• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is it safe to buy a cross bike with a press fit bottom bracket yet?
  • aidenbradley
    Free Member

Hello
    I’m looking at getting a cross bike now that hydraulic disc equipped bikes are getting sensibly priced. I want something for occasional cx races, winter training and commuting and the odd long rough road ride, poss also paris roubaix sportive type stuff. I’m looking at the cube cross race, eastway balun, cannonball caadx apex one and Boardman cx team. I have a feeling all of these have some derivation off a press fit bottom bracket. Have these been improved of late? Or are they unreliable shite like the bb30 in my caad10?
    Am I worrying about nothing, should I just get the cube (that’s the one I’m leaning towards) and learn how to use a mallet and a drift? Or does a threaded bb cx bike with hydraulic disc brakes exist for around a grand?
    Any suggestions will be met with gratitude.
    Thank you

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You can get adaptors that press in and screw together so you can run normal cranks. Think Wheels MFG and Praxis to name a few.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Given that we had a thread two days ago about a new caadx with creaking bb30 i’d say they are still as bad as ever.

simondbarnes

Not had any issues with the BB86 pressfit on my Crockett. The BB30 in my old Felt was fine too. I have seen lots of BB30 & PF30 issues on other people’s bikes though.

Garry_Lager

Not sure there’s any scope for improvement on it really – in the sense that they are what they are. A bb30 seems like the simplest possible bb design so there’s nothing to change unless you’re talking about improved frame fabrication techniques or something like that.

I actually prefer them on MTB and cross bikes, and own several – no creaks, though. If a persistent creak were to strike I might change my mind.

tiim
    Free Member

Boardman CX team here with pressfit BB, 5 years later and 2 sets of bearings it’s still going fine.

Something over 10,000km on the bike including a few seasons of cross and 1 full rebuild.

Occasional creaking has always come back to the NDS crank needing tightening (which provides the preload into the BB). Great bike, recommended especially with BC discount / waiting for the next random halfords sale.

rOcKeTdOg

As ever the stock bearing will be below par. Correctly fit a decent bearing & you shouldn’t have any issues

Oh & the entry level cube cx looks ace

Digger90
    Free Member

Are any PF BB’s any good? Not in my experience – they are ALL sh1te. Every one I’ve ever had – utter sh1te.

I blame Cannondale for inflicting the stupidest, cost-cutting, no-benefit-whatsoever-to-owners, so called ‘invention’ on the market.

#NeverbuyaCannondaleveragain

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Fit a Hope PF46….but then people don’t like spending money on things like BBs do they 🙄

schmiken

I’ve got a Cube Cross Race – excellent bike. Planning on replacing the BB when it dies with a Hope one. Got a Hope one on the Spark which had been flawless so far.

nemesis
    Free Member

Bb86 on mine and no issues at all in 4 years. Key is to ensure it’s a tight fit from new

lunge

BB86/92, yes.
    BB30, no.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is it safe to buy a cross bike with a press fit bottom bracket yet?’ is closed to new replies.