Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Is it selfish to have more than two children?
  • IHN

Well, I come from a large family: I’m the youngest of four and have three sisters. As they were all in their teens at the same time it did indeed teach me something – to let inane, pointless bickering like this wash straight over me 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

how about 4 but all adopted is this selfish?
    Should I hang my head in shame ?

As I recall test found that the environmental impact of washable nappies vs pampers was about equal.

An Environment Agency report, in 2005, looked at the relative environmental impacts of both real nappies and disposables. The report confirmed that parents using real nappies are able to save waste. In addition the report indicated that if parents were to follow guidelines recommended by the Real Nappy Campaign and manufacturers their global warming impact would be less than when using disposables. ‘The report’s overall conclusion that there is little overall difference in the environmental impact of real nappies and disposables was based on the report’s estimates of the behaviour of a sample of real nappy users. Criticism of the validity of the sample used for this purpose led to an announcement by the Environment Agency that a further report would be produced to show the impact of a range of behaviours including following the recommendations endorsed by the Real Nappy Campaign, WEN and the nappy manufacturers for the use of real nappies.

Now republished and accepts that they do reduce the impact on the environement. About 40 % better for the environment

FFS how can reusing something be WORSE for the environment than using something once ? Anyone think of other examples where it is better to NOT recycle should I get disposable plates at home as washing my plates is destructive what about my clothes should I save the environment by wearing them once only?
    The stuff people will beleive …. Anyone rememeber when the cigarette industry refused to accept they were dangerous or linked to cancer?

aracer
    Free Member

It usually helps not to admit you’re trolling.

richpips
    Free Member

Anyone think of other examples where it is better to NOT recycle

Toilet paper? 🙂

mrsflash
    Free Member

Indeed, detergent in the watercourse is one of the major (if not THE major) pollution problem faced by the waterways and sea IIRC.

probably partly because most people use far far too much, and then have to use fabric softener because they have used too much detergent. You only need to use a tiny amount. Same with dishwasher powder (infact I often use no powder at all in the dishwasher).

Junkyard
    Free Member

richpips – I will concede the ground on that point whilst pointing out most of it is recycled but NOT in that sense !!!
    SUPERB Comeback 1 – 0 to you

chakaping
    Free Member

You only need to use a tiny amount. Same with dishwasher powder (infact I often use no powder at all in the dishwasher).

Says the woman who’s named after a brand of cleaning product.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Says the woman who’s named after a brand of cleaning product.

lol good point 🙂

Bunnyhop

I’m with you mrsflash.
    We use the co-op supermarkets own environmently green washing products, very good value compared to ‘Ecover’. Also I use a tiny squirt when washing up too.I think there maybe a joke in there somewhere?

ourmaninthenorth

Given that the ageing population issues that affect the UK are being worsened by the f***ing baby boomers all retiring early on good pensions and living too long while making full use of the NHS etc., there ought to be a euthanasia policy introduced:

If you were born in the baby boom post-WW2, have a final salary pension scheme (and, where relevant, retired early) and are making full and increasing use of the NHS, then you are to be culled.

It’s the only propotionate response.

sofatester
    Free Member

LOL @ ourmaninthenorth 😀

Bunnyhop

‘Logans run’ ?

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

I remember the trouble Jenny Agutters legs caused in Logans Run:

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

The world is over populated;

We need a virus that will become rampant in the poorer uneducated parts of the planet. It should have almost no cure and if there is one it should be prohibitively expensive so that only those in the rich west can easily get it. That might help with the worlds population problem…

Plus we in the west should also standby and do nothing when people in the third world decide some good old fashioned genocide is in order. we should also stop helping when countries have greedy leaders that neglect their populations, both of those will help to…

If that was allowed to happen then maybe these pointless charity iniatives to educate the third world wouldn’t be needed and the ‘chuggers’ would stop bothering me in the street when I’m on my way to buy some videogames and a Starbucks…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Also I use a tiny squirt when washing up too.I think there maybe a joke in there somewhere?

Eh? I don’t do your washing up! I seldom do mine, tbh… 😯

(Sees pictures of Jenny Agutter; forgets what thread was about…)

chakaping
    Free Member

Your “troll” was dead on.

Excess children are not the problem, driving them round in 4×4 vehicles is.

