Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 874 total)
  • Is it racist…
  • giantalkali
    Free Member

I work in a veterinary surgery, our surgeon Leroy, a 6’3″ black guy of around 50yrs old, laughs his tits off when we get a Maine Coon in.

Drac

You know what. On this occasion CM is right.

funkmasterp

CharlieMungus – Member
    Oh,**** off.

You know, just because you can use the word
    It doesn’t mean you should.

Now, now Charles no need for profanity. Words are just words, some people are offended by them and some aren’t, regardless of their ethnicity. Why do you find this so difficult to understand? 😉

I don’t use the word and I don’t like it. In fact I find racism abhorrent, but I point blank refuse to take offense at a collection of letters. In my opinion it’s giving in to the hatred.

The fact that some people in Australia have chosen to reclaim Wog kinda makes me happy and I say fair play to them for doing so.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It’s for your own good really, I recognise you aren’t very smart and I’m worried that you might go out there and use the term, thinking that it’s OK,.l just because you get the timpression that its OK in here. You might find yourself in bother with people who might not appreciate or take time to read the Guardian article

I don’t use the word

You just did

and I don’t like it. In fact I find racism abhorrent, but I point blank refuse to take offense at a collection of letters

Unless it is profanity, as above?

funkmasterp

Don’t worry about me or my intellect. Resorting to personal insults is never a good sign. I grew up in West Yorkshire within a melting pot of different cultures and ethnicities. I have friends from all kinds of different backgrounds. I have taken part in anti-racism demonstrations.

I had to use the word in order to ask what it meant. I’ve never heard the term porridge wog before. You want to have a debate on an open forum about these words, but without actually typing them?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Don’t worry about me or my intellect. Resulting Resorting to personal insults is never a good sign.

It wasn’t an insult, it was just repeating what you said yourself.

funkmasterp

Thanks for correcting what auto-correct did on my phone. That’s really kind of you.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OK, group hug and beaker time now, surely?

Drac

funkmasterp

😆 at Drac and the Captain

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Thanks for correcting what auto-correct did on my phone. That’s really kind of you

Yeah. Sure, and congratulations.

poah
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member

Oh,**** off.

You know, just because you can use the word
    It doesn’t mean you should.

and what gives you the right to tell people what they can and can’t say.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

and what gives you the right to tell people what they can and can’t say.

Ok, where did I say that? Or which word is it you didn’t understand?

poah
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member

Ok, where did I say that? Or which word is it you didn’t understand?

and you’re questioning other people’s intelligence lol

tjagain

Charlie – calm down a bit dude.

I hate bigotry in all forms and have campaigned against it all my life. You are going well over the top on this thread IMO

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

and you’re questioning other people’s intelligence lol

Two things,
    I did not tell anyone what they could and couldn’t say.
    I did not question anyone’s intelligence.

But apart from that, you made some interesting points, though you did fail to show me, as I asked.

TJ, going over the top? Tell me what do you think is an appropriate reaction to some one using the word wog, or trying to justify it, even if modified by the word porridge? Is ‘potato ****’ acceptable too?

funkmasterp

This is getting a bit out of hand now. You questioned my intelligence (twice over the last 24 pages) and lost the plot at me because I questioned what porridge wog meant after somebody else had already typed it.

I will admit I’ve been guilty of poking you with a big stick occasionally just to watch the reaction and I apologise for this and will stop doing it

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

This is getting a bit out of hand now. You questioned my intelligence

What? I didn’t question your intelligence, if nothing else, it wasn’t a question. I only repeated what you had said about your intellingence.

But I knew you wouldn’t take offence, because, well, it’s only a collection of letters

funkmasterp

You have utterly lost me now. Maybe it’s because I is thick? I’m not offended, just completely bemused to be honest!

tjagain

Charlie – you have made your point. All you are doing now is perpetuating the arguement and quite honesty from where I sit your reactions seem rather Millie Tant.

there is a point at which reactions like yours cause a counter reaction thus become counter productive and IMO you passed that a while go

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You have utterly lost me now. Maybe it’s because I is thick? I’m not offended, just completely bemused to be honest!

Well, which bit was it you didn’t understand?

TJ, you may be right, but I find it difficult to let such casual bigotry pass, especially in a culture where there seems to be a tacit acceptance of it

funkmasterp

I’m not playing with you anymore as you appear to have stopped making any sense whatsoever. I’m going to have an adult discussion with the piece of broken masonry I can see from my office window. At least it won’t contradict itself every five minutes.

yunki
    Free Member

Only a ninja can sneak up on another ninja

tjagain

Charlie – this is the lesson I tried to learn from my banning. Make you point and move on. Its not easy – my fingers twitch over the keyboard often

Try thinking after you write it but before you hit post ” does this post add anything to the debate or is it simply the same point over and over again?”

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’m not playing with you anymore as you appear to have stopped making any sense whatsoever. I’m going to have an adult discussion with the piece of broken masonry I can see from my office window. At least it won’t contradict itself every five minutes

Ok, just one last attempt to explain…
    1) Previously, you said you were not very intelligent (or words to that effect)
    2) This time I said you were not very intelligent

See? I don’t know you but I trusted your judgement on this!
    We agree!

I don’t know where the other insult to your intelligence occurred in this thread, but I’m sure if you point it out, I can clarify that too.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

does this post add anything to the debate or is it simply the same point over and over again?”

It only happens when people ask the same question over again. You’ll notice I only start with a statement, pretty much everything else is a response when I am directly addressed

funkmasterp

1) Previously, you said you were not very intelligent (or words to that effect)

Where? I don’t recall doing so, hence my confusion.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

OK own up, who replaced TJ with Kofi Annan?

tjagain

“I refer the honourable gentleman to the post I made earlier”

Its the urge to get the last word in that does for folk like you and me.

I am trying to give you the perspective I gained from being the centre of repetitive arguments to being banned to sneaking back on here under the radar and then trying to avoid the same traps I fell into on my previous incarnation

and with that – I have made my point you can accept it or not.

tjagain

LOL @ Muppetwrangler

Tom-B
    Free Member

24 pages, wow!!! Only read the first half dozen posts. Any clarification on whether or not it is or isn’t racist?

ton

anyone with a ounce of sense knows it is not racist.
    it is just not very pc.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Answered definitivly by the OED on page 11.

funkmasterp

anyone with a ounce of sense knows it is not racist.
    it is just not very pc.

Where were you on page one when we needed you? 😀

ton

ton – Member

racist, no. imho
    not very PC. yes.

Posted 2 days ago #

from page one

Tom-B
    Free Member

😆

Pretty sure the OED defined it as a racist term ton. Maybe they’re just lacking sense though eh?

AlexSimon

How do you explain something as being “not very PC”, unless it’s because it’s a racial slur?
    At what point along the racial slur scale does something pass from being “not very PC” to being “racist”?

tjagain

It all depends on context and intent. Few if any words are racist on their own. Its the intent and the context that makes them so

nealglover
    Free Member

Here we go again 🙄

Another 24 pages ?

Solo
    Free Member

tjagain – Member
    I am trying to give you the perspective I gained from being the centre of repetitive arguments to being banned to sneaking back on here under the radar and then trying to avoid the same traps I fell into on my previous incarnation

Are you telling me you are “The” TandemJeremy of Yore?

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 874 total)

The topic ‘Is it racist…’ is closed to new replies.