Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Is it safe to ride with a spoke missing…
  • Kryton57

… On the rear wheel, ss and muddy forest trails so no 6ft gap jumps, just the odd root or two….?

jet26
    Free Member

If the wind is not a ssw and the moon is not full then yes.

pypdjl
    Free Member

You’ll almost certainly die, best not risk it.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Depends on how many you started out with.

36H, fine.

28H, debatable.

Monospoke…probably best not to.

jam-bo

Not quite got around to replacing the one in my HT’s rear wheel. That’s been missing 4 years now…

asterix
    Free Member

I have ridden OK with one broken spoke a few times, but I did whimp out when three let go by pulling out of the rear hub

Mister-P
    Free Member

Certain death.

footflaps

Yep, snapped a spoke on a super lightweight Stans Podium MMX rear wheel on day 2 of a 6 day MTB holiday in Sardinia, rode the rest of the week without any problems (which amazed me as some of the trails were baby head tastic).

patriotpro
    Free Member

You will be fine but the chances of breaking more increas as you lose them!

Replacing it with a piece of dry spaghetti could work. 💡

mikewsmith
    Free Member

3 down on a 32 for a month ended up replacing 9 so your probably fine

Kryton57

Cool. TBH until I changed tyres yesterday I never noticed it so it may have been broken for some time. I’ve ensured the rest of the spokes are tightened to a similar “ping” for consistency.

Its only for one social ride tomorrow while I wait for the new one to be delivered.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Before I was WCA I was known as no-spokes.

The best/worst I achieved was 19 spokes remaining in a 32 spoke wheel.

The wheel was a bit flexi and the last three spokes snapped on the final ride home before I rebuilt the wheel

gonzy
    Free Member

my chain snapped 2 weeks ago snapping the rear mech in half! as a result the chain got stuck in the wheel and snapped a spoke on the drive side. the rim went out of true but it was still rideable and i managed the final 2 miles into work in singlespeed mode until the chain jumped up the cassette and snapped again under the tension right outside my office. this was on 36 hole rim. check that the rim is still straight and that the surrounding spokes still have enough tension to support your weight.

creaser
    Free Member

I snapped 4 in a Hope xc3 rear wheel(only 24 to start with) last week the tyre was nearly touching the frame the wheel was that buckled but managed to ride 22miles back to the van sh##ting it as it was only my 2nd ride in 10 weeks after busting my shoulder

alexpalacefan

Yeah, if a replacement is on the way, you’ll be OK for a short while

APF

qwerty
    Free Member

Tis betterer to ride with a spoke missing than a screw loose.

Northwind

Depends on you, and on the wheel. Like, I could probably knock a couple out of my 721s and they’d still be strong like ox. But if I ride for long on my Traversees with a spoke missing, they quickly end up straight like Mercury.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Is it safe to ride with a spoke missing…’ is closed to new replies.