Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Is it the done thing to tell your boss you're in the wrong job?
  • ShoePolice
    Free Member

If you really don’t like it, with a view to moving elsewhere in the company but don’t know what to do but maybe he’d offer help. Probably asking for shite review and booting out at next opportunity. But does that matter? Prolly not.

kevj
    Free Member

I would say how you approach this will have the biggest +/- effect on how your boss will respond.
    Try to be enthusiastic about what you want to do and tell them you are prepared to work hard to get there. The other way is just a faster route to the door.

donsimon
    Free Member

Is your boss a good boss who wants you to progress and develop? Or is your boss the typical insecure twerp that gets these positions?
    How much do you trust your boss?

mrmo
    Free Member

how long have you been in the job, is it just a change of scene you need? if you have knowledge it might sense to shift you sideways.

DT78
    Free Member

If it will save them face then yes

GJP
    Free Member

Two team members have recently approached my manager (or in truth my manager’s manager) with the same predicament. They went about in different ways, the first one tactfully explaining what was missing for them in their current role, the second one just more of a rant.

The outcome was pretty much the same, both got their wishes and were allowed to move on without any apparent prejudice. Although without doubt the first won the professional respect stakes.

But, all in all I think it depends very much in the organisational culture and your direct management team. As a manager i would be more helpful to the individual who appears calm and has carefully thought through what is missing and what they are looking far in their next move.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Phrase it in such a manner that indicates you’d like to see your future career in another area of the company and not the “I hate working in this area” way. If he’s any good, and remind him he could benefit the company/himself that he’s identified that you could be of greater potential in the area you want to be working in, then he’ll assist you in it.

highclimber
    Free Member

i’ve often wanted to tell my bosses they were in the wrong job!

brooess
    Free Member

Depends how political they are too.
    Do you really trust them to do the right thing?
    Insecure bosses (most of them) can take this personally even if you’re being honest
    Tread carefully and as above, be positive
    Good luck

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Is it the done thing to tell your boss you're in the wrong job?’ is closed to new replies.