Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Is it smug and arrogant…
  • Smee
    Free Member

… to do extra wee climbs, go back down to meet folk then ride back up with them, ride extra wee loops etc, when waiting on folk out on a group ride?

One of my riding aquaintances claims that this is so. Funnily enough I disagree on the basis that I want to keep warm and get as much riding in as possible.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Not at all. Alternatively, stop and eat cake (my preferred option).

stevomcd
    Free Member

It depends if you’re smug and arrogant about it or not. I have ridden with people who did this and loved to let you know they were doing it.

nickc

Depends. If it’s supposed to be a nice social group ride, then yeah, going off on your own is probably not going to endear you to any one.

But then you know this

trailmonkey

Please make it stop

druidh
    Free Member

Nope – best to keep moving, otherwise you get cold and that’s bad for your muscles.

MrNutt
    Free Member

how can they see you doing that, what with all that d…..

crikey
    Free Member

Hmmm. Tricky one, and I am taking the question seriously.

I think if you go out with others there is a very definite point at which you can be seen to take the piss.

If you want extra riding, I reckon you should go out by yourself, or go out early then meet up, or ride after they have gone.

If you are the fittest, it can be soul destroying having to wait around, but it’s far, far worse to have the fit guy ride to the top then come back down and ride up with you while you are breathing out of your arse.

Basically, if you want training, ride alone or with a fit mate, and if you ride with others of lesser ability, you have to suck it up and ride at their pace.

If I’m in that situation, I would make sure I was last, I would make sure that the last guy was ok, and that I stayed back far enough to let him ride at his own pace.

On the road, I would stay back too, but try to ride up the climbs in a silly big gear so that I got training, but never left anyone behind.

jam-bo

maybe find some faster people to ride with…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Dunno, but it is smug and arrogant to overtake people on steep climbs, on a singlespeed, then once at the top, be waiting for them whilst puffing on a ciggie, asking ‘what took you’?

I’d never do owt like that, of course.

mboy
    Free Member

Is it smug and arrogant to ride uphill and back down a few times cos you’re quicker than some of your riding buddies? No, not in my opinion.

Is it smug and arrogant to be posting a thread on an internet forum about doing it? TOTALLY YOU SMUG ARROGANT ****T!

I know people that are so slow even I can ride up a hill and half way down to meet them, and I know people that are so fast that they could ride up a hill and down it twice in the time that I could get up it! SO WHAT!?!? It doesn’t matter how fast you are, and we don’t care!

Smee
    Free Member

jam bo – I ride several groups of people of hugely different abilities. In the slower group I am called smug and arrogant – people that know me would know that this is not true. In the faster groups I dont have a problem with folk doing the same with me as it gives me a level to aspire to.

sc-xc

[ignore]smee[/ignore]

RudeBoy
    Free Member

trailmonkey – Member
    Please make it stop

It’s never, ever going to stop. It will torment you for all eternity. It will devour every ounce of your soul, and possess you to the core of your very being…

shinsplints

No ,as long as you arent rocking out with your cock out… 😀

antigee

juggling could pass the time until you can’t do that stuff anymore and you will be that red faced old person

daveb
    Free Member

I go out with some groups that some of the people are slower than me, when out with them i will do extra sections, go back down the hill and up again, for this I am ‘smug’ (to a small minority of people who perhaps should just stay at home and knit). When I am out with faster people than me if they do the same thing I just see this as them keeping warm and something for me to aim for, I guess it just depends on what you want out of biking.

bomberman
    Free Member

In the slower group I am called smug and arrogant

this being you smee, i seriously doubt that anyone has actually called you smug and arrogant to your face

MrNutt
    Free Member

I can’t see a problem with it to be honest, In fact I’d prefer it, nothing more annoying than seeing the faster riders all fresh faced swapping chamois cream recipes as you manage to crawl to the top of the climb by your fingernails

djglover
    Free Member

maybe your riding buddies hang back to try and loose you on purpose?

