Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 874 total)
  • Is it racist…
  • Brown
    Free Member

But thats just the point, i’ve never ever met anyone who was offended by calling a chinese takeaway a ‘chinky’, never in 40 years. And that includes amongst several chinese mates, one who owns a takeout. If anything its a term of endearment towards their great food.

And I have, more than once. If your mates don’t mind the term, or see it as a term of endearment, then that’s cool and there’s no problem. Mine don’t like it, so I wouldn’t use it with them. Context, innit?

outofbreath
    Free Member

“But thats just the point, i’ve never ever met anyone who was offended by calling a chinese takeaway a ‘chinky’, never in 40 years. And that includes amongst several chinese mates, one who owns a takeout. If anything its a term of endearment towards their great food.
    Lots of folks on here say its offensive and upsetting, but I’ve never met anyone outside of the intraweb who is actually slighlty offended by the term when used in that context”

Chinky isn’t even in dictionary.com as a term for food at all – but it does list it as a derogatory term for people. Maybe someone can check the OED to see what that says about the food use?

Cougar

I personally dont think its racist as that means that there is intent imo and not ignorance. Still if someone doesn’t like something why keep using it?

I dont use the phrase now.

That’s a pretty nice summation of how I feel, I think.

“Offence” is an odd concept. I’ve said before but context / intent is king. Going for a “chinky” could be said perfectly innocently / naively, and is a world apart from calling someone an effing chink. To label someone as racist for the former is, well, I’d hazard that would be someone actively looking to be offended so they can make a song and dance about it.

Of course, once you discover that some people might find a term offensive, you’ve got two choices as to whether you carry on using it or not. I’m not convinced that carrying on using it would make you “racist” per se, rather that you’re a bit of a plum who simply doesn’t care about offending people. Throwing “racist” around dilutes the meaning and trivialises people who are actually racist. You’ve used an offensive word, not burned down a mosque.

It can go too far the other way, of course. I got chastised last year for referring to what I thought was the politically-correctism du jour, “coloured people.” After being told I can’t say that and asking what I should say instead, I was told, “people of colour.” FFS, that’s the same words in a different order!

I personally think that being offended by words in isolation is a bit weird. They’re just a bundle of letters, the crux isn’t “what did they say” but rather “what did they mean?” “****” is just a contraction of “Pakistani,” the fact that it’s an insult is insane. When I was young it was a general description in the same way that someone might be a Scot, it only really became an insult because it was so often preceded by “effing” by the actual racists. IME anyway.

Conversely, “****” has been reappropriated by black people as a term of endearment, does that make it ok for me to use it to refer to someone? It’s the same word, what’s the difference? Oh yes – context.

I appreciate that I’m in a minority and that people generally will infer what they like from words regardless of actual intent. So I suppose, if people took a little time to at least try and avoid words that are potentially offensive, and those who tend to spend half their lives trying to be offended chilled the **** out a bit, we’d all get on a lot better all round.

tomhoward

Racism for me requires intent.

I disagree. That implies there’s no such thing as casual racism.
    If something’s said ‘without intent’ but still upsets people of a particular race based on their race, that’s racist, regardless of intent.

You really put a chink in his armour there.

Hope he wasn’t stood on a slope at the time.

teasel
    Free Member

does anyone actually have the etymology of ‘Chinky’ ? where does the word actually come from?

I know it’s not what you’re asking whatsoever but when I was a kid in the 70s and my dad asked if we wanted a chinky the images of prawn balls would fill my head. Still does to a degree so this thread is making me quite peckish.

So, chinky = prawn balls. In my distorted little mind.

EDIT : And noodles…!

EDIT 2 : A quick Google and the font of all truth claims:

A number of dictionaries have provided different suggestions as to the origin of chink. Some of these suggestions are that it originated from the Chinese courtesy ching-ching, or that it evolved from the word China, or that it was an alteration of Qing (Ch’ing), as in the Qing Dynasty.

Another possible etymology is that chink evolved from the Indo-Iranian word for China, that word now having similar pronunciations in various Indo-European languages, such as Persian.

atlaz
    Free Member

“****” is just a contraction of “Pakistani,” the fact that it’s an insult is insane.

