Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • is it safe to run a 25.4 mtb stem with 26 road bars
  • firestarter
    Free Member

Anyone ? Ta

james
    Free Member

No

ken_shields
    Free Member

it won't fit

0.6mm may not seem like much but it's a lot when it's an interference fit

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

beer can shim?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the bars are bigger than the stem Jeremy

I've done it and it did fit in my case. Not advisable obviously, and stems are not expensive so not much point.

pondering_panda
    Free Member

What "James" said. But louder.

You may be able to bodge something, but personally I would always be wondering if I could trust it!

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

I've tried something like that, only the other way around, and you have to really tighten the stem. I ran it with nitto drops (narrower than normal ones), and occasionally the drops would start dipping mid-ride (and I only weigh 8ish stone!).
    If you can get the right stem for it, that's preferable 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Thanks all I won't bother then

iain1775
    Free Member

been running road bars like that on my old mtb that i use for commuting for 6 months now, only sees road and cyclepath work, no offroad but 10 miles a day, 4 days a week. No issues whatsoever
    have used an Easton EA70 and a RF Deus stem during that time

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, it'll be fine.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

reggiegasket – Member

the bars are bigger than the stem Jeremy
    D'oh!

clubber
    Free Member

Depends. I've had a couple of bikes set up in that way BUT they were both with single bolt clamp stems (eg not a separate face plate) so that they actually kind of fitted properly. Never had any problems but on your head be it…

clubber
    Free Member

double post

Midnighthour
    Free Member

If you already own the stem, just try it and see. If you have to buy it, get the right size.

iain1775
    Free Member

just to reitterate my earlier post – I only use that bike for commuting, I would dream of risking it offroad (like samari's photo)
    The stem i am now using it with is also a 4 bolt faceplate so (hopefully) the load is spread a bit better

myheadsashed

depends on the stem.

I have a steel stem which runs drop bars fine but I wouldn't want to try it with an aluminium stem.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘is it safe to run a 25.4 mtb stem with 26 road bars’ is closed to new replies.