Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Is it the case that the market is so saturated its cheaper just to buy new
  • philxx1975
    Free Member

After the Annoying classifieds add thread

It strikes me the prices online are just as cheap to buy new as nearly new or what people think things are worth.

Nothing seems to shift in the classifieds second hand xt rear mech for 25 quid

32.50 at merlin

Chew
    Free Member

Second hand = half of new price

You’re asking too much

philxx1975
    Free Member

I ain’t selling but was more observing

deadkenny
    Free Member

They’re worth what people are prepared to pay for, and smaller/cheaper parts are things people are prepared to pay new for.

Indeed, why buy a second hand mech that may have issues, when you can get a new one for a few quid more and that will have warranty on it, fast shipped and no faffing with a dodgy or lazy seller. Lower the price though and someone might be prepared to go with the risk/hassle.

Something more expensive though and you’ll get people prepared to take second hand to get a bargain or to actually be affordable to them.

Then you get to bikes. Second hand, last years models, ex-demo – every time for me. Like cars, new just depreciates massively once it’s been ridden.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Some people have unrealistic views on what second hand is worth. And some things seem to sell for more than they are worth.

I’m trying to get some cheap Thule roof bars (969’s if anyone has some going). I’ve seen them listed for £70 + £10p&p on ebay second hand. Why?? I can buy them new for £69.99 in Halfords!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

your also taking a risk as a buyer on second hand

second hand xt rear mech for 25 quid

just how worn? If I buy new…. Besides if you change rear mech you also need to change chain and maybe then rings or it will slip. Who knows, buy cheap buy twice. I’d buy new parts like that, safer

mattbee

I rarely buy on the classifieds because it is pretty much always possible to buy new for not much more and get a warranty.
    I’ll only buy odd things, or the stuff that is actually well priced. In fact I’ve often seen stuff I’d thought about buying sell really quickly to someone else but the same old overpriced stuff relished again and again and again so it seems that many buyers have the same idea as me about the correct level of the market.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Depends wat is being sold and of coirse what price. Rear mech’s don’t last forever plus the used = half new price has to referemce lowest online cost. The number of daft ads I see quoting RRP, who pays that ? Even the LBS will give 10% off.

alanl
    Free Member

Classic on a Kayak forum today – knife, as new, £12.50 inc. post.
    Brand new from the shop they are £12.50.
    Obviously you’ve got to pay postage on top if buying online, but why buy privately when it’d be £2 more for a product with guarantee etc.

ampthill

I do wonder about used prices and whether people buy

I’ve used cameras on ebay for more than I can by them new from a proper Uk retailer. Do they sell? It’s weird to me

Sui
    Free Member

Woodlikesbeer I’ve got some 969s, they are in classifieds but been ages, so will accept a reasonable offer!

mattsccm
    Free Member

I reckon that ebay has turned many buyers into impulse buyers who don’t think about new prices. That’s meant the used prices have been pushed up and consequently sellers want those high prices through the classifieds.
    I’ll buy used kit but only if its cheap. I regard 25% of new or thereabouts as worth while. Eg just bought a rear mech for 7 quid. I am happy with any risk at that price.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

quick scroll through my eBay purchases this year, stand outs being

Fabric ALM Ultimate, used once – £95 – £225 RRP?
    XTR M9000 34t Single Ring Chainset + BB – £103
    ENVE 26″ DH Rim – £102
    ENVE SES 3.4 Clincher Front Wheel, DT240 Hub – said damaged, bought for the hub, – £66.99 – I’ve inspected it, cannot find anything wrong and down a few hundred km on it
    Look Keo Carbon Blade 2 Ti Pedals – New – £64.95
    One-Up 32t Ring & RAD Cage – New – £20

which makes me think the £££ new gear doesn’t hold its value, but the mid/low range can command more or less retail or above when used meaning the market is both uneducated at the low end, and of small volume at the high end

used to look at the classified daily, cannot remember the last time i did now

steveoath
    Free Member

Suppose it depends on what you’re after as well. I was looking for ages for a DMR frame and spotted one on here with forks, headset and stem for a price is willing to spend. The fact that the seller was very helpful, polite and prompt to reply sealed it. Seller was Kayla1 fwiw.

bigblackshed

Besides if you change rear mech you also need to change chain and maybe then rings or it will slip.

Nope. Not in the slightest.

I’ve been looking for some Renthal Fat Bars. £52 on most online retailers. I’m not convinced the shape will suit me, but Id like to try some. Beat to shit second hand ones are going for mid £40 ish. But if I bought new ones the second hand going price is so close to the new price that I’ll not lose much if the shape doesn’t suit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Is it the case that the market is so saturated its cheaper just to buy new’ is closed to new replies.