Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Is it right that… (online shopping content)
  • Stu_N

Say, I ordered something online a week ago (it was a bike bit) and the company takes payment immediately. Then a week later nothing has arrived – no email or the part coming in the post so I phone them to chase up.

When I phone said company, they say they don't actually have what I ordered as the online stock system isn't in real time and they have sold out so can't get any more of what I ordered and paid for.

Is it right that
    – they take payment when I order and before they confirm they have stock
    – don't tell me they don't have the stuff but sit on my money for an entire week
    – only refund me a week later when I phone to chase up where my stuff is

Fair enough if they refund in a day or so, but taking a week to do that and only when I chase them seems a bit shonky. And I now need to see about getting me bits from elsewhere and have missed the next best deal that was knocking around last week.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Thought distance selling regulations meant that they could only charge you when they despatched the item.

mtbfix

It may be a deferred payment. This takes the money to ensure it is there and holds funds until the order is released, at which point the retailer is paid.

Stu_N

Money has actually come out of my account (can see it as a transaction in online banking).

uplink
    Free Member

They can take payment before shipping but there are rules & guidelines that I can't recall right now

GaryLake
    Free Member

From running an ecommerce biz myself, I seem to remember what Chats saying as being true…

BigJohn

They can take the money straight away and have 28 days to deliver or refund.

aracer
    Free Member

Not if they don't have stock – can only take money if they're in a position to dispatch (though they are then allowed to not bother dispatching for a while).

Can we play "guess the retailer" now? I'll have a punt at a company in the SW who aren't always very saintly – I had a very similar experience with them.

Stu_N

Not playing "guess the retailler" yet.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Is it right that… (online shopping content)’ is closed to new replies.