• This topic has 28 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jonb.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • is it time to put the summer kit away?
  • taka
    Free Member

been horrible weather only had a week or so of good warm weather feels like time to bring out the baselayers and wolly hats oh and the lights just been p1ssing it down for the last few days here and it would choose to do that when mi dads moving houses 🙂

what's your winter cycling kit consist of?

Kuco

Winter kits basically same as summer kit now days 😉

sheldona
    Free Member

You got your summer kit out?? LOL

stumpyjon

From what I remember the trails around Rossendale were actually drier during the winter (and or frozen). I'm now thinking Autumn starts in late July.

uplink
    Free Member

August hasn't been too bad
    Average Rainfall,temp & sunshine I believe

July was a bit damp

As for the OP
    I don't have specific summer kit, I just wear whatever suits the weather that particular day

Smee
    Free Member

There is no summer, no autumn and no spring, just the 1st of july and winter.

rOcKeTdOg

i've just put a larsen TT on the back of the fuel,skidtastic in the gloop

Junkyard
    Free Member

I must confess to wearing my Lake winter boots for the ride in today and my Gortex jacket but I did still wear shorts so not quite yet but very nearly.
    When the Ron hills come out it is Winter till then it is Summer

radoggair
    Free Member

August hasn't been too bad
    Average Rainfall,temp & sunshine I believe

Part from this being the wettest August in 10 years with some places having over 4x the amount of rainfall compared to average.

Put bluntly………… its been horrific

oddjob
    Free Member

Monday evening I wore 3/4 bottoms and long sleves. I think that marked the end of "summer" riding for me 🙁

epicsteve
    Free Member

i've just put a larsen TT on the back of the fuel,skidtastic in the gloop

I've got those on the Epic and have found them ok in the mud – although compared to the Ralphs on one of the other bikes I suppose anything would seem good.

cheers_drive

If you're in the West or North it was a bad summer – Very wet July with a unsettled August.
    Bristol has felt Autumnal for the last month where as my parents in Norfolk have been complaining that the garden is dying as there has been no rain.

IMO this year has been much better than the last too because of the great winter, sping and early summer we've had. The supposed 'summer' has been awful again.

uplink
    Free Member

Put bluntly………… its been horrific

Well I can only go on what the weather's like where I am [NE England]

& the lovely girl on the telly the other night went through the data & it was average for August

If others had poorer conditions – hard luck

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

wet suit , boots and a snorkel round here .

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

When the Ron hills come out

No, please, no. Anything but Ron Hills!

BoardinBob

I'm just back to work following 15 days off. It rained on every single day and I think the sun only appeared about twice 😐

Out for a ride last night and it was dark, wet and horrendously muddy.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

i've started to wear arm warmers and gilet most of the time i'm out riding now, and have thought about getting my longer shorts out too. am commuting in a base layer now (or full waterproofs, joy). what's really depressing is how dark it is at night – and i've yet to do any dry dusty night rides. bah. will be time to dig out the commuting lights soon too…don't like having to do that!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I had lights on the commuter this morning, although that was quite early (6:30 or so).

kiwijohn

Lovely spring day in Tassie, after the wettest winter in 50 years.

barca
    Free Member

I'm reassured that I'm not the only person on this thread who experienced horror at the mention of Ron Hills 😯

pcb
    Free Member

Hmmm, yes it is.

RealMan
    Free Member

September will be good.

Please God.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ron Hills rock you fashionista's cheap and relatively water repellant.
    Do Rapha not sell them yet 😉

sharki
    Free Member

long sleeve top now, other than that nothing will change till it gets colder, so around october time the longs will break out and winter booties no doubt.

Only reason i got soaked yesterday was wading through a mile of waist high bracken, other than that have had mostly dryish rides..

enduro-aid
    Free Member

Glasgow and the surrounding area (where i live) had more than double the average rain fall in aug that is normally the case avg – 180ml total for aug 380ml

and sept aint looking good either

mate in work started a marking the diary up at the first really wet spell at the start of Aug we have now gone 28 days solid where it has rained at least once a day

its bloody depressing

Aristotle
    Free Member

We kid ourselves every year that the summer will be endlessly warm and sunny and in the NE Atlantic it just isn't. Autumn has often been dry enough in recent years to allow us to keep the faith though.

We have had a small number of nice days this year, but few without rain/cloud/humidity and we've only eaten outside about 5 times this year (jumpers and wood burners required after 8pm!). Of late, it has been very poor.

The other day my wife said "ah, but remember that 2006 was hot". Thinking about it, we realised that it actually was hot and dry -for about 2 weeks in July and then wet for the remainder…

2003 was probably the last summer with sustained decent weather and before that it was probably 1995!

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

not been to bad down here in the south east but last week or so has been wet did spot the jacket in the wardrobe the other day and thought it was getting close to the time that i need to get it out 😥

ron hills allways get used in the winter cheap and they work after a fashion 😯

uplink
    Free Member

Met office summary of August

August 2009

Mean temperatures ranged from close to the 1971-2000 normal in western England, Wales and Northern Ireland to around 1.0 °C above normal in many eastern areas. Rainfall was above normal for the UK as a whole (133%) but very variable. It was very wet in parts of western Scotland, Northern Ireland and Cumbria, with many areas recording over twice the normal August rainfall. Dumfries and Galloway experienced its wettest August on record. Conversely it was dry over much of Wales, the west Midlands, southern England and, especially, East Anglia with some places receiving less than half the normal amount. Sunshine totals were close to or below normal across much of the UK, eastern areas faring best with around 110% of normal.

A maximum temperature of 30.3 °C was recorded at Gravesend (Kent) on the 19th. A minimum temperature of 3.2 °C was recorded at Cromdale near Grantown-on-Spey (Highland) on the 3rd. Eskdalemuir (Dumfries and Galloway) recorded 78.0 mm of rainfall in the twenty-four hours ending at 0900 on the 20th.

jonb
    Free Member

It's wet but it's warm and wet so most of the thermals aren't needed, just the water proofs. Nights are drawaing in, won't be long before I'm starting my nightrides with the lights on.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘is it time to put the summer kit away?’ is closed to new replies.