’s not exactly troubling GC.

chakaping
    Free Member

Obviously not totally impossible, but highly unlikely considering that even if the big guns were all riding all three – they’d be peaking at different times and the courses would favour different riders.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Is it totally impossible for the same rider to win the 3 grand tours in one season’ is closed to new replies.