Apropos of nothing, a Pakistani friend of mine lived in Texas around the time of the 9/11 attacks. He said he decided the only way to deal with someone yelling “****” at him in the street was to wave cheerily and say “Yes, how clever of you to know that I’m not Indian” and then move quickly on before they worked out he was taking the piss. Whilst he wasn’t upset to be called a **** by a friend he said the easiest thing was to avoid the term entirely as idiots need a rule book to know when it is and isn’t okay to use a potentially derogatory term as a term of endearment.

kerley
    Free Member

You know every racist slang word in use in the uk?

I bet you don’t.

I don’t need to know them. I wouldn’t use a word if I didn’t know what it meant.

ton

English beef and mushrooms, with beansprouts. number 13 at our local east Asian takeaway in the 70’s.

Brown
    Free Member

I think a lot of the problem here is that we’re confusing racist terms and racist people. They aren’t the same.

When I say that I consider ‘chinky’ a racist term I don’t mean to imply that someone who uses it is racist. Intent is a consideration, how it’s received is too. It’s all about context.

And now, as a middle-aged, middle-class white man, I think I’ve said enough.

ads678

Program is IT or information technology to you as I’m guessing you also don’t like acronyms?

Not sure why you’d guess that, but you’re wrong.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It can go too far the other way, of course. I got chastised last year for referring to what I thought was the politically-correctism du jour, “coloured people.” After being told I can’t say that and asking what I should say instead, I was told, “people of colour.” FFS, that’s the same words in a different order!

yes, same words, but it changes the emphasis and has different heritage. ‘Coloured’ was a term used by white people to designate ‘others’. People of colour is a term created by people of colour to define themselves. Hegemony and power relations and all that. Others also say that Coloured people defines people by their colour first, whereas People of colour gives people their humanity first.

tomhoward

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I personally think that being offended by words in isolation is a bit weird. They’re just a bundle of letters, the crux isn’t “what did they say” but rather “what did they mean?”

why then was my post removed?

teasel
    Free Member

See how easy this is?

Is that really necessary…?

tomhoward

I personally think that being offended by words in isolation is a bit weird. They’re just a bundle of letters, the crux isn’t “what did they say” but rather “what did they mean”

This x(sideways 8 )

teasel
    Free Member

English beef and mushrooms, with beansprouts. number 13 at our local east Asian takeaway in the 70’s.

🙂

I bet you’re hungry now, aintcha…?

kerley
    Free Member

Is that really necessary…?

No, apologies to outofbreath – have removed.

teasel
    Free Member

Good show!

🙂

binners

I personally think that being offended by words in isolation is a bit weird. They’re just a bundle of letters, the crux isn’t “what did they say” but rather “what did they mean”

Life is just… like… SOOOOOOOOO complicated nowadays!

outofbreath
    Free Member

“I don’t need to know them. I wouldn’t use a word if I didn’t know what it meant. See how easy this is?”

No you claim you knew all racist words, you didn’t claim you never used a racist word.

I’ve never said Chinky in my life (I’ve written it a few times today) but I still didn’t know it was racist when applied to food, and I’m seriously doubting if it is. I’m waiting to hear what the OED says on the subject.

Solo
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

It’s a computer “program” when referring to software precisely because it was originally coined in the US (see also floppy disk and hard disk versus compact disc; the first two are American inventions, the second a joint venture between the non-American companies Philips and Sony).

I’d casually, politely, disagree with that, if I may.
    Being the first to invent something, as great as that may be, doesn’t bestow upon the inventor, the right to incorrectly spell disc.
    Just my view.
    🙂

Edit:
    14 pages.

tomhoward

Has anyone started a gofundme page for the local stables? I suspect they’ll be needing a new roof soon.

kerley
    Free Member

No you claim you knew all racist words, you didn’t claim you never used a racist word.

Where did I say I knew all racist words?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So what aboot calling someone a Jock, or dare I say it a Sassenach?

Sassenach is from Scottish Gaelic Sasunnoch, Irish Sasanach, from Latin Saxones ‘Saxons’.
    It just means ‘Saxons’. There’s nothing derogatory about it at all. Personally I find it something of a compliment. 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Where did I say I knew all racist words?

