Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Is it possible to run a 4 bolt inner chainring on 3 bolts?
  • GrumpyDave
    Free Member

I was trying to remove the inner chainring to try 1*10 and I sightly mangled one of the inner chain ring bolts on my new SLX cranks (my fault for using what I thought was the correct tool, rather than read the instructions). I drilled the bolt head off but couldn’t get the full bolt out. Is it possible/safe to only use the the other 3 to hold it on and ride it, or will I die?

Any help appreciated
    Thanks,
    Dave

trail_rat
    Free Member

no – i tried once – under heavy chain tension the ring folded badly in a V at that point

RobHilton
    Free Member

If you’ve only got 1 chainring won’t it be in the middle position, so inner bolt mangling irrelevant?

Edit: I’m surprised you’re not dead already

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve seen one fold like that too. Some particularly stiff rings may work but it’ll be a bit of a chance.

trail_rat
    Free Member

also instead of trying to bodge – why not take it to a shop to repair your screw up – its a REALLY easy fix with the right tools – if your near aberdeen im back next week and will do it for you !

traildog
    Free Member

You won’t die, but the chainring might well. I find it very easy to bend or snap 4 ring chainrings and I’m a lightweight wimp.

As mentioned above, should be easy to fix.

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Is it possible to run a 4 bolt inner chainring on 3 bolts?’ is closed to new replies.