MoreCashThanDash

Have as many kids as you like – just don’t expect state handouts/child benefits for more than two of them.

zaskar
    Free Member

I’m too selfish to have kids.

Bikes, cars, dates, women, holidays, do what I want-when I want.

Stops, pauses…quiet, what about when I’m old? alone?

Wooohooo! punches the air-no kids here! air guitar….

Doesn’t mean I don’t like practising to make babies with available ladies… 😈

corroded
    Free Member

jonv, that isn’t a troll, it’s a valid point. For most of my life I’ve been a greenie that thought one child was enough. Then recently I saw some figures showing the bulge of post-war baby boomers retiring imminently (my parents), the increase in life expectancy and the Europe-wide drop in birth rate. If you think we’re in hard times now, in not too many years we’ll be utterly shafted as a massively expanding old-age population needs to be supported by a rapidly shrinking pool of taxpayers. It reversed my opinion about immigration (more please!) and the birth rate (more please!).
    As for the eco argument, even assuming James Lovelock is exaggerating, having one child instead of two won’t make the slightest, tiniest jot of difference to our fate. Hell, one of those children might come up with a source of clean energy and save the human race.

alpin
    Free Member

taken from bbc blurb….

“Benefit of a large family is that they learn to share and they do their bit for the planet by never flying long-haul”

brilliant!

the problem with the world is that there are too many people here.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think the retired population should be culled off. Once you have reached 65 you are no longer any use to the state.

You no longer work yet you require more aid from things like the health service etc, plus you have a much lower quality of life at that age.

This would be a decent option. Or get rid of people with disabilities for the same reasons as those above.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

‘I never planned to have this many children. They got to a certain age and I wanted another

Thats the problem with the world, people are always wanting things. Stop being greedy.

bigrich

I want a couple of clones, so i can harvest kidneys, knees, lungs etc when mine pack up.

now thats reasonably selfish

epicyclo

10 children is the minimum required to ensure you don’t have to depend on the tender mercies of the state when you get old.

My father called it “Chinese Superannuation” – I wish I had taken his advice.

To balance this, cull the greenies, they will willingly make the sacrifice for the environment.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

More people on the planet = less resources each.

The arguments about aging population are valid – but nothing to do with saving / conserving resources. It really depends on your priorities but I have no children and won’t have children for 3 reasons
    1: the environmental crisis and shortage of resources. I don’t want to contribute to overpopulation
    2: – I believe that standards of living will collapse over the next 75yrs as the resource shortage bites so don’t want to create people whos lives will be a struggle for resources
    3: I’m a selfish git and like my child free lifestyle.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

1930 -> World population 2 billion
    Now -> World population 6.5 billion

Growth supported largely by availablility of oil for fertilizers/transport/chemicals(including medicines)

Peak oil -> about now

Hmmm…..

djglover
    Free Member

Glad there are lots of bitter people here remaining chaste, to offset me whilst I spawn a large family 😀

barca
    Free Member

“…should we just have one child and send aid money abroad ?… Or, we have no children and send money abroad…”

Close but not quite. Have one child, send IT abroad! Result. I have one, where do I despatch if from?

lazybike
    Free Member

1st time here so hello, it’s not selfish it’s insanity! we have 4, used to have 5 but hung 1 as an example, yeah i know bit extreme.

sofatester
    Free Member

How did you choise the “one” lazybike?

aracer
    Free Member

I presume that list is in reverse priority order, TJ?

jon1973
    Free Member

Glad there are lots of bitter people here remaining chaste, to offset me whilst I spawn a large family

A lot of the people on this board are single men with no hope of finding a wife, let alone having children. That’s why they’re bitter 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

reply to the what else is it worse to recycle coment…………

it takes more energy and resources to wash up a cup than it does to use plastic or paper vending cups.

As proof heres a thought experiment, burn a paper cup, now imagine how much water you could heat up with the energy released, its not enough to wash up a mug thats for sure. So its better to throw the paper cup away than to burn several to wash up your mug.

lazybike
    Free Member

why sofatester, are you struggling with a similar decision? for us he uttererd those words “dad I need a bike with gears” last we heard from him.

sofatester
    Free Member

I would have picked the one that said; “i want just one gear, oversized wheels and those funny shaped bars”.

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Is it selfish to have more than two children?’ is closed to new replies.