Wow! You must be super racist to take the time go and learn them all!!

binners

Has anyone asked Prince Phillip where he stands on this? Its not racist unless he says it is

ton

how is this for a racist word. nitty gritty.

my wife works for leeds council. a work mate was pulled in by HR for using nitty gritty in a housing department meeting.

tomhoward

Huh. Every day is a school day.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Where did I say I knew all racist words?”

You said this:

“Why would I need to find anything out ?
    It really isn’t a grey area to me, but if it is to you then you need to think about why.”

I thought you were saying that you knew every racist term and therefore had no need to ever check.

If you’re just saying you have no idea either, then I can’t see how you can possibly dispute my original point.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Wow! You must be super racist to take the time go and learn them all!!”

That was going to be my next point!

nickhit3
    Free Member

re nitty gritty, from the same article above

There is no evidence to support the suggestion that ‘nitty-gritty’ has any connection with slave ships. It may have originated in the USA as an African-American expression, but that’s as near as it gets to slavery. It isn’t even recorded in print until the 1930s, long after slave ships had disappeared, and none of the early references make any link to slavery.

so… not racist then?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m with Ton on this though really. As a Midlander living darn Sarf, chinky refers to the food or the place to me. I’ve never heard it used insultingly and I think you’d have a hard job making it an insult TBH. That said I don’t use the term any more because I don’t eat Chinese food, and it’s not used round here so it’s a word that’s out of use in my vocabulary. One for the professionally offended though? Certainly.

True story, from my dad.
    My dad worked in a factory in our home town of Sutton in Ashfield for many years. Mid 1970s until he retired, 30+ years. There were quite a few blokes there and more than one was called Stan or Stanley. One of these blokes was an Asian chap. Wether he was actually called Stan or it was a name he went by or a nickname I don’t know and nor does it matter. But, to his face, in a decent manner, he was refered to as PakiStan. This was no problem. Nobody was being a dick and he didn’t mind. That was his home country. No issue for many years……
    Until the firm was bought out then when the new management heard they went apeshit. I think the blokes just ignored them and carried on.
    It’s all about the context words are used in. I’m sure any one of us could be incredibly insulting about anyone without swearing or using any racist terms at all.

kerley
    Free Member

I thought you were saying that you knew every racist term and therefore had no need to ever check

Nope, never said anything like that.

Cougar

Sassenach is from Scottish Gaelic Sasunnoch, Irish Sasanach, from Latin Saxones ‘Saxons’.
    It just means ‘Saxons’. There’s nothing derogatory about it at all. Personally I find it something of a compliment.

But etymology is irrelevant, otherwise “****” would be fine. Is “Sassenach” usually intended to be derogatory? Just checking as I’ve no idea whether I should be offended by it or not, unable as I am to interpret nuance from language.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

“Wow! You must be super racist to take the time go and learn them all!!”

That was going to be my next point!

perhaps so, but i wasn’t being serious

scotroutes

But etymology is irrelevant, otherwise “****” would be fine. Is “Sassenach” usually intended to be derogatory? Just checking as I’ve no idea whether I should be offended by it or not, unable as I am to interpret nuance from language.
    [/quote]It wouldn’t be derogatory if my Mother-in-law used it but it might be if I did….

outofbreath
    Free Member

I like being referred to as Sassenach and ‘Roast Beef’, but that’s because I assume it’s a good natured jibe, not intended to be truly insulting.

All the more reason for a definitive list!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Sassenach isn’t derogatory. I’m not sure of it’s etymology but here it refers to people from south of the Wall, and in the highlands it refers to people south of the highland line (Lowlanders). I think the highland term is the original one and is used by lowland Scots because we all like to think of ourselves as kilt-wearing, claymore-wielding, heather-striding, sassenach-slaying Bravehearts.
    OMFG, I’m turning into an anti-me racist.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’ve no idea whether I should be offended by it or not, unable as I am to interpret nuance from language.

That’s because you’re a ****

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 874 total)

The topic ‘Is it racist…’ is closed to new replies.