Smee
    Free Member

bomberman – happens all the time. Some folk cant tell the difference between being arrogant, smug or confident.

johnhoo
    Free Member

I know I’m slow on the climbs.

I also know (to a degree, since I’ve been hibernating lately) which people in my ‘club’ are not slow on the climbs.

If there’s a ride involving lots of climbing, and I know they’re going to be there, then I tend not to bother turning up for fear of making them slow like me. Nowt to do with arrogance or smugness, I just know that some folks like to ride faster than I can manage, and I don’t want to spoil their ride…

however, if someone should so much as hint that I’m spoiling their ride by being so slow, then I’ll make a point of never riding with them again. I’m sure it’s not their loss, but it certainly isn’t mine

mboy
    Free Member

Some folk cant tell the difference between being arrogant, smug or confident.

Right back atcha Smee 😉

Smee
    Free Member

I hope whoever put the “smee please die” tag up the top of the page gets a life ban.

bomberman
    Free Member

well if it happens all the time then perhaps they’re right? maybe you are a smug arrogant git?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Smee/Glupton,

I’m looking forward to meeting you on the Glen Clova weekend and I’m willing to take it at face value that you are a real nice guy in the flesh, just “misunderstood”.

However, your online persona is a tedious arse and it’s possibly that online persona that people want to see “dead”. I don’t think anyone on here actually wishes death on a real person, so why not try being the person you are in real life.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

That ‘smee please die’ tag is well out of order.

Posting tags anonymously, rather than actually posting comments under your own forum name, is cowardly.

And something like that is just nasty.

No need for that.

johnhoo
    Free Member

agreed

MrNutt
    Free Member

agreed

daveb
    Free Member

I will second that second agreed

djglover
    Free Member

What stuartie_c said. Maybe its time for a less annoying alter ego 🙄

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Maybe, Djglover, but that’s up to Smee. As long as he don’t break any rules, then I don’t really see a problem.

Personally, I think Smee should stay as he is. He makes me laugh!

something like that tag might upset someone. It is inconsiderate at best, hateful at worst. I’m sure it was not meant literally, but people should try not to post owt that might actually upset someone in a personal manner. S’not nice.

djglover
    Free Member

then I don’t really see a problem

me neither, I like to feed the trolls ocassionaly to see if they will bite.

shinsplints

Save Smee ! 🙂

Will-M

Agreed, that’s horrible.

Back on topic, it only make you a smug git if you come back to where they are, then speed back up past them again, as if you only came down to show them that you were better than them. Perhaps go all the way back down to the bottom and ride up, that way you leave them in peace to die slowly on thier granny ring until they reach the top.

It also depends on if you ride with real friends; I’m slower than most of my riding friends, but I’ve known them for a while and they couldnt care less how long I took.

bomberman
    Free Member

my mates brother bought himself a carbon epic, after that he became a right tw*t. he would cut me up all over the place when it was just me and him on climbs with no regard for my line choice whatsoever, and on muddy climbs if he couldnt make it he would stop in the middle of the trail so i couldn’t make it up either and then complain about his tyres not being grippy enough. He’d boast about how fast he could get from A to z and how he had to wait for so-and-so, and how he could have done the ride faster if so-and-so wasn’t there. i don’t ride with him any more. problem solved.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Personally think the tags are simply an expression of the general wishes of the majority, SOMEONE will post what everyone else wants to but doesnt want to get banned 😉 (And no it wasnt me). Pretty light hearted chuckle, rather that starting an abusive thread.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

See, me personally, I just have a chuckle, as I know it’s either some gutless w4nker without the balls to actually say it in a post, or someone who actually knows me, and therefore really wants me dead is just having a laugh.

Ah well…

Smee
    Free Member

Rudeboy – I’m laughing at it too, for the same reasons. Just giving the person the opportunity to man the **** up and grow some balls.

coffeeking
    Free Member

And making a quick u-turn to pretend you have a sense of humour? 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Is it smug and arrogant…’ is closed to